JAE boat news,a bit of history & name change

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geraghty

Some history.........

Nine years ago David Hall and myself started talking about building a dirt simple competitive outrigger hydro.We had moderate success but that effort kind of fell off our "hot" priorities list.

About 3 years ago our interest in the boat design once again re-surfaced.

Over a year ago now a totally accidental joint venture was formed with David Hall, Ron Zaker Jr.,Martin Truex Jr, and myself.The common thread we all had was to go fast in all kinds of water with a stable simple outrigger hydro.We have learned a lot and the performance of the boat has been nothing short of amazing.

The result of this joint venture was the release of the JAP.12 plans.The interest in those plans has been phenomenal.I am guessing that somewhere between 500 & 600 sets of these plans have been downloaded all over the world.

Now for the last 3 weeks..............

J.A.P. [Jack Ass Performance] has officially changed our name to JAE , AKA "J" boats.The JAP.12G is now the JAE.12G.

What does JAE mean? We will never tell :D ....It means whatever you think it means... ;)

Here is the news................. B)

The JAE.12G will be offered as a CNC precut plywood and foam kit from Zippkits for $39.00 + shipping.

Included will be solid fiberglass boom tubes with an illustrated instruction manual.

Zippkits sells boat kits all over the world and we did not want the name JackAss Performance to get in the way of the offering of these kits to the RC boater.

I am presently building the first kit from Zippkits and I will tell you this is a quality kit.

Presently there are prototype .21H[Hall],.21G[Geraghty],.21T[Truex] & .45H[Hall] JAE boats on the water being tortured.Also as we speak there is also a "gas" JAE boat on the building jig.

We cannot speak for Zippkits but it is JAE's eventual hope to have a line of competitive inexpensive wood/foam rigger kits and or plans available for the RC model boater to experience the fun of building and running RC raceboats.

For those of you who are not comfortable with your building skills,Mike Crawford of Woodstuff tunnels [1-262-210-9403] will be offering a building service for the line of JAE racing hulls.

We don't have an exact release date for the JAE.12G from Zippkits but I do know it will be very soon.. ;)

JAE is a "very non-profit" [not one red cent] joint venture,hence this posting in the outrigger hydro forum. :)

Rod Geraghty

P.S. There ain't nobody that can burn fuel like Truex.. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys keep making the sport better and better all the time, Thanks for the hard work guys, I'm looking forward to the 45 and gas version of this great hull!

Our 26cc CMB will be back in action soon, would love to test that gas hull for ya ;)

Boaters,

I can tell you that Martin, Ron, and David are testing a lot propellers

on these boats, to find the best possible combinations for almost all racing

conditions. I doubt you will find a better heat racing boat anywhere,

it will turn faster and tighter than anything that has been developed

currently. It is fun testing with this project, and we are all still

learning a lot about the boats and set ups. We are currently testing some

new prototype propellers that are starting to perform like they were designed

to.

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

This is the kind of action that will again make Nitro Outriggers a player in the RC Boating World. Now if you can find some low cost engines, we can compete with the gas boaters. The gas segment has taken over the lead in RC Boating because of the cost. Maybe this will be to thing that will make our segment of the hobby grow.

My congratulations to this team. What a great contribution to our hobby !!!! With Rod G the thinker involved, I am not at all surprised.

Congradulations to Rod, David, Ron and Martin. With you guys sharing your knowledge and expertise, Glens lower prices on the Nova Rossi engines, and the lines of dependable and less expensive radios, like Marty said, just maybe the rigger classes can be jump started to be as popular as they once were. I sure hope so.

Thanks Guys,

Charles

Rod, That is too cool. I am looking forward to the 21 to come out. Props to Mike for helping out those of us that keep gluing our fingers together. ALL HAIL THE JAE!!!ALL HAIL THE JAE!!!

I must say that we are honored that we were chosen to kit these boats.

We are working on the instruction manual now.

One of the reasons that we like this JAE 12G so much is that it makes it so easy to recruit boaters from the largest segment of R/C... The car/truck/buggy/truggy crowd!

Just think of all the TRX 2.5 engines, pipes, radios and parts out there in pit boxes, sitting idle.

There are hundreds of thousands of nitro cars sold every year in the US.

We truly believe that this will be a shot in the arm for nitro. Everything is already there, it just took some smart people to see it...

We will announce the release here on IW.

Joe

Boaters,

The name change must stand for: JAMMING,AWESOME,EXCITING (JAE) :D

JAMMING = FAST

AWESOME = SPEED

EXCITING = PERFORMANCE

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

One of the reasons that we like this JAE 12G so much is that it makes it so easy to recruit boaters from the largest segment of R/C... The car/truck/buggy/truggy crowd!

Just think of all the TRX 2.5 engines, pipes, radios and parts out there in pit boxes, sitting idle.

We truly believe that this will be a shot in the arm for nitro. Everything is already there, it just took some smart people to see it...

Joe

Is there any plans on kitting the 21 boat? I would think that there would be more purchases available for the 21's than the smaller ones, just from the standpoint that the smaller sizes (A) are run in few races. That will change over time.

I would get two 21's in kit form right now if it was available.

Joe

Is there any plans on kitting the 21 boat? I would think that there would be more purchases available for the 21's than the smaller ones, just from the standpoint that the smaller sizes (A) are run in few races. That will change over time.

I would get a 21 in kit form right now if it was available.
I 2nd the interest in a .21 size JAE rigger. Not sure I want a boat any smaller.

Rod, do the kits come with a cowl (I had to adapt one from a different boat) and hardware for attaching?

Some history.........

Nine years ago David Hall and myself started talking about building a dirt simple competitive outrigger hydro.We had moderate success but that effort kind of fell off our "hot" priorities list.

About 3 years ago our interest in the boat design once again re-surfaced.

Over a year ago now a totally accidental joint venture was formed with David Hall, Ron Zaker Jr.,Martin Truex Jr, and myself.The common thread we all had was to go fast in all kinds of water with a stable simple outrigger hydro.We have learned a lot and the performance of the boat has been nothing short of amazing.

The result of this joint venture was the release of the JAP.12 plans.The interest in those plans has been phenomenal.I am guessing that somewhere between 500 & 600 sets of these plans have been downloaded all over the world.

Now for the last 3 weeks..............

J.A.P. [Jack Ass Performance] has officially changed our name to JAE , AKA "J" boats.The JAP.12G is now the JAE.12G.

What does JAE mean? We will never tell :D ....It means whatever you think it means... ;)

Here is the news................. B)

The JAE.12G will be offered as a CNC precut plywood and foam kit from Zippkits for $39.00 + shipping.

Included will be solid fiberglass boom tubes with an illustrated instruction manual.

Zippkits sells boat kits all over the world and we did not want the name JackAss Performance to get in the way of the offering of these kits to the RC boater.

I am presently building the first kit from Zippkits and I will tell you this is a quality kit.

Presently there are prototype .21H[Hall],.21G[Geraghty],.21T[Truex] & .45H[Hall] JAE boats on the water being tortured.Also as we speak there is also a "gas" JAE boat on the building jig.

We cannot speak for Zippkits but it is JAE's eventual hope to have a line of competitive inexpensive wood/foam rigger kits and or plans available for the RC model boater to experience the fun of building and running RC raceboats.

For those of you who are not comfortable with your building skills,Mike Crawford of Woodstuff tunnels [1-262-210-9403] will be offering a building service for the line of JAE racing hulls.

We don't have an exact release date for the JAE.12G from Zippkits but I do know it will be very soon.. ;)

JAE is a "very non-profit" [not one red cent] joint venture,hence this posting in the outrigger hydro forum. :)

Rod Geraghty

P.S. There ain't nobody that can burn fuel like Truex.. :lol:
39.00+shipping?...YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME! Zippkits is gonna sell a million of these things!! I WANT ONE....and i dont even know why!!! :lol: What kinda speeds can you get outta one of these things? I LOVE anything that goes fast..CHEAP! Im for anything that will get outriggers back into the game...im not runnin a rigger presently but still feel that they are the thorobreds of model boat racing! Great job Rod, Zippkits, and anyone else directly involved in this evil little venture!!

[quote name='Bill Gibson' date='18 August 2009 - 04:10 PM'

39.00+shipping?...YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME! Zippkits is gonna sell a million of these things!! I WANT ONE....and i dont even know why!!! :lol: What kinda speeds can you get outta one of these things? I LOVE anything that goes fast..CHEAP! Im for anything that will get outriggers back into the game...im not runnin a rigger presently but still feel that they are the thorobreds of model boat racing! Great job Rod, Zippkits, and anyone else directly involved in this evil little venture!!

Truex has his .12 boat running in the mid 60's........go to you tube and punch in "JAP12 outrigger hydroplane" in the search function.

That is Martins .12 boat on Lake Norman.. ;) ...I believe the same boat ran 73 with a warmed up O.S.18TZ in the boat.

Martin,correct me if I am wrong but I think that is what I remember you saying......

Bill Gibson said:

Truex has his .12 boat running in the mid 60's........go to you tube and punch in "JAP12 outrigger hydroplane" in the search function.

That is Martins .12 boat on Lake Norman.. ;) ...I believe the same boat ran 73 with a warmed up O.S.18TZ in the boat.

Martin,correct me if I am wrong but I think that is what I remember you saying......

i have had my 12 running in the mid 60s with a heat racing setup, and 74mph with a v937 doing some saw passes with no other changes..my 21 boat has run 75 with a heat racing setup but normally around 70, cant wait for some good weather..i dont think these boats are any faster than other boats but the ease of setup and the handling of the boat is much better in my opinion..they are not picky at all and they run great in rough water, and the best part is they launch all day long unless something is really wrong..all i can say is this has been really fun for me, working along with these great boaters and new friends, and trying to help others enjoy these boats as much as i have..enjoy!

Back