B Sport rule change

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok need some clarification, years ago my lower got cut for a pipe (that never worked right), i do have a can muffler like they use on the outboards can i use my cut out lower and the stock K&B canister mufler or do i have to buy a new lower unit?

i will have to trim it a bit more so it fits

DSCF8405.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread has been very interesting and it's interesting the different interpretations of all these knowledgeable racers!

It seems to me that IMPBA (and maybe NAMBA) who sets their rules, should post interpretations to their websites answering those questions. Racers and cd's could submit questions.

To me the key is making sure everyone is interpreting the rules consistently and that everyone has access to those interpretations (now and until they no longer apply due to future rule changes).

I am getting back into rc boats and am going to run ob 21 unmodified and have been able to figure out the basics of the rules, but some of these other discussions regarding (ie nr liners, etc..) I would have never thought of that unless os and nova Rossi are manufactured by the same manufacturer, which I can't find out there. Also, I don't understand the "significance" of the factory color finish may be altered or removed as an appearance alteration. But my point is, if there would be some source I can go to, I could get the updated rules and interpretations.

I'm chopping at the bit and can't wait to race this year regardless of the rules.

Some clarifications are needed right now I guess, so pay attention. First, in IMPBA , it doesn't matter what brand of parts you use on the inside, as long as you don't exceed the maximum displacement limit. Second, the intent of this rule change was to perpetuate the class as parts get harder to find. And third, the finish on the motor has very little to do with performance.

So let me get this right now it does not matter what we put on the inside as long as it is with in the .21 size as long as the outside looks stock

Looks that way! And if someone wants to protest you. You will only have to pull the head of to p&g the motor . You will not have to show anyone what's inside!

So let me get this right now it does not matter what we put on the inside as long as it is with in the .21 size as long as the outside looks stock
Now Come on, a Smart Monkey like you knows this because he has done it since I saw that awsome OS inspired NR at the 07 tunnel champs ;-)

Some clarifications are needed right now I guess, so pay attention. First, in IMPBA , it doesn't matter what brand of parts you use on the inside, as long as you don't exceed the maximum displacement limit. Second, the intent of this rule change was to perpetuate the class as parts get harder to find. And third, the finish on the motor has very little to do with performance.
really, i just spent an hour turning this stock k&B head so i could get it below 21thou clearance and i can use my old keeley headbutton ?? and i guess thats a no-go on my lower unit.

Nova Rossi just needs to buy lawless then there is a new player on the pond
couldnt ron just buy a bunch of lower units and put the rossi engines on them add a custom logo to the lower and sell them complete as the "shaw edition factory race outboard"..............
default_laugh.png
and i get a free one for thinking of it
default_biggrin.png

Jim Irwin tried to come up with his own .21 outboard by having a power head made, and putting it on his plastic lower unit and a custom muffler. It never made it.

Bob,

I see. The rule is referring to only external parts when it says "any part" below. I thought it was referring to any part (exterior or internal).

Thanks

Dan

Rule In part:

3. The engine external parts shall remain as originally manufactured but ANY PART from a manufacturer’s outboard may be replaced with any other outboard part for the same size outboard from the same manufacturer, the exception being that ....

You are correct
Bob this isn't how you presented it in the beginning of this thread before the vote and I quote-

"You can see the actual wording in the December Roostertail. To translate in to layman' terms, the proposal is to allow switching parts between .21 outboards of the same brand. Also the factory finish may be altered or removed. The intent of this change is to make it easier to keep motors competitive and to make IMPBA "Sport" rules closer to NAMBA "stock" rules."

And that isn't how it now reads in the rule itself-

3. The engine external parts shall remain as originally manufactured, but any part from a

manufacturer’s outboard may be replaced with any other outboard part for the same size outboard

from the same manufacturer, the exception being that slide valve exhaust adapters may not be

used with carburetor equipped engines.

This rule is manufacturer/brand specific. Yes you can use any K&B .21 outboard part inside any K&B .21 outboard or any O.S. .21 outboard part inside any O.S. .21 outboard, etc. but you cannot internally cross breed between different manufacturers.

Ha ha there are no exceptions it reads u can build any thing u like long as its the same 21 cc engine . Kudos to whoever thought this was a great idea to grow a sport ha ha thats funny now u have taken a class that was good and made it a class to cater to the man who has a big pocket, for he can pay some one to morf a super mota an run in with everyone else.ha ha ha ha growin the sport yea right this what its doin.

Ps kris hate to disapoint yea baby but that was all os never has it been any more, some people cant afford all them expensive novi rossi parts

I guess I will have to eat a large slice of humble pie and try to correct all the missinformation I have posted. I stand corrected in the rule changes. IMPBA does not allow internal parts from another brand to be used. Only K&B parts may be used in K&B motors, and only OS parts in an OS motor. I apologize for giving incorrect info. Maybe one of you would like to have my job so this doesn't happen again.i would be happy to give a good reference if someone thinks they would do a better job.

20% Engine Speed

30% Boat Handling

50% Driving Skill

After getting back into boating after 15+ years, I'm still seeing the above still gets you the best results in most classes. Just keep the motor running reliable, keep finger off the full throttle all the time, pay attention to the attitude of boat, and stay on buoys.........your a shoe in for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd trophy at the end of the weekend

BANG.. Curtis NAILED It..

Just think.. .. an IMPBA OBD wants out and one that did not want out got booted....lol

CrAzY............

Grim

Back