New Fuel Tank

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
using an iv bag inside another sealed bag or container of some sort would be ideal, imho. fuel & pick up line in the bag, pressure on the outside from the pipe. that way, no air would be in the bag, allowing a much more consistent fuel feed throughout to entire run.

Thats a good idea, this would remove the need for any internal or external hopper tank system. It would also be a pretty seamless install in other applications where you use a normal sullivan style fuel tank. You could put the IV bag inside the tank, plum your fuel line to the IV bag through the stopper, then plum your pressure line to the inside of the sullivan tank.

If the IV bag holds up, I just may try this on my mono. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK lets redo the test. 60% J-Cuz swamp water, 500 ML Baxter Bag, Jan15, 2011. Will do regular updates

Tony i would fill the bag all the way up just to make sure that the tubes going into the bag will hold up , iwould fill it and plug the tube and then let it sit flat like it would sit in the boat .

Just my thoghts

OK lets redo the test. 60% J-Cuz swamp water, 500 ML Baxter Bag, Jan15, 2011. Will do regular updates

Tony i would fill the bag all the way up just to make sure that the tubes going into the bag will hold up , iwould fill it and plug the tube and then let it sit flat like it would sit in the boat .

Just my thoghts

Sure I will let it sit this way for a week, then fill it up and lay it on its side, but I dont think it will make any difference. The tubes are the same material the only different material is the white colored stopper that gets cut off on the input, I think that white material is just a port so the nurses can inject into the drips etc. Additionally when you run the bags the fuel fitting is such a tight fit and extends through the tube and into the bag, no fuel would get by. I will try it though.. Tony J

ps no change this morning

If this works the tank builders will feel it 2.00-5.00 a bag and 60.00-100.00 for a tank which on do you think people will go for .

The only other problem would be the size of the iv bag

250ml = what in oz

500ml = what in oz

1000ml = what in oz

Anyone have the answer

If this works the tank builders will feel it 2.00-5.00 a bag and 60.00-100.00 for a tank which on do you think people will go for .

The only other problem would be the size of the iv bag

250ml = what in oz

500ml = what in oz

1000ml = what in oz

Anyone have the answer
no, but i bet google does :rolleyes: that's where i go when i need info like this.

250 millileter is 8.45350 fl oz(US)

Thats a good size for a 21 and liter than a metal tank , and the 500ml bag will work good with a 67 motor .

Another thought , you won't need a pressure tape from the pipe just put elastic bands over the bag to create pressure to get the fuel to the carb.

Tony

One thing that I would do is after your test is to cut the bag in half and take you finger nail and scrap the inside of the bag to see if the plastic is soft or flaking away.

I mix fuel in a plastic jug one time and after it sat for a day or two I seen plastic floating on top of the fuel and the hole gallon was junk.

Dave Roach

250 millileter is 8.45350 fl oz(US)

Thats a good size for a 21 and liter than a metal tank , and the 500ml bag will work good with a 67 motor .

Another thought , you won't need a pressure tape from the pipe just put elastic bands over the bag to create pressure to get the fuel to the carb.
i'm not so sure rubber bands would work well. when the bag got low & shrunk in size you may not get enough pressure to feed the engine. if you applied enough pressure to overcome that, i think you might be rich at the start of the run. no way of knowing, just my thoughts. the whole idea is to get a consistent mixture throughout the run. a pressure tap off the pipe, applied to the outside of the bag would be the simplest & most consistent, imho. but, since nobody's tried this yet, only one way to find out, test, test, & then test some more. 1 more good excuse to spend a day at the pond :D !!

Gas motors use a pump on their carbs don't they? Some years ago(when I crashed pylon racers) one of the fuel tank manufacturers sold a polyethene tank with a bladder tank inside. You Hooked the fuel line to the Bladder and hooked the pressure line to the poly tank. On filling you had an air free bladder full of fuel, so if the IV bags are nitro proof why not put it in a plastic (or wood) box (thats air tight) and pressurise the space in the surrounding box? This will still give a pressured fuel system with the advantages of an IV Bag.

Phil

Update - after 1 week no change to the bag, no leak, no stains on the plywood fuel inside is clear, bag is pliable. I have now filled the bag, laid it on its side, and blocked the inlets, I will update next week

bag22.1.jpg

Bag22.3.jpg

bag22.4.jpg

Great test so far! Hey Tony why are the inlets folded over with the bag? I'm still wondering about the inlets and if they can handle the nitro or not. It looks like the inlets are not in contact with the nitro. Thanks for doing this test!

Paul

Update - after 1 week no change to the bag, no leak, no stains on the plywood fuel inside is clear, bag is pliable. I have now filled the bag, laid it on its side, and blocked the inlets, I will update next week

Paul :

Glad to do the test I am curious too. The fuel is in the inlets here is a close up ,I think that you can see the fuel. I am using hemostats and have not cut off the white port on the secondary inlet. I dont think the material will degrade as its the same as the rest of the bag, however my sealing mechanism may leak, as the air pressure and the collapsing bag may push it through the hemos. I should probably set it up with a proper brass fitting as if we were tring to deliver fuel to the carb. I intend to re-use this bag on one of my gas boats if it holds up.

Great test so far! Hey Tony why are the inlets folded over with the bag? I'm still wondering about the inlets and if they can handle the nitro or not. It looks like the inlets are not in contact with the nitro. Thanks for doing this test!

Paul

bag1.22.5.jpg

This is great! I too wonder about this bag method. What if you took the two inlets and looped some tubing to connect them together? The bag would be sealed and the inlets would get some contact with the nitro. When I say inlets I am talking about the white part of the seal on the inlet. (Or in a "real" tank setup is this part removed?) Thanks again for doing this. Paul

Paul :

Glad to do the test I am curious too. The fuel is in the inlets here is a close up ,I think that you can see the fuel. I am using hemostats and have not cut off the white port on the secondary inlet. I dont think the material will degrade as its the same as the rest of the bag, however my sealing mechanism may leak, as the air pressure and the collapsing bag may push it through the hemos. I should probably set it up with a proper brass fitting as if we were tring to deliver fuel to the carb. I intend to re-use this bag on one of my gas boats if it holds up.

Paul

On my gas setups you cut that white port off on the fuel delivery side, then insert a very tight fitting aluminum or brass sleeve held in place with either ca or a cable tie. I use coleman fuel in my boats and it does not attack the white port. I will let this sit like this for a week then remove the hemo on the white port side and see what happens.. Tony J

I see what Tony is doing by putting nitro fuel in the bag.Tony is going to run nitro fuel in his gas boats.LOL

Tony don't forget to try the inside the bag as posted #31 post.

Dave Roach

Latest posts

Back