2700 IMPBA Members

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am one of the dual members. I enjoy the people and events across North America and to be a part of those activities, I have joined both IMPBA and NAMBA. The small rule differences don't make any difficulties. It is running boats with friends that makes everything good.

I do not think that combining the organizations is a good idea. It is too easy to get lazy when you are the only game available. Both organizations try to meet their membership needs. Neither is perfect, but we try to do what is best.

Membership is falling for a number of reasons. Most of the organization members are not hard core racers. Many just like to run their boats on the weekends with friends. Others are only involved in club activities. But, the organizations are headed by racers and the rules are basically directed at racing.

I believe for the memberships to grow, we have to turn our attention more to the boaters who just run for the fun of it. Those people who are having a good time are more apt to get into club races and then into travelling to other races. To attract potential members we have to make boating fun for them. Too keep them as members, we have to not run them off.

Temper tantrums, loud swearing, threats against each other have to stop. We need to treat each other decently and with respect. You may be at the local pond testing your setup for a District race and another club member is running slowly around the buoys. He/she has the same right to run around the buoys as you. Instead of telling him/her how important it is for you to test because you are a racer, make an effort to take turns on the water.

As far as the costs of model boating, we are competing with other activities to gain interest. Millions of people play golf. A new set of quality golf clubs can cost $3000 to $5000. Then there is the golf cart. Green fees are anywhere from $50 per day to $350 per day. Hundreds of thousands of people shoot trap and skeet. A high end shotgun can cost over $30,000. So, while we are upset about the price of fuel, glow plugs, engines, hulls, etc. the cost to a boater that runs for fun is comparably inexpensive.

To attract the families looking for an activity, they have to see that it is fun for everyone. And, they are watching us to see how we behave.

Finding a place to run our boats is not easy. That is why it is so important to keep the sites we have. We have to respect the owner and the owner's rules. We need to make the effort to clean up after ourselves. We need to show our appreciation to the site owner. It does no good to complain to the owner about parking, trees, or other inconveniences. Why should a city park cut down trees to make it easier to run your boats? Our ability to cooperate and be friends with the people who actually own/manage our sites is absolutely necessary to keep those sites available to us.

To grow model boating, we first need to be good citizens, respecting others. If we can do that, we will keep our sites, find new sites, attract new members and not run off the people who run model boats for fun.

I like the stock 3.5 Tunnel Class for everyone,but with a set nitro %.
Joel remember our club series we did where we allowed anything but a pipe on the K&Bout boards but you had to use the provided 15% nitro fuel. It came down to who had balls to tweek the carb needles the most and getting on the clock. That was fun racing.

Joel remember our club series we did where we allowed anything but a pipe on the K&Bout boards but you had to use the provided 15% nitro fuel. It came down to who had balls to tweek the carb needles the most and getting on the clock. That was fun racing.
Yes Bill,will never forget. Best Time I ever had in racing with you & others with the St Louis Thunder Boaters.

Wow! Been a long time since I've commented on this thing. I guess I got all I can handle on my FB page. Well anyway. Just a couple of notes. At my house with my garage open working on boats the garbage man stopped to tell me he has some boats and wants to hang. I gave him my number to stop by any time. Again while having my garage door open working on boats a neighbor stopped and started telling me about him being into RC cars and his one Traxxas Spartan boat. Haha! Start opening up your garages boys. I think that my Dad by himself kept the interest of about 6 or 7 boaters because his garage was open to all of them. He'd even let them pick through old boats for free or near to it to take home. Coming to the house was like going to the hobby shop full of ARTR boats for many guys in our district that went to my Dad's house. Alfred Lanza, and Kent Sterner just to name a couple of people that might ring a bell. At one time Alfred was the most winningest National Champion in NAMBA after only racing 10 years or so compared to people that had been racing 30. That's just one example. Also I did kind of a cursory study of hobbies with I might say similar levels in barrier to entry including cost, travel, and retail support. I thought of snowboarding, skateboarding and BMX racing. Snowboarding equipment is expensive and you have to travel during the high season to enjoy it. Skateboarding is more prevalent but boards these days can be expensive. You can do it anyway where but parks are prevalent but few and far in between. BMX Racing is not as popular but still an Olympic sport as are all the aforementioned. None even existed when RC boating started. Now they are all commercial hobbies while RC boat racing is almost the most obscure with RC Battleships being the most maybe. Even RC BattleBots got prime time TV play at one point. But get this... just me kind of using YouTube as a loose gauge of comparison in popularity. If I combined snowboarding, skateboarding, and BMX biking views and compared it with RC Car, Boat, and Planes there were more views for RC. I know that is a very loose gauge at it but It does show we still have strong public interest against other competing hobbies.

At this weakened state I am all for joining the organization. I've actually wrote a business plan to start a third that would leverage the numbers and address some of the beginner, novice and pro issues stated in this post along with bringing cost down for commonly consumed goods, gas, and lodging while also actively looking for sponsors. This would be used to actively secure dedicated race locations. I wasn't thinking of this for just boats though but for all of RC. Yah. I've been told it's a pipe dream once before. Maybe it will never happen, maybe I'll get the time to pursue it myself before I get too old or maybe one of you guys or some of you guys will see the potential in it and run with it.

There is lots more land in the east than in the west with a lot less conservationist. If I were you guys I'd look for someone with a nice size lake on their property and plenty of land, then invite some a RC Car Club and a RC Plane club to join you. I'm sure all of you together you could pay that property owner a little chunk of change to allow you to build out an entire compound dedicated to RC. Try to find a place that's not too far out of a nearby town and you might even be able to convince a hobby store owner to build a store on the property. Most of you guys might remember Sheldon's Hobbies. It got popular with it's mail order cataloges some years back. Well a local kid bought it and doing well. I offered him a similar deal to build a hobby store on a lake if I could get the city to go for it. He was all in if I could pull it off with the city. I couldn't but my point is the hobby store owner was because he saw the potential. I was planning for an RC Car Track and a park flyer field as well. I might have to revisit that.

Just some ideas. Feel free to run with whatever you might want to.

One detrimental thing I heard a member say. He said he just doesn't feel like keeping up a local pond any more. He doesn't want to go to the city and fill out the paper work. He doesn't want to go to the pond and clear out the weeds and the pond scum. He doesn't want to keep a retrieve boat at his house. He doesn't want to be stuck making buoys the night before a race. He just wants to run his boats and go home. I think that's what killing the sport. Same thing that happens to anything that you don't maintain. Eventually it wears out and falls apart.

Latest posts

Back