2700 IMPBA Members

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Burns

Food for thought
1995/96 the IMPBA had about 2700 members. I have a 95/96 member list.
2020 the IMPBA has less than 900 members. I just checked the IMPBA site.
Thats a huge loss.
No matter what ya all say, it's not the nitro engine tuning, cost of fuel, noise, or cost of hobby or lack of affordable boat racing class or lack of water. The city I live in offered a huge quarry for sancand races to be help, with no donation, showers, bathrooms and free camping for the weekend and best of all no noise restrictions. It's also not that large scale gas or FE, is taking over because there is less than 900 total members racing in all classes.

Let's look at Nitro cars. R/C nitro cars are not cheap, and there is really lesser places to race them. "1/8th scale tires are toast after 3 tanks" Glow plugs burn up faster and piston/sleeves wear out sooner. (Nitro car racing has a stupid huge following).
On the other hand there is a wealth of high end parts and they are available to the general public without having to know the secret codeword or handshake. Members don't get butthurt either.

I have been trying to say about the the IMPBA and membership and racing; I said maybe look at the individual who is a newcomer and not worry so much on the affordable boat to attract new pwr boaters.
Notice the advert for a nitro buggy race.
Jr novice (12 under)
Novice/Beginner (13 upto Any age)
40+
Sportsman and pro (The seasoned non paid pilot can hone skills with the pro's) or basicly it's an Open class.
The beginner class of racing is what sucks people in and keeps them while they learn how to race.

RC Boat racing has been in decline. Like I said, maybe if there was classes where newcomers weren't racing against 40 year vets with impeccable pilot skills, maybe more people would last in this hobby/sport.

If your worried about the future of r/c boat racing and or the IMPBA, changes need to be made asap to our hobby that will actually attract newcomers and keep them. Actually the issue is not attracting people, it's keeping them.

You might think I have been out of the hobby, I do keep track of what is going on. I said it before if you all like racing against the same 12 people than keep it as it is until it's no longer.

I have not seen one post where the individual was thought of. I guess it makes it easy to be a record holder with no members. I guess it's easy to take a 1st place with only 5 boats in a class. But that's just me and my opinion.
When more ppl race rc boats, then and only them will the market be flooded with parts at an even more affordable price, more manufactures would offer marine engines and such.
The cost of manufacturing would be a feasible gamble.
(produce 1000 engines one year and sell only sell 400 of them the cost skyrockets per unit) hence why engines cost 500 plus nowadays. The more members, the more sales, the cost goes down.
When the cost goes down, even more ppl will join.

Back in the 90's rc nitro car racing was without a beginner class and it was relatively a small group of people racing against themselves, much like the IMPBA today.

I wonder why nitro rc car is flourishing now, the only change was the advent of novice and beginner class that opened up the sport to newcomers. Why is the rc nitro boat a dying sport? The only thing that hasn't changed, I could wrong but maybe, just maybe... because no novice or beginner class.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 16
No matter what ya all say, it's not the nitro engine tuning, cost of fuel, noise, or cost of hobby or lack of affordable boat racing class or lack of water.
When the cost goes down, even more ppl will join.

One of the biggest reasons is there have never been race boats that are available at the hobby store ready to run.
You can buy hundreds of bad ass cars, trucks, buggies, airplanes, drones and heli's but boats not so much.
R/c race boating is still a real hobby where you have to have a few skills. Todays generation wants to plunk down the money and be ready to drive/fly/float the thing.
People buy RTR electric and when they realize to go bigger/faster they have to build it themselves or figure out how to get it built and just too much for them so it never happens.

Many of the districts have been trying to add some stock classes.

Most newbies could go with any of the stock classes and start racing and in no time should be able to do good if they are capable of doing so.

Last edited:
Being retired and bored getting up at 5am and tired of the barrage of political chaos on the news I went through the NAMBA and IMBBA membership rosters to look at numbers. THESE are NOT totally accurate to the exact count but approximations I feel are 95% accurate.
Anyway give or take NAMBA 1440 and IMPBA 900 current members. NAMBA west of the Mississippi has almost 800 members. The majority west of of the Rockies with a handful of IMPBA crossovers.
Florida on the east coast has 291 NAMBA members and only 60 IMPBA members which mostly hold cards from both organizations to run races north of our border (GA & AL). A large percentage of the IMPBA # decline is after 2000 when most all clubs in Florida switched to NAMBA over what I have heard was an insurance dispute. Or maybe political power came into play? Either way IMPBA lost over 20% of its members to NAMBA. No judgement just statistics.
Bottom line is about 2500 boat racers in the US. What would be interesting is the percentages in Gas, Nitro & FE before 2000 and now. I have a pretty good sense of the current numbers in Florida presently as I have participated and helped out plus promoted events. Looks to me of our 300 or so racers half of active participants are Gas, and right now close to an even split between FE and Nitro. FE is gaining members from both IC groups.
As to car racing I don't know where there are Nitro or Gas tracks here in Florida but I am sure if I looked I would trip over 100 FE tracks before I found one. Are car racers going from nitro to gas? Food for thought again where do you think new racers will come from. Hint hobby retailers (brick & mortar and internet) are stocking FE cars and boats not glow plugs. 80 % of FE racing is in spec or limited P classes. RTR can compete with minor upgrades and setup. NAMBA recognizes this and has class rules in the book. IMPBA no official recognition.
just my 3 cents.
Mic

To merge IMPBA and NAMBA would we need an entire rewrite of the rule book? Though very similar the two major differences I see are half course mill and one lap penalty vs point deduction for bouy infractions. The mill issue would not be the problem. I don't think many IMPBA members would go for lap penalties which NAMBA members just accept as past practice. ABC vs BDEF easy peasy. Archiving records not so easy.
I agree with Ron cars are easier to fun run as individuals (more roads than ponds). But for competition we face similar obstacles in securing a dedicated race course. I have seen many tracks adjacent to hobby shops but never seem a boat course owned by a retailer. My opinion is skewed here as I have been around boats and water all my life. My five horse Johnson and leaky wooden 15' boat got me to all my friend houses in the summers at our cabin.
Not sure if there is a point anywhere here as we still are only 2400 strong minus all who hold dual memberships. Were there more members in 1990, 2000, 2010, today? Anyone know the real stats. Nationally and by district would be interesting.
Mic (bored and rambling on)

ROAR is not healthy and never has been.. RC cars are "because they can be" run by ANY GROUP at ANY TIME.

Cost is not the main issue with RC boating.. Accessibility to product and water IS as well as the dedication it takes to make it all work out.. "phones are easer.. MUCH easer"

Where is my phone? Answer.. NOT FAR!

Grim

All boat racing is in decline not just RC . Other hobbies and interests take over peoples lives . RC boat racing is a lot of work and people are getting lazier . The answer is there is no answer . As available bodies of water decline , so will the hobby . Sad but true .

Why would a young person spend money on a r/c when the phone can give them pleasure?
Times have changed. Boats are now pretty darn easy to run or race,stockers dont need much at all to be fun. Nitro is another animal that a true HOBBIST indulges in.....
We are losing the hobby to everything thats around us,I just got my 10 year old grand son into boats and racing. In 2 short years he will know everything I do. Then he will get board or take up the most expensive hobby on earth GIRLS.

I recently stepped down from my IMPBA position and got a NAMBA card. Covid killed my race this year but i sure as hell did not donating my fee to NAMBA to keep our HOBBY alive Ive been asked to run for IMPBA president, trust me you dont want me as first order of business would be to open dialogue with NAMBA . We all need each other to keep this alive,we need another way to grow membership

To merge IMPBA and NAMBA would we need an entire rewrite of the rule book? Though very similar the two major differences I see are half course mill and one lap penalty vs point deduction for bouy infractions. The mill issue would not be the problem. I don't think many IMPBA members would go for lap penalties which NAMBA members just accept as past practice. ABC vs BDEF easy peasy. Archiving records not so easy.
I agree with Ron cars are easier to fun run as individuals (more roads than ponds). But for competition we face similar obstacles in securing a dedicated race course. I have seen many tracks adjacent to hobby shops but never seem a boat course owned by a retailer. My opinion is skewed here as I have been around boats and water all my life. My five horse Johnson and leaky wooden 15' boat got me to all my friend houses in the summers at our cabin.
Not sure if there is a point anywhere here as we still are only 2400 strong minus all who hold dual memberships. Were there more members in 1990, 2000, 2010, today? Anyone know the real stats. Nationally and by district would be interesting.
Mic (bored and rambling on)
The difference in rule books is JUST WORDS.
Writing of a new rule book for a combined organization will take some time BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE

Getting insurance and paying for it will eventually force the merger

The real number of boaters is less than stated due to many of us having duel memberships

I vote for Mike and start the process

Merging organizations would be a huge benefit to all. Money, time and rules. One boat is legal in IMPBA the other Illegal in NAMBA. The rules aren’t the same in some classes so there would definitely need to be some talk on that.

ROAR is not healthy and never has been.. RC cars are "because they can be" run by ANY GROUP at ANY TIME.

Cost is not the main issue with RC boating.. Accessibility to product and water IS as well as the dedication it takes to make it all work out.. "phones are easer.. MUCH easer"

Where is my phone? Answer.. NOT FAR!

Grim
Someone recently asked me why I keep my land line? To call my cell phone because I forgot where I left it.

JD

Dunny.. do we have to start putting a bell on you..... if you start calling your phone the name of your cat we are going to have to bell on ya, ya know..

Here Fido.... here Fido.. (Shhhhhh everybody.. dunny is calling his Phone that he thinks is a CAT.. A DOG NAME..)

DAM.. somebody get that BELL!

Hope you are well Dunny.. stay safe and GO PACKERS!

Grim

All very creditable points, but ask yourself these questions and answer yourself honestly. What have you done inside your club to bring new membership to your local pond? We have to grow the numbers at the local ponds first. Have you ever just called a friend you know that would possibly enjoy this hobby and took them to the pond and actually let them drive your boat? Have you worked with your radio station to get more exposure? Have you used your live button on Facebook to help promote the hobby? Have you setup in the mall and had a display of your boats for the public to come up and see them? Have you spoke with the local Big boat races that you would like to setup a tent for our RC boats to be on display? If you can answer yes to these questions dont stop there, and I cant express that enough.
When you can, as a club, start doing things as I mentioned earlier the toughest part is staying consistent year after year. Are you setting a goal with your club to challenge each member to bring someone new to a meeting? Are you truly giving the spectator the respected time to answer their questions about how fast and how much they cost? Did you ramble off the IMPBA website or did you actually write it down and give them your phone number incase they had questions? I seriously don't think that beginner classes are the answer, IMPBA still has a RTR class which is a beginner class, although the Miss Vegas Duce is not in production anymore but they are out there. Call Bruce Jacobs he has plenty of them and plenty of parts. I believe PART of the answer is getting the current members digging in deep and really looking for the next boat racer and inviting them to our local ponds. D-14 added 6 new members this year, that is a huge win for us. Now as the district director for 14 I will set a goal for us to get 8 new members in 2021.
Stay positive, don't talk about it, be about it.

Last edited:
Merging organizations would be a huge benefit to all. Money, time and rules. One boat is legal in IMPBA the other Illegal in NAMBA. The rules aren’t the same in some classes so there would definitely need to be some talk on that.
I think the easiest solution would be to "grandfather" all existing boats that don't meet the new rules as to make them illegal would chase away many present participants. Yes, it would take some recordkeeping but, all in all, it would be doable.

Most all clubs in Florida require a NAMBA card & insurance to practice on club pond. Why do the florida Dist 3 boaters need a IMPBA Card? They Pay a small fee to cross over a couple times a year to race. IMPBA lost all those boaters years ago. many people got tired of IMPBA Enforced Rules that were dreamed Up over Nite & applied to races ASAP. Without membership vote.. Our Dist 5 went for years & years without voting for their own dist director. We were appointed one after another that the Dist people would not support. TODAY WE HAVE A DIST DIRECTOR that the Members of Dist 5 voted for.... Politics, BS, Rules stuffed down clubs throats to enforce ASAP.. change a lot of things in how people react.... Not going to contuine.....If you want to convince me things are different call me.. Do not post it here.. I currently live in IMPBA country & own a NAMBA Card.... I Vote all clubs DUAL SANACTION THEIR PONDS..... Enuff Said..

I see no real benefit to merging the two. I like the fact we have two organizations that we can use. I like the fact we have competition between the two regarding membership.

If one org wants it more then harder work, better benefits and shared information will win that race. In the end it will benefit both orgs anyway!

I have been a member of both. I like them both, I like the history and what they both have built.

I would rather have them both become a SIGs of the AMA before merger..................maybe................. (never happen so.............LOL)

I would also support a REAL national championship. Lets face it a 21 boat is a 21 boat regardless of class designation the org calls it. If one class "seems on paper" to have an advantage then lets PROVE IT.. (Sport tunnel comes to mind, sport 40 or whatever).. we know neither does! The Masters race proved that!

Lets stop fooling ourselves into thinking that if we merge its going to solve our membership numbers.. IT WONT!.. we need old racers back and we need new racers coming forward.. Lets concentrate on that.

How do we 'market ourselves".. that IS the question.

Be well all!

Grim

Back