B Sport rule change

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if anything can be done to the inside including use a different crank, sleeve etc. then there is nothing 'Sport' about it. It's Outlaw 20. That being the case, I have quite a few K&B's that will be going noticeably faster now.
guess i need to start workin on a cm&b. after talking to someone who helped write the original rules for this class, the original intent has been totally ignored. outlaw 20 is a good name, mark. that is what it has become. like i said in a previous post, look up F.A.S.T. drag racing. pretty good comparision, imo. 9 second 130 mph "stock appearing" street cars.

Robin

I hope you were not referring to me! I proposed a "stock" class, not the current "sport" class. Mr Lee and Mr Geraghty (and possibly others) wrote the original wording for the class.

Robin

I hope you were not referring to me! I proposed a "stock" class, not the current "sport" class. Mr Lee and Mr Geraghty (and possibly others) wrote the original wording for the class.
nope, not you bob. my own personal thought is that the parts inside should be from the same manufacturer that is marked on the outside of the case. mix, match & mod to your heart's desire, just stay within brand, jmho. i mean, if it says k&b on the outside but has cmb guts - then it's NOT a currently available production model as the rules state it must be.....the rules are too vague with contradictions that may be enforced/read differently by individual cd's. that potential may cause me to not run "sport" anymore. it's just too open to how much money do you want to spend. not all of us have unlimited budgets or resources.

But Robin, remember.. The proof is you don’t have to do all that BS..

You CAN be competitive with a box motor. I am..

Grim

Outlaw 20 we have a winner , so is legal now to run a os with the shim out with nr sleeve and custom crank as long as it's a 21. Lol

I better stop stering the pot .

Even with the old IMPBA rules inside is not an issue as long as bore and stroke are correct. Lets face it few K&B motors will run with a OS. And the only thing stock on most B-Sport motors are the two things bore sizes carb and exhaust that are checked.OTHER than looking at Rons flywheel,sorry Ron what I mean is the outward appearance should show no external modification. If you want to protest go ahead,if a 21 Nova piston and sleeve are found inside the motor as long as the engine size has not been altered its legal. B-Sport is a tuners class not a beginners class. And as Grim said its one of the best most fun classes to run,dont like it race another class there are plenty to choose from....
Thank You Mr Mike > Kinda say's it all .............

Outlaw 20 we have a winner , so is legal now to run a os with the shim out with nr sleeve and custom crank as long as it's a 21. Lol

The Novarossi sleeve is too tall for the OS block, but can be done. You will need an old OS block and an OS RG water cooled head. If you want to know more, pm me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob here is a question for you , with thw new rule reading like this "but any part from a

manufacturer’s outboard may be replaced with any other outboard part for the same size outboard
from the same manufacturer, the exception being that" how can a Nova Rossi part be legal in an OS outboard? What am I missing?

Why not just index the classes no motor or mod limits .if you run faster then this laptime your in this class .slower your in this class .that way everyone can run ,fast 3.5s could run with the 7.5s .i would think it's easier for a cd to track laptimes rather then teardown and interpret rules .if during a race you run faster then your index you breakout and are dqed that race

from what this looks to me i as long as the ouside looks Stock you can modify the **** out of the inside. so basically you have a modified engine in the stock / Sport class. what happened here is that they just created a Sport B Tunnel Modified class LOL. what it should have been is a Bone stock with no internal mods ect ect just like grim said buy it and put it on your boat and race..

The rules only affect the external parts. You can do what ever you want internally, as long as you don't exceed the displacement limit.

Bob here is a question for you , with thw new rule reading like this "but any part from a

manufacturers outboard may be replaced with any other outboard part for the same size outboard

from the same manufacturer, the exception being that" how can a Nova Rossi part be legal in an OS outboard? What am I missing?

Ya'll have fun with this abortion, I'm done here & with the class. I'll take Mikey's suggestion, too many other classes to run - with CLEAR CUT rules.

From the rule book:

B. Engine Specifications
1. Engines must be standard factory production with a minimum of 100 units available for sale to the
general public. To be eligible for the International Regatta the engines must have been offered for
sale to the general public not less than ninety (90) days prior to that year's International Regatta.
2. The powerhead and lower unit must be of the same manufacturer and model.

Following this thread, made me read the rule book. I am not a tunnel boater, but do enjoy watching these run. I pasted in #1 and # 2 out of the IMPBA rule book. It definitely looks to me the intent of the rules are to have the powerhead and lower unit same mfg and model. This would include INSIDE the engine too in my opinion. The new rule voted on did not affect the inside of the motors.

The new rule allows same mfg parts on outside from same size motor to eliminate some nit pickin and make it more fun to race as many people do not have duplicate motors to get parts from to be exact blueprint.

Some of these rules are getting more difficult to manage at races. As a club racer, we do not want to inspect insides of engines. We want to promote competition within the classes and follow the rules.

This is what happens when people decode the rule book and over think it. My old K&B ran good last year and as far as I know was legal. It will run again this year untouched on the same old hull minus the hole in the side.

Lets race

from what this looks to me i as long as the ouside looks Stock you can modify the **** out of the inside. so basically you have a modified engine in the stock / Sport class. what happened here is that they just created a Sport B Tunnel Modified class LOL. what it should have been is a Bone stock with no internal mods ect ect just like grim said buy it and put it on your boat and race..
This was my thoughts since day one in this hobby, Julian.

This class needs less rules, more specific. Honestly, the more rules change in this hobbie the closer it drives me away from it... More rules= more confusion... Among people...

I've been looking into getting a tunnel for a while, so if I buy a OS outboard that is stock in B Sport Tunnel, I'm going to get mopped by the boats that are modified with Swapped Internal parts. Right or Wrong?

Wrong

It's all in boat set up and prop and driving.

The Novarossi sleeve is too tall for the OS block, but can be done. You will need an old OS block and an OS RG water cooled head. If you want to know more, pm me.

Bob,

Did OS produce a .21 RG Outboard? If not, then how can your above statement be LEGAL per the IMPBA Sport .21 Outboard Rules?

I cant find any record of an OS .21 RG Outboard....

Per osengines.com website under discontinued engines... the only one that states Outboard is the old water cooled engine.

Old Marine and Ducted Fan Engines

11280 - 12 CZ-M

11270 - 12 CZ-MX

11330 - 10 FP-M

11525 - 15 CV-M

11526 - 15 CV-MX

11890 - 18 CVR-M

12140 - 21 SE-M

12321 - 20 FP-M

12940 - 32 F-MX

12980 - 32 SX-MX

13630 - 21 RG-M

13631 - 21 RG-MX

13820 - 21 RX-M

13850 - 21 RZ-M

13950 - 21 VZ-M

13940 - 21 XM Outboard

15325 - 40 VR-M

15361 - 46 VR-M

15390 - 46 VX-M

15392 - 46 VX-DF ABC

16728 - 46 VR-M ABC

15350 - 46 VR-DF

17171 - 61 VR-M

17212 - 65 VR-DF

17220 - 65 VR-M

17501 - 91 VR-DF Heat Sink Head

17511 - 91 VR-DF Small Head

18101 - 81 VR-M

Am I miss reading the new rules?

Referring to the OS Engine... I interpret them as, you only have two options as far as heads, original outboard water cooled and the new outboard air cooled... correct?

Pulled directly from the December 2014 IMPBA Roostertail...

3. The engine external parts shall remain as originally manufactured, but any part from a
manufacturer’s outboard may be replaced with any other outboard part for the same size outboard
from the same manufacturer, the exception being that slide valve exhaust adapters may not be
used with carburetor equipped engines.

4. The following exceptions will be allowed in the Sport Outboard Tunnel specifications:
a. Adhesives (loctite), set screws and jam nuts.
b. Any carb linkage arms.
c. Any motor mount.
d. Any glow plug, fuel brand and mixture.
e. Any type steering arm.
f. The factory color finish may be altered or removed as an appearance alteration.
g. Any flywheel nut.
h. The lower unit below the cavitation plate may be trimmed, sharpened or polished. No
material shall be added to the lower unit.
i. Adjustable mixture controls will be allowed, however the original needle valve must remain
in its original position.

Grim? Dunlap? Did OS make a RG Outboard?

Latest posts

Back