Novice in need of Thunder Tiger advice

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Parker

Hi guys - I am new to this forum and very new to rc outboards.
I have been messing around with a couple of large rc boats with 26cc petrol inboard engines for the past 18 months but Icould not resist buying an aquacraft vs1 tunnel hull fitted with what I thought (from the photos) was an os .21 outboard when I saw an online ad a couple of weeks ago. Turns out the boat, which has been part of a static collection for most of it's life, is fitted with a Thunder Tiger Pro 21R outboard. Nice looking motor in great condition but trying to find an engine manual is like looking for unicorn poo.
I have squared away the radio controls and other functions on the boat and I also have access to a group of guys at our local rc model flying club who can take me "hands on" through the nitro engine starting and tuning process. However I need a couple of basics before I am willing to let them loose.
When I manually rotate the engine cone clockwise the prop also turns clockwise (which seems to be correct for propulsion)- so I guess I must use a clockwise engine starter ?
What lubrication should I do before attempting to start the engine ?
Apologies if these questions are too basic.
Thanks
Gary

Hi Gary,,and welcome to this site,,Yes,,outboards usually rotate in the opposite direction to most inboard/standard engines due to the drive from the back of the engine,,and yes,,clockwise on the starter cone looking from above,,but anticlockwise looking at the prop from back of boat as left hand props are more common or the standard direction,,you can swap battery terminals to get the elec starter turning in the right direction,,Sounds like the engine has been laying around for some time and could have bearing corrosion, if it was run before and not flushed with an after run oil,,you could drown it in some auto trans fluid and drain well afterwards,,but feel for any bearing roughness while rotating the engine by hand,,especially after you get it running,,most experienced guys change bearings if they're unsure,,I;m sure others with more experience/opinions will chime in,,cheers

Thanks Rod - I am still a little confused because when I rotate the cone clockwise and stand at the back of the boat looking forward my prop is definitely rotating clockwise.

Unless it has a gear drive unit,yes the prop would turn clockwise,,but I'm not sure if they run those on outboards,,maybe post a pic of engine and prop

From the images I have seen online I understand it does have a helical gear drive between the engine and the flex shaft.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 68
Well,that explains it lol..probably be anticlockwise on the starter cone,and prop should be left hand/anticlockw,,hard to tell on the image,,makes it easier for manufacturers to use standard direction engines,without making different crankshafts with reverse timing like other outboards that are direct drive

Gary....be sure to fill the gear case with oil...plug is on the right side of the outboard lower....its a teadious task....i use a small spray hose from an aerosol spray can and a hand held oil can type of pump to very slowly fill the oil reservoir..a 30wt oil is good....parts will be the major issue with a T.T. particularly the prop hub.....shafts are not a problem to get...hyperformance has those...i also have a lower modified to accommodate the T.T. .30 race buggy engine if your interested.

Thanks Robert - I read in a post somewhere that the hole up and forward of the fitting the fuel tank pressure line is connected to is the one to use to oil/grease the gears. Is this the plug you are referring to ?
Cheers mate

Last edited:
Gary....be sure to fill the gear case with oil...plug is on the right side of the outboard lower....its a teadious task....i use a small spray hose from an aerosol spray can and a hand held oil can type of pump to very slowly fill the oil reservoir..a 30wt oil is good....parts will be the major issue with a T.T. particularly the prop hub.....shafts are not a problem to get...hyperformance has those...i also have a lower modified to accommodate the T.T. .30 race buggy engine if your interested.
Good advice Robert.as I don't know about these TTs.,,I'm assuming it's a normal direction running engine.so anticlockwise on the starter cone ?,,as Gary wasn't sure,,hopefully it has a left hand prop lol

I believe the engine turns clockwise.....the T.T. engine turns like any normal airplane/buggy engine...the gear makes the propeller turn counter clockwise...they are strong running outboards....again...its the parts that are the kicker....i watch ebay for stuff like piston/sleeve....prop hub...those are the hardest to get parts

I believe the engine turns clockwise.....the T.T. engine turns like any normal airplane/buggy engine...the gear makes the propeller turn counter clockwise...they are strong running outboards....again...its the parts that are the kicker....i watch ebay for stuff like piston/sleeve....prop hub...those are the hardest to get parts
We'l confuse Gary even more lol,,if it rotates like a normal buggy engine,,it would be anticlockwise when viewed from above the starter cone/flywheel,and anticlockwise on the prop looking from behind the boat,,Its always a shame when parts are hard to get with these things,,cheers

To anybody that is interested I have [2] new Thunder tiger outboards in boxes that I would consider selling......

I try to keep it a simple as possible...a little wiggle wiggle on the starter cone...and watch the prop turn....i dont give it any real thought on the actual direction....as long as the prop turns lefty loosie....

To anybody that is interested I have [2] new Thunder tiger outboards in boxes that I would consider selling......
Rod, did you modify yours? I've seen a few run and they were duds out of the box as they got badly embarrassed by K&B's.

Rod, did you modify yours? I've seen a few run and they were duds out of the box as they got badly embarrassed by K&B's.
The secret to the TT outboards is the gears and their lash.....when you clean off the rough edges of the gears and get them smooth the motors run very well....also you have to pay attention to the gear set in them......they offer a under drive set of gears which allows you to really step up with props.....

If Geraghty has a engine manual with his two new Thunder Tigers it is probably worth more than both the engines because the manual is so rare !!
On my original question of the need for a clockwise starter - I figure that the engine, like most brands of rc outboards, runs clockwise - the gear set does not alter the rotational direction (see photo in post #5)- so the flex shaft rotates clockwise - ergo the propeller rotates clockwise.
Thanks to everybody for the info on lubrication.

Latest posts

Back