Help/advice needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol: :lol: Very true Jerry, i suspect along with the "steer and throttle" I will probably also learn "teeth gritting and knocking knees" once I get the Wyss special :blink:

A friend was trying to convince me to go for a prather lapcat hull, while another just kept chanting "lynx" at me. Obviously I will not be sleeping well tonight!!!! :eek:

Hi Tony, I was looking at your gallery, and wanted to ask, is your lower unit sealed with silicone gasket maker between the halves, or is that red residue something else?

Also, the pipe supports look like the bolt is going all the way through the lower unit, is that using the original bolt locations or something new you added in?

And is that a pressure nipple for lubing the flex shaft that you have added there? And how did you determine the depth/height to cut out below the boost port?

Sorry for so many questions, after "killing" one engine, I think I had better be prepared before i touch the next one

Thanks
Jerry,

1. the lower unit is sealed with silicon. Both half of the leg got the same treatment so i can grease the gears and the flex and the residue goes out by the prop shaft. In fact there is always a constant level of oil in the case . I broke one flexshaft since 2002. Yes what you see is a nipple to feed with oil gears and flex

2. the pipe supports are in fact "screwed and stuck" in the case. I put some special really strong locktite ( used to stick the flexshaft to the propshaft) on the screws so it is now stuck to one the half. The long screw you can see into the leg is the original one to assemble both halves. Normally you cannot see it but I have removed a lot of aluminum into this hole. I also drilled an extra hole to lube the flex right under the gears.

3. The cuts under the boost ports are more or less done by trial and error. What I noticed is that an engine such as mac or CMB does not need a so long cut. In fact if the engine is starving a long cut will allow more fuel/air to enter. It creats a bigger and wider "road " for the fuel. On my CMB I started with a boost cut of 2 mm long. I got more power. Then I did a 3mm long. That did not make more power but I burnt more fuel.

The part removed on the sleeve under the transfer port helps the flow to come up . On the stock engine there is not a lot of space between piston, crankshaft and the sleeve to feed the front port. 2 to 3mm height is ok.

Looks great Tony! You certainly didn't hold back when lightening parts! I especially liked where you opened up the area in the leg around the PTO gear - looks totally different!

Tim.

Back