B Sport rule change

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha u did get me grim, I'll admit it!

let's see Ur big trophy in stock class, hers mine.

Seriously, I think the only way a real stock class would work was if there were tunnel boats available as rtr. Like they used to do with the super-v

IMG_117412468953989.jpeg

I will say this and shut up. B Sport Tunnel is defined first and foremost by displacement. Displacement is a measurement of the bore and stroke. A go no-go gauge stuck in the carb and the exhaust WILL NOT measure this. So how do you police this without measuring it? I am done and out now.

IF.. somebody is adding displacement now its not showing up in performance gains... bottom line.. you can only shove so much air though the air pump.

lets race! Going to be a fun 15!

Grim

Michael.. I dont know what I did,, But I somehow deleted that PM.. Please re-send me your addy.

Sorry about that.. first time I did that and I don’t know what I did! lol

Grim

Mike

For a guy who "doesn't care" you have more posts than anyone. Your open honesty is a refreshing distraction from all the bitchin' and moaning about changes that are meant to improve the quality and quantity of competitors at the races. I welcome all comments, positive and negative. All I ask is that everyone thinks before they type. Who knows, one of you may come up with the next great idea that could become a rule! I have some ideas myself.
Amen > The vote was taken = the people chose the new rule > & I do not like Obumer

Guys I personally do not like the change. My personal vote was NO as Past President I had to vote with the membership that was YES. I did not want to do that but it was the right thing to do.

The problem here is not with the proposal it is with the people running the class. It is your as members responsibility it make sure the rules are enforced. If the rules had been enforced do you think that this proposal would even been sent in (maybe/maybe not). I just hope this does not hurt one of the larger classes at major events.

In closing If you didn't vote stop bitching There are a few on this thread that did not vote.

Guys it is your Organization and it is what you make of it. PLEASE ENFORCE THE RULES.

Sorry for my rant. It isn't good for the class or the IMPBA.

Kevin Sheren

Last edited by a moderator:
So what happens when you try to enforce the rules as a participant, in the form of a protest, like the rulebook says. Then get asked repeatedly over the next two days of the race, and even after the race is over, by the CD if you are sure you want to proceed with the protest.? Not to mention that the protest procedures weren't followed per the rule book. So the protest for all intensive purposes didn't happen. It seems to me that the problem isn't the rules, but the lack of enforcement. No one wants to be the bad guy. People want to be in charge. They want to hold the mic, call races , call out the running order, but when it comes to actually having to do the not so fun part of running a race where someone's feelings are going to get hurt. We want to be hands off. Sounds to me like we need some rules in place to hold CD's and other officials at races accountable, for upholding the integrity of the race, and the organization represented, IMPBA or NAMBA. I've brought this up to someone in IMPBA in a phone conversation, and it was immediately shot down. Saying that if CD's where put in that situation that no one would want to CD. SEE what I mean. Everyone wants to be in charge, but on one wants to IN CHARGE, or accountable.

It's also funny how any time the dreaded words "tear down" is mentioned we come up with every excuse as to way not do it. Who's to say the crank you are running is a O.S is a factory outboard crank. Doesn't take a lot to have a custom crank made! Are you 100% positive that the piston and sleeve, in said engine, is an "outboard" piston and sleeve? Do you need to do tear down's at a local club race or a district race, No. Unless there's a protest or the club/district wants to. At World Championship or a National's labeled race might not be a bad idea.

I had no problem with the old rules. Got a lil slap on the wrist one time for not following them! I have no problem with the new rules. Then interchanging or water cooled and air cooled parts makes since! Makes it a little cheaper for people not wanting to spend a pile to keep up with changing factory motors. It's not what the manufacturer or retailers want to see. $400.00 for selling a new motor or $120.00 for the parts to make an old motor new. I can see why a few out there don't like the new rules. Changing the color of a part. Is it really that big of a deal? Yeah I brought that up again! Will I run the infamous "Silver" O.S water jacket cover now that I can. NOPE! Because now I can run an air cooled head on that motor.

2015 race seasons gonna be fun. Those of yall that play with toy boats have fun. Those of yall who like to race little race boats. Lets get it on!

Last edited by a moderator:
So what happens when you try to enforce the rules as a participant, in the form of a protest, like the rulebook says. Then get asked repeatedly over the next two days of the race, and even after the race is over, by the CD if you are sure you want to proceed with the protest.? Not to mention that the protest procedures weren't followed per the rule book. So the protest for all intensive purposes didn't happen. It seems to me that the problem isn't the rules, but the lack of enforcement. No one wants to be the bad guy. People want to be in charge. They want to hold the mic, call races , call out the running order, but when it comes to actually having to do the not so fun part of running a race where someone's feelings are going to get hurt. We want to be hands off. Sounds to me like we need some rules in place to hold CD's and other officials at races accountable, for upholding the integrity of the race, and the organization represented, IMPBA or NAMBA. I've brought this up to someone in IMPBA in a phone conversation, and it was immediately shot down. Saying that if CD's where put in that situation that no one would want to CD. SEE what I mean. Everyone wants to be in charge, but on one wants to IN CHARGE, or accountable.

It's also funny how any time the dreaded words "tear down" is mentioned we come up with every excuse as to way not do it. Who's to say the crank you are running is a O.S is a factory outboard crank. Doesn't take a lot to have a custom crank made! Are you 100% positive that the piston and sleeve, in said engine, is an "outboard" piston and sleeve? Do you need to do tear down's at a local club race or a district race, No. Unless there's a protest or the club/district wants to. At World Championship or a National's labeled race might not be a bad idea.

I had no problem with the old rules. Got a lil slap on the wrist one time for not following them! I have no problem with the new rules. Then interchanging or water cooled and air cooled parts makes since! Makes it a little cheaper for people not wanting to spend a pile to keep up with changing factory motors. It's not what the manufacturer or retailers want to see. $400.00 for selling a new motor or $120.00 for the parts to make an old motor new. I can see why a few out there don't like the new rules. Changing the color of a part. Is it really that big of a deal? Yeah I brought that up again! Will I run the infamous "Silver" O.S water jacket cover now that I can. NOPE! Because now I can run an air cooled head on that motor.

2014 race seasons gonna be fun. Those of yall that play with toy boats have fun. Those of yall who like to race little race boats. Lets get it on!

Hmm, my calendar say January 2015. Just picked it up today at the ACE Hardware Store.

JD

Oops! I fixed it JD. The first 15 days of a new year you should get a pass!!
default_laugh.png

Even with the old IMPBA rules inside is not an issue as long as bore and stroke are correct. Lets face it few K&B motors will run with a OS. And the only thing stock on most B-Sport motors are the two things bore sizes carb and exhaust that are checked.OTHER than looking at Rons flywheel,sorry Ron what I mean is the outward appearance should show no external modification. If you want to protest go ahead,if a 21 Nova piston and sleeve are found inside the motor as long as the engine size has not been altered its legal. B-Sport is a tuners class not a beginners class. And as Grim said its one of the best most fun classes to run,dont like it race another class there are plenty to choose from....

Even with the old IMPBA rules inside is not an issue as long as bore and stroke are correct. Lets face it few K&B motors will run with a OS. And the only thing stock on most B-Sport motors are the two things bore sizes carb and exhaust that are checked.OTHER than looking at Rons flywheel,sorry Ron what I mean is the outward appearance should show no external modification. If you want to protest go ahead,if a 21 Nova piston and sleeve are found inside the motor as long as the engine size has not been altered its legal. B-Sport is a tuners class not a beginners class. And as Grim said its one of the best most fun classes to run,dont like it race another class there are plenty to choose from....
Right om Mike!

Nope.. there is not.. your not reading this right..

As long as the motor meets the basic visual requirements and go no go gauge.. your good to go.

Its not a matter of cheating. This never was.

The bottom line is this.. this class IS and HAS been successful. The racing is about the best regarding tunnel boat racing we have. Close, fast and easy to setup and maintain. Lots of fun. under 6oz of fuel a run and a glow plug or two a season.. not to bad..

Maybe the best following in IMPBA racing in years. Because of this it get tossed under the microscope every time somebody looses. (they must be cheating!)..

Change came anyway.. EVEN though its working. We have lots of other opportunities to make racing better in the IMPBA. Clean up the classes, better define FE racing.. lots more stuff.

So much for what might just be MY thoughts of what happen or is happening.. maybe I have ZERO clue.. but why then is it every race I attend sport tunnel fills..

I said it before.. I accept the rule change.. don't understand it but we voted and I accept it.

Lets RACE! 2015 is going to ROCK AND ROLL!

Grim

loosely based on a quote from a good buddy of mine who races IMPBA Sport 20 outboard

"I dont care if he is cheating or running a .28 motor, as long as I can get my hands on one, and run the same thing, lets race!!"

I just don't think they get it Grim

I know for a FACT that the guys in the top 3 in Sport 20 at the Herb race 2 months ago (oh crap, how time flies!!) were not there because they had illeagal motors (even if they did)...they were there because they were GREAT drivers and AWSOME racers who I know test an tune there boats alot and could stick them on the bouys lap after lap at full throttle (oh wait I got 3rd after results were taken on 3 best rounds haha). They deserved to be there for that alone.

Put in the water time and you might get the results. Buy a motor, slap on a prop and expect to win? Good luck to you in ANY class, let alone a class with 'limited' power available.

Curious, has anyone done any testing to back up the theory (in full size real pump or toy motors) of the fact that only so much power is available (with increase of engine size or mods) from say 8mm carb inlet and 6mm exhaust outlet?

Chris.. I have not.. I have challenged myself to work with the parts, motors and what not available to all. I use a box boat, motor prop plug and fuel. No changes ANYBODY can buy the same stuff I use. I am more then happy to share my setup and help others, willing to learn, set up there boats.

This is NOT a Grim pump as I feel my "good" years are over. But I do feel if im going to race this class the best way to promote it is to run stuff others can just buy off the shelf. I owe it to me and to the guys I race. The day will come when I design a new tunnel and in that it takes time to get what I want. BUT.. as soon as and IF the boat comes to market it too will be my weapon of choice.

Grim

I just started this class a couple seasons ago. It has become one of my favorite classes to run. I was a little confused about the rule thing and now more so. I hate this crap it's just like when I ran bikes you have those guys that sit at night and define and adjust in there own mind a definition for the rules. That's just part of any racing thankfully they are very few. Grim sums it up best, Lets race 2015

So if anything can be done to the inside including use a different crank, sleeve etc. then there is nothing 'Sport' about it. It's Outlaw 20. That being the case, I have quite a few K&B's that will be going noticeably faster now.

There are a lot of "other" parts that can be shoe horned into a K&B .21 block. Just thinking outside the box.

Latest posts

Back