Here we go again.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you explain that all my five Mac's(2 67 and 3 84) are still running hard with no issues at all....lot of galloons and just replaced parts to get engines working strong.....can't say the same about the new Picco's....if someone could make a bullet proof engine I surely would be in the list to save the boring time. :angry:

Gill

If it was bullet proof thy would never sell a new one again.

Not every one pushes a eng to the breaking point. most just want a reliable eng to play with on the weekend.

That is where the majority of the eng are sold.

Then there is my self pushing the boundary's to see how far I can take it.

Beat it till it brakes then you know what you got.

There dose come a point that it is to much trouble or coast to go any further. then you back up one step and you will have a winer.

I never was a poster boy for mediocrity.

David

How do you explain that all my five Mac's(2 67 and 3 84) are still running hard with no issues at all....lot of galloons and just replaced parts to get engines working strong.....can't say the same about the new Picco's....if someone could make a bullet proof engine I surely would be in the list to save the boring time. :angry:

Gill
I've seen a few broken Mac 45 crankshafts. Seen broken CMB cranks too, and rods, and pistons. Modern 45 marine engines and pipes are pulling impressive rpms out of the box, and maybe what was good enough previously is not strong enough now. Hopefully the manufacturers take these failuress on board. For the mean time, I'm resorting to a longer pipe and 62mm prop on my 2010 Picco 45. The motor wants to make more rpm (and therefore speed) but I'm resisting the urge for now. If someone can make a batch of bulletproof crankshafts for the Picco, I'd buy one! The engine itself has great potential.

I loved those Kalistratov K67 / K82 / K90 engines except for the roller cage and wrist pins. They sucked.

just went thru a kalistratov motor for the first time a few weeks back...

i was floored by the tight tolerances, overall machining/quality of build (i replaced wristpin/needle bearings)

amazing motor

"I loved those Kalistratov K67 / K82 / K90 engines except for the roller cage and wrist pins. They sucked"

It is interesting that this "great engine builder" would consider a plastic cage for a bottom end roller assembly?????

"I loved those Kalistratov K67 / K82 / K90 engines except for the roller cage and wrist pins. They sucked"

It is interesting that this "great engine builder" would consider a plastic cage for a bottom end roller assembly?????
compared to the alternatives..i appreciate being able to replace the needle bearings on this motor...

tho i would prefer other types of induction to the k's setup

Last edited by a moderator:
In the 67 EXR squarecase motors we always put extra front case gaskets in to provide clearance. When they got hot the drum would bind against the front case and either the rod or the crank pin would break. Gary Jensen actually started making thicker gaskets (and selling them on the RCU website) to stop that problem.

One of the .45 Jae's I built is equipped with a square shaft/ferrule and after an internal inspection of this motor it looks like NIB compared to the others equipped with a conventional flexshaft.....I'm seriously considering adopt this set up to my boats as I suppose there's much less front pressure against components like crankshaft,low end conrod and drum in cases the tolerance between parts is a problem..

Gill

Yes Jim, I found that perplexing also. It almost seemed like it was an after thought or a supply issue. I had to resort to just replacing them with full compliment needles. Not ideal but within my ability as my machining skills are amatuer. The next problem was the brittle wrist pins. In some cases other brand wristpins would fit without modification. K90 had a lot of R90 Rossi interchangeability and in some instances that was very useful for me.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion of the rest of the Kalistratov engine in terms of metalurgy and machining. To my untrained eye, they were beautifully made for a commercial engine. particularly the crank case and drum assembly.

You have to consider the conditions in Russia at the time Kalistratov was making his engines. We are used to flipping a switch and the lights go on. We are used to ordering items and they are delivered in the mail or by UPS. We are used to the local bank putting our money in our account and the money will be there when we want it.

That was not the situation in Russia just a few years ago. Electricity could be spotty. Mailmen were known to steal. If you wanted a bank that you could trust to not report you to the mafia, you handled your money in another country.

I agree that the plastic caged bearings were not a great idea, but that is what was available in Russia. I swapped them out for loose needles, just like the ones in the MAC and CMB engines.

"I'd be interested to hear your opinion of the rest of the Kalistratov engine in terms of metalurgy and machining. To my untrained eye, they were beautifully made for a commercial engine. particularly the crank case and drum assembly."

It is impossible to make any assessment about metalurgy, aging processes, heat treating & machining processes, in an engine with a very close visual inspection. Very few, if any, engine manufacturers would disclose this type of information. Carefull inspection of squareness & measured tolerances told me the K engines were not any better or worse than other manufactured engine of the same size.

I worked only with K67 engines, making piston from RSA-444 T6 & machining a double intake inverted drum valve. Even though the valve had double opening intakes, it did not produce more HP than the bell valve.

Jim Allen

Latest posts

Back