Novice in need of Thunder Tiger advice

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless the laws of physics cease to exist in that gear case the two gears turn in opposite directions. Period.
Two gears meshed together turn opposite to each other.

Without grinding anyone's gears - when I look at the cutaway photo it appears to me that if the lower gear rotates clockwise then the gear next to it driving the flex shaft must rotate clockwise. If we say the the gears meet at 12 on their respective clock faces and you turn the cone to 3 doesn't the other gear move from 12 to 3 also ? or am I full of it.

Thanks John - now when I break a part I'll know the number of the part I probably can't get ! lol

Without grinding anyone's gears - when I look at the cutaway photo it appears to me that if the lower gear rotates clockwise then the gear next to it driving the flex shaft must rotate clockwise. If we say the the gears meet at 12 on their respective clock faces and you turn the cone to 3 doesn't the other gear move from 12 to 3 also ? or am I full of it.
Gary,,If you want to be sure on any engine direction,,take the glowplug out,,insert a small screwdriver or thin enough rod,,turn engine till piston is at the bottom of stroke or bottom dead centre,,now look through the carby hole and watch for the intake window in the crankshaft as you slowly rotate,,the window should begin to open as the piston rises,,about 2 mm,,and stay open till it has gone way past the top of stroke,,a bit before it goes half way down ,,if you go the wrong way,the window won't open until the piston has travelled upwards around 8-9 mm,,,,As Robert and I mentioned,the prop should turn left hand or counterclockwise viewed from rear of boat and the same for starter cone viewed from above,,with direct drive outboards,they run clockwise when viewed from above cone and countercw at propeller,,with a gear,engine runs CCW to keep prop turning CCW,,PLEASE TAKE A PIC OF YOUR PROPELLER so we can see if it;s a left hand or right,,maybe someone replaced the prop with a right hand,,throwing even more confusion into the mix lol

Hi Rod - a couple of videos of me turning the cone clockwise and the propeller turning clockwise are attached. You might notice my other boats in the background which I am thinking I should stick with !

Attachments

• WIN_20210918_154934.MP4
    30 MB
  • WIN_20210918_155131.MP4
    17.8 MB
Hi Rod - a couple of videos of me turning the cone clockwise and the propeller turning clockwise are attached. You might notice my other boats in the background which I am thinking I should stick with !
Thanks Gary,,It;s a left hand prop,,clockwise is turning the prop in reverse..it would go backwards if it ran,,the sharper leading edge leads,,and the blunt, bigger trailing edge trails,so its anticlockw,,cheers

You are right Rod - I looked at my own video and realised that the prop must go ccw to go forward. Still leaves me with the question that if the cone is turned one way, and there are gears involved, why does the prop turn the same way as the cone ?
I shot an 83 on the golf course this morning with a double and a triple and it did not require anywhere near the mental gymnastics that this exercise does ! I will proceed with the test you outlined when I get a chance.
Thanks to you and WW for your help and your patience.
Cheers from down under

I think looking at it from top to bottom and the curve of the driveline is what is throwing you off.... you have to look at the same side of the gears...and then it will become apparent..

IE: looking down on the top of the motor with the cone turning CW... then look at the prop from the FRONT of the prop hub it's turning CCW.

You are right Rod - I looked at my own video and realised that the prop must go ccw to go forward. Still leaves me with the question that if the cone is turned one way, and there are gears involved, why does the prop turn the same way as the cone ?
I shot an 83 on the golf course this morning with a double and a triple and it did not require anywhere near the mental gymnastics that this exercise does ! I will proceed with the test you outlined when I get a chance.
Thanks to you and WW for your help and your patience.
Cheers from down under
Glad you see it now Gary,,CCW and CW usually depends on which end and how you are viewing it,,if you turned the engine upside down and put the starfer cone on the other end,it would be the opposite,,as I mentioned before,,if it was a direct drive outboard like most are.without a gear,the engine would have to rotate CW to keep the prop turning CCW as CCW is the standard for prop rotation,and the engine manufacturers have to make a different crankshaft with reverse timing in the intake window,,So in your case,,with a gear drive,,manufacturers can use standard direction engines,,I've dealt with gear rotation most of my life,so it comes easy to me :D
Glad to help mate,,and cheers from Sydney lol

I have [2] new Thunder tiger outboards in box with "INSTRUCTIONS"....I also have [1] extra prop bearing assembly and 17 or 18 spare flex shafts......

I did a TT outboard years ago for a person who club raced here in Wisconsin......Mike Z [Grim Racer]would probably remember his name....It ran like a
scolded dog.....It was very fast and very quiet....
The story.....
This is what I remember when I was playing with the TT outboards before they were discontinued by TT.....inside they basically carry the same numbers as a Nova Rossi 2000 SS and a 1.2 length rod....I don't recall ever checking this but I would not be surprised if a Nova Rossi SS or O.S. piston and sleeve and conn rod wouldn't drop right in .......
As I said earlier the care and feeding of the gear set really lets that motor run...... I also have a third motor with stock exhaust at David Halls that I totally blue printed and the gear set was a smooth as glass.......We just never got around to running it yet.......probably never will....😅
I took a Dremel cut-off wheel , put on my magnifiers and cleaned off all the flashing on the gears ......The gears are harder than hell and will never break....As I recall they were about a Rockwell 65....that is why I had to "grind" off the flashing....a file wouldn't touch it....
TT offered [3] gear ratios P/N 0105 was a 1:27 ratio , P/N 0112 was a 1:19 ratio and P/N PN0013 was a ratio of 1:04......These ratios really intrigued me.....
It also was a mystery which ratio they shipped in the motor...😂
David Hall built an "under drive" gearbox for a Nova Rossi .12 and on the first pass he crushed the IMPBA .12 tunnel record in 2006 which still stands today.....
When we under drove a buried larger prop ,the prop efficiency obviously increased.....that is why we were playing with the TT outboards....
A Thunder Tiger outboard properly set up will run with any K&B in the country.....Run some decent fuel/oil mix that makes sense , a decent head clearance , clean out the bearings [which are readily available] good after you run it and the motor will run forever....The quality of the motor inside and out is AAAA++++....

Last edited:
Sorry Rod and Frank - I am not usually a glutton for punishment but I want to test my understanding of what the two of you have been trying to teach me.
In my own words if I was to stand above my boat looking down and rotate the TT engine cone CCW a person under the boat looking from front to back would see the prop shaft rotating CW whilst a person behind the boat would see the prop rotating CCW. The same exercise for a direct drive outboard would see the cone rotate CW and the prop shaft also rotate CW and the prop (from behind) CCW.
Cheers Gary

Sorry Rod and Frank - I am not usually a glutton for punishment but I want to test my understanding of what the two of you have been trying to teach me.
In my own words if I was to stand above my boat looking down and rotate the TT engine cone CCW a person under the boat looking from front to back would see the prop shaft rotating CW whilst a person behind the boat would see the prop rotating CCW. The same exercise for a direct drive outboard would see the cone rotate CW and the prop shaft also rotate CW and the prop (from behind) CCW.
Cheers Gary
No probs Gary,,yes,,you're spot on with what you just described,,It's all in which side of things you view it,,Hey I noticed your other boats,,so 1 inboard deep V mono,,and a tri hull inboard mono/ hydro,,both with twin rudders ?,,interesting,,,,,,Here are a cpl of my cats,back in the day,,a .21 and .45,, ,,,,

I have [2] new Thunder tiger outboards in box with "INSTRUCTIONS"....I also have [1] extra prop bearing asse
I think the shipping to Australia might kill a deal but how much would you want for 1 new Thunder Tiger outboard with Instructions ?

I think the shipping to Australia might kill a deal but how much would you want for 1 new Thunder Tiger outboard with Instructions ?
$200.00 for one and $350 for both + shipping
If you buy both I will include the 12 extra shafts and the prop bearing....
Photos if you want them.....

Last edited:
Almost makes you wonder why TT discontinued making them....

Maybe too ahead of it's time??
It obviously the outboard didn't sell very well or it would still be available......By putting in a gear set they only had to make one crank for both car and outboard use , and it was a marketing idea that just didn't catch a foothold....
They are nice little motor and are very quiet without losing performance....

Back