Where to buy fuel in bulk quantities

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think perhaps the panic is a bit premature about fuel availability. Sure the major players like FHS aren't buying nitro right now until the price comes down BUT it is also the "off season" for about 80% of the model fuel markets. How much fuel do you think FHS, O'Donnel, etc. sell in JANUARY???? I'd bet that as we get closer to say late March you're gonna see fuel available from all of them. They are trying to avoid paying the currently excessive price for nitro and I don't blame them, but once we get further into '09 they will have to buy it at whatever the going rate is to make fuel, which certainly doesn't take long, so I think they are going to hold as long as they can for any possible price point advantage. B)

The End or would you like some cheese with your whine

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside from Technology Fuels, are bulk fuel orders being filled by any other vendors? Our club is also looking to do a buy shortly and we prefer bulk orders over individual case purchases. Even if folks are willing to pay rediculous prices, it appears fuel may become artificially scarce this year.
Bill
I would think ( I.W) as a group of model boats. Would have a BIG buying POWER!!!!! I think we need to all put are heads together and find a Solution to this problem of cost to the average boater looking for fuel.
That's exactly what happened last spring during the Great Glow Plug Panic of 2008! One person bought a huge order, thanks Mark, and then sold to the rest of us at a much lower price than anyone could get individually.

Fuel is a bit tougher due to the additional shipping regulations, but it certainly can be, and has been, done. For example, Doug Carter bought a bunch from FHS last fall and Don, me, and several others in the D12 area bought from Doug. The plan for pulling off such a thing is for people in the same area, or who will be in the same area (such as for a race), to band together. Ship all the fuel to one place and then divide it up at the race, club meeting, or whatever.

I've read it all and it has been an interesting read. Trying to plan ahead is always something people should try and do. I usually try to buy bulk quantity and sell to others that don't generally need the quantitities I do. I am supporting 4 racers this year, primarily in scale so I had had needs to acquire at least 50 gallons for myself. When I talked to FHS earlier in December the owner shared with me what he had remaining in nitro and thought the nitro issue was more political than anything. It has something to do with the need of nitro for agriculture purposes. He said nitro is available but from China at 3 times the cost and he wasn't sure whether the RC market was willing to pay what it mitake.

I bought what they had remaining but that wasn't much in excess of my needs and the remainder is spoken for.

There was a number for Technology fuels. As this years Chair for RCUnlimiteds here in the NW I would like to find 50-55% nitro availability for our club members, For shipping purposes, where is Technology fuels located? Do they sell our style nitro or ethane?

I don't know about others but I take my racing hobby very seriously. I spend the whole winter preparing for the next season. That includes trying to stockpile everything needed. It's kinda like going to the movie. My wife insists that we get there at 30 minutes ahead just to get a good seat. Nothing is more frustrating than having the previews start and have someone ask you to move so they can get 4 seats together. That's probably not the best analogy.

I suggest all clubs address the availability for the season now. Maybe there will be better availability in the Spring as Don says. But what if the price hasn't dropped yet and manufacturers say, "well there must be a demand cause I'm not hearing from anyone."

One of the choices we have elected to do as a club this year to help offset costs, travel, racing and food is to reduce the schedule by 2 races. We have dropped from a 14 race series to 12. For the hardcore racer that will race at almost any cost this is an acceptable option. If fuel prices are too high then cut down the amount of testing time allowed on race day.

I understand Powermaster still has up to 60% boat fuel available. Most hobby dealers deal with Powermaster fuels. I think dealer cost on 60% is 36.00@gallon in minimum 6 gallon quantities, plus shipping. Ask your local hobby dealer to special buy for you and your club fronts the money. The dealer will likely upcharge 1-2 dollars a gallon and everyones happy.

This is why this forum is so great. It is the best I've seen for racers sharing ideas.

Come race the NAMBA nats with me and mine in Marysville, WA this July 11-18.

I've read it all and it has been an interesting read. Trying to plan ahead is always something people should try and do. I usually try to buy bulk quantity and sell to others that don't generally need the quantitities I do. I am supporting 4 racers this year, primarily in scale so I had had needs to acquire at least 50 gallons for myself. When I talked to FHS earlier in December the owner shared with me what he had remaining in nitro and thought the nitro issue was more political than anything. It has something to do with the need of nitro for agriculture purposes. He said nitro is available but from China at 3 times the cost and he wasn't sure whether the RC market was willing to pay what it might take.

I bought what they had remaining but that wasn't much in excess of my needs and the remainder is spoken for.

There was a number for Technology fuels. As this years Chair for RCUnlimiteds here in the NW I would like to find 50-55% nitro availability for our club members, For shipping purposes, where is Technology fuels located? Do they sell our style nitro or ethane?

I don't know about others but I take my racing hobby very seriously. I spend the whole winter preparing for the next season. That includes trying to stockpile everything needed. It's kinda like going to the movie. My wife insists that we get there at 30 minutes ahead just to get a good seat. Nothing is more frustrating than having the previews start and have someone ask you to move so they can get 4 seats together. That's probably not the best analogy.

I suggest all clubs address the availability for the season now. Maybe there will be better availability in the Spring as Don says. But what if the price hasn't dropped yet and manufacturers say, "well there must be a demand cause I'm not hearing from anyone."

One of the choices we have elected to do as a club this year to help offset costs, travel, racing and food is to reduce the schedule by 2 races. We have dropped from a 14 race series to 12. For the hardcore racer that will race at almost any cost this is an acceptable option. If fuel prices are too high then cut down the amount of testing time allowed on race day.

I understand Powermaster still has up to 60% boat fuel available. Most hobby dealers deal with Powermaster fuels. I think dealer cost on 60% is 36.00@gallon in minimum 6 gallon quantities, plus shipping. Ask your local hobby dealer to special buy for you and your club fronts the money. The dealer will likely upcharge 1-2 dollars a gallon and everyones happy.

This is why this forum is so great. It is the best I've seen for racers sharing ideas.

Come race the NAMBA nats with me and mine in Marysville, WA this July 11-18.

What kind of performance is lost from running 25% nitro instead of 50%?

If nitro prices stay high, what if racers were only allowed to run 25%? If everyone is limited to 25%, money is saved and there are no advantages to the guys that have larger budgets.

Personally, I feel nitro will fall just like gasoline fell. It's just taking longer.

If nitro prices stay high, what if racers were only allowed to run 25%? If everyone is limited to 25%, money is saved and there are no advantages to the guys that have larger budgets.

Personally, I feel nitro will fall just like gasoline fell. It's just taking longer.
Who is going to be the enforcement police and how and when is it done?

But, it is something to consider in say 2010. I think too late for this year.

Seems to me just another nail in the coffin for Nitro racing , not like it's not expensive enough already.

Last time I raced at the Atlanta Spring Nationals was 1996 , I believe they had one gas class racing that weekend.

Wonder how many are racing this year?

Tim K

I don't give it much thought at all . If I need fuel I buy it in 4 gallon quantities as it appears necessary . My outboard oil costs 27.00 a gallon and on a typical boat ride at 32:1 I use a gallon or slightly less . My job on this planet is to burn fossil fuels at the highest rate my economic conditions allow . Go ahead ......try to crucify me for this !! :lol: :lol:

Tom, you are TOO much

Bill, Technology Hobbies is located in Brandon Florida, and yes, John Otto's fuel is the correct fuel for our boating pleasure.

John mixes for planes, cars, heli's and of coarse BOATS.

He will mix what ever you want.

The problem is the shipping end of the deal, I know in the past he could only ship in quarts, to keep away from the HAZMAT fee's

last I heard, he was looking into what was needed to be able to ship gallons, not sure if he has gone through with it??

We, in Florida have become numb to the getting fuel problem, John seems to have been able to supply us with what we need, if we were willing to pay for it.

Getting it is the easy part for us, as John, or one of his club members are willing to deliver fuel to the races, cause they ARE racers.

I don't think I remember reading anything about Seaducer fuel in this thread, Jerry mixes fuel also, not sure about the shipping thing with Seaducer Boats either.

Either fuel dealer would only be a phone call to find out the answers everyone here is asking.

Why dosen't everyone do a little "leg work" before we start "kicking" the dirt in on the NITRO grave.

Happy New Year & Happy Boating, Nitro, or Gas, if you give up easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Who is going to be the enforcement police and how and when is it done?

But, it is something to consider in say 2010. I think too late for this year.
It's done in several kinds of racing. Everyone fills from the same fuel source, which is provided as part of the race.

I'm not going to sweat it right now as on my trek to the Midwest R/C Mecca, there are usually 3 fuel dealers there with truckloads of fuel at the Toledo show. Ritch's Brew, Byron's and at least one other are always there. The good thing now is that they can't sell the fuel inside the building (fire marshal's law) that I thought as first was bad but when you consider that all you have to do is back up to a trailer and not tote 4 gallons around the building then to a distant parking lot it sounded better.

You might want to check with the smaller mixers also. In Syracuse, NY Brian Cooper of Cooper's Custom Blends will make up whatever you want.

This shortage is making running my .12 powered boats look better all the time as 4 oz. will get my boats around an IMPBA course with fuel left, 6 laps plus pre-heat laps.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and their perspectives on this. I honestly do not think there will be a shortage of fuel at least this year. I do believe though that the buy price will be considerably higher than a year ago and may cause folks some grief. The solution is not to bail out if really enjoy running your boats. I also run Gas and it is an option but there is a cash outlay involved that outweighs the cost of running our engines.

Maybe I am being naive, but it was mentioned in this thread of running straight methanol only. I know this opens a can of worms as to how do we enforce it since once fuel is mixed with oil, it is difficult to test. I guess my question is: is this even feasible to consider as an alternative? If this subject would be better addressed as another thread, I will do so. I would really hate to see boats get 'benched' due to the lack of fuel or the price being too high.

Bill

Hey bill.

it is possible to runs SPEC FUEL.. but the clubs would have to hydrometer it to see what it is.. and i doubt that most would be willing to spend the time and money to do it.

i think car races are run like that but i might be wrong.

i was the one that brought up alcy and next year i am going to spend ALOT of time with it.. i may be a little slower but if i could cut my racing budget by 75% because of it.. i will take the slower and race more.

chris

Hey bill.
it is possible to runs SPEC FUEL.. but the clubs would have to hydrometer it to see what it is.. and i doubt that most would be willing to spend the time and money to do it.
Or the club provides the fuel for racing. The cost of spec fuel could be included as part of the entry fees. If the club publishes the brand and formula of fuel they're using people can buy their own for testing and tuning ahead of time. The club could even sell fuel at the race. Providing spec fuel would require a bit of work to setup and staff authorized fueling stations, but if there's a will, there's a way...

Back