.12 to .18 engine differences

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumzzzzz

I've been noticing quite a contrast between the prices of these small engines, some of the exotic .12's get very expensive ($200+!)

Is there any reason for getting one of these .12's as opposed to a milder yet cheaper and higher displacement .16 or .18?

I can see why in the car hobby a limited .12 engine size class would matter, but for boats is there really any purpose?

there is 1 rule

RULE1) HOW DEEP IS YOUR POCKET IS RELEVANT IS HOW FAST YOU WANT TO GO LOL:blink:

THANKS NEAL

there is 1 rule

RULE1) HOW DEEP IS YOUR POCKET IS RELEVANT IS HOW FAST YOU WANT TO GO LOL:blink:

THANKS NEAL
sometime i like the old saying.. more money then brains,theory.. :eek: :lol: but the fastest boats dont aways win, its the boat that stay consistance in races...wins the races most of the times..I do like the.12-.18 to have in the rigger and all in the same class too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just rembering the saying "there is no replacement for displacement", and was wondering if this

holds true comparing a 7 port, rear exhaust and expensive .12 to a cheaper stock side exhaust .16 or .18 with a tuned pipe?

You can also mod the stocker too if you want(for free).

I was just rembering the saying "there is no replacement for displacement", and was wondering if this

holds true comparing a 7 port, rear exhaust and expensive .12 to a cheaper stock side exhaust .16 or .18 with a tuned pipe?

You can also mod the stocker too if you want(for free).
i would be running a.18... ya there is replacemt for displacement.. big blocks on real cars put out the power and tork but small blocks can take alot higher rev rpm's then big blocks,,,seen small block motors smoke some big blocks...

Last edited by a moderator:
not to go on too much of a tangent, but it's always been my understanding proper gearing to the power bandwith of a v8 engine is what matters. Also a properly built big block v8 is more efficient torque to rpm wise vs a built small block - better rod/length ratios, valve/intake runners ect..

perhaps this relates to boats as well - more torque on tap = bigger props.

The more you spend, the higher quality the parts should be. I have found out the hard and expensive way that a lot of .12-.18 engines don't work well in boats as it's about the timing.

Whgat the RC car and truck guys are paying for some engines is insane. I've seen them upwards of $500.00 for a .12!

Compare the Nova Rossi .12 marine engine to one almost identical for the 4-wheelers and you'll (you know what)! They're selling them for about double that Glenn is.

Thats right - there will be timing differences, especially if the engines are tuned to use those car pipes too :eek:

Drum,

Bigger is not always better. Our boats need High RPM to run well, but I think

you should spend your money wisely, hint ( Nova Rossi-12) with the right pipe

and carb is AMAZING. You can spend a lot of money and really just have a so so

engine. If you are going to buy a 18 why not just buy a 21 and really get a good motor?

12's or 21's are all you need to go fast in a JAE boat, so spend your money on good

pipes and carbs would be my best advice. :D

Happy New Year,

Mark Sholund

Back