what to do with the impba internats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lost all interest in going to any large race when they started limiting how many entries each class could have.

Anyone who wants to travel to a race should have the opportunity to enter that race. I realize this is a byproduct of to many classes, buy it is my two cents worth.

Bill Wachtler

Maybe it's just an anomaly that this year's Nats are poorly registered for. I don't feel location or any of that jazz has anything to do with it. But to a solution - Ricky Fowler just won the Players Open in Golf. Got him a 5 year exemption for the Masters, US and British opens, and on and on and on. Maybe we give our US 1 or individual class winners free entry fee to the following years Nats. Wouldn't hurt the next years host club that much.

As for Cash or Hobart. I remember reading a write up in Flying models about the New Orleans or Dallas Nats. Bob Murphy from Shamrock imports gave each of the top F hydro race winners a new OPS engine. < class sponsorship. Would entice maybe a few more racers.

Mr. Keely, Mr. Morton and Marty, what if we had regional trophy trials to decide that part of the Nats? Then a hotel stay in said internats hosting state would be cheaper and these could be held in Huntsville, Flint and maybe Calif. or Dallas. Dunno. Then if someone does well they can continue on to the heat racing portion of the Internats.

The only thing about different ponds is..... Huntsville can have glass water on the same day that Flint has typhoon waves. Not really fair. In any event if US 1 was to come back I feel 1 style of classification for expediency is needed. if you have AB, CD, E, F , Scale Hydro then AB, CD, E, F Mono kind of style classes it would work. If we get too granular about 4 or 5 different types of outboards... we'll never finish.

on the cash prize thing.. that will never happen. you give out cash for a race you might as well have the city police there to patrol because you already know how that will turn out LOL!!

i like the idea of set aside impba member funds ( percentage ) each yr to STRICKLY PAY FOR THE INTERNATS.. THAT I REALLY LIKE
Chris

IMPBA membership is not just racers. Only 15 to 20 percent of the members in my district actually attend more than one race. If you diverted funds solely for the purpose of Internats, it would have to be an additional fee payed by the racers.

If you look in the rule book, Section B, article II, it states;

B. The fostering of Model Power Boat Building

This is the purpose of the IMPBA.

ok

let me try to explain a few things.

al. the point of this thread is trying to discover what needs to be done to help revive the nats. This was in no way a disctraction thread to keep people from going. I am trying to figure out a way to make this work.. I am the type of person to FIX THINGS. alot of people chose to sit back and let others do.. that is fine. i am the DO person.

I just want to come up with a resolution or a idea on how we can make the race better. it has nothing and i have never said NOTHING bad about the charleston club.

Tom I understand the rules.. and i understand what the IMPBA is about. SO if we don't have any races to go to does that mean the impba is now done? just like the ampba did? we need people.. we need races.. with out both the impba can't survive. I am not saying it be a ton of money.. but dues cost a little more. and that PERCENTAGE went soley for funding the nats. i would think it would help the turn out and get people excided that they accually can see what there money is going for IF THEY CHOOSE TO GO.

I am just trying to come up with a resolution to the problem.. if this thread is going to turn into a huge issue i will have it deleted and we will carry on and then come next yr when the nats has the same issue's we have now we can start this topic all over and and go down the same path it is going.

OR we really try to come up with a way to fix it

if it is a time issue. then lets shorten it up.. if it is a location issue. then where would a central location be fair for everyone to attend. if it is a issue of clubs don't want to run the race. then lets get a different program. pretty straight forward. if we keep doing what we are doing we will have no change.. or we do something about it.

chris

I think if you found a club that will host the US-1 Internats everything else will fall in to place. Give that club a couple years to prepare and everyone else time to request off work or vacation. For the race. So it would be sometime in 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a possible solution to reviving the Internats and possibly securing it for many years to come and if you truly love the format itself then maybe this should be given some serious consideration. Offer a US full Internats race to the gas community.

They have the numbers to support such an event and if you truly love the format does it really matter what type of boat your racing?

Very good post Al! I agree with you 100%

Steve Ball

I've been watching this link the past couple of days. A lot of things have been addressed, but some things have not been discussed.

The organizations,, IMPBA and NAMBA, are not there to take care of individual preferences. The organizations were formed to enable individuals to run their boats in public areas, insured against accidents, and under clear rules.

Members of the organizations can be leaders, supporters, those that just go along, or those that sit back and complain. The organizations, to succeed need leaders and supporters.

The club in South Carolina stepped out to host the 2015 IMPBA Nitro Nats. Supporters have made the decision to enter or if they can't, they can't.

There are still some people that are thinking about attending the 2015 IMPBA Nitro Nats. But, if they are to read this link, they will see a lot of comments that are telling them they should not attend this event because;

1. It's in the wrong place

2. It's the wrong format

3. There are too many classes

4. These are the wrong classes for the area

5. There are other races to attend instead of this event

We need to all step up, respect the people that are hosting the event, and not start a discussion about what some people think is wrong in Charleston. If you can't attend, don't. You don't have to begin by saying you won't attend because something is wrong with the event.

There is something wrong with every event. But, there is a lot that is right about every event.

The way a supporter says he can't attend is to say I can't be there. I hope everyone has a good time.

Then, step up, be a leader and work to make things better down the road. The Charleston Club has shown that they are leaders by agreeing to host this event. I respect their decision, their planning, and their hard work. I plan to be there as long as they can stand up to the comments coming their way.

I've been attending NAMBA Nats since 1981. I started racing at IMPBA events in 1986. No event is perfect, but they are all opportunities to race with other people that like fast model boats. They are all opportunities to make new friends. They can all be improved for next year if the people with ideas step up to lead the way.

Al Hobbs

ok

let me try to explain a few things.

al. the point of this thread is trying to discover what needs to be done to help revive the nats. This was in no way a disctraction thread to keep people from going. I am trying to figure out a way to make this work.. I am the type of person to FIX THINGS. alot of people chose to sit back and let others do.. that is fine. i am the DO person.

I just want to come up with a resolution or a idea on how we can make the race better. it has nothing and i have never said NOTHING bad about the charleston club.

Tom I understand the rules.. and i understand what the IMPBA is about. SO if we don't have any races to go to does that mean the impba is now done? just like the ampba did? we need people.. we need races.. with out both the impba can't survive. I am not saying it be a ton of money.. but dues cost a little more. and that PERCENTAGE went soley for funding the nats. i would think it would help the turn out and get people excided that they accually can see what there money is going for IF THEY CHOOSE TO GO.

I am just trying to come up with a resolution to the problem.. if this thread is going to turn into a huge issue i will have it deleted and we will carry on and then come next yr when the nats has the same issue's we have now we can start this topic all over and and go down the same path it is going.

OR we really try to come up with a way to fix it

if it is a time issue. then lets shorten it up.. if it is a location issue. then where would a central location be fair for everyone to attend. if it is a issue of clubs don't want to run the race. then lets get a different program. pretty straight forward. if we keep doing what we are doing we will have no change.. or we do something about it.

chris
Exactly if we keep doing what were doing we will continue to have the same results. I don't think any of the Nitro Nats have been well attended with the new format.

Last edited by a moderator:
tim

how would that work with the current gas nats that is totally seperate from nitro right now? do away with it? just curious on your thoughts on that

I think if you found a club that will host the US-1 Internats everything else will fall in to place. Give that club a couple years to prepare and everyone else time to request off work or vacation. For the race. So it would be sometime in 2017

we did this a couple yrs ago with the current club that is hosting this yrs nats and the results so far hasn't gotten any different

again NOTHING against the club or it's facility's. even john from the club has stated this very thing.

Exactly Chris, offer a full on US event instead of the format now and see if there is interest.

IMO.. "foster model boating".. what could be wrong with the IMPBA owning/leasing a centrally located pond that would harbor a yearly event or even bi yearly.... would AMA let us on their pond if talks could ensue?... therein lies the problem... water... venue large enough to handle, or even want to handle a national event per crew, survey,safety, etc... we need a secure spot, ie: the IMPBA national race venue.....a forever venue... would you as a racer support higher dues or a one time fee for the chance at a secure constant venue to compete for a national title? yearly, bi yearly or whatever it takes?..maybe... volunteeer a day or two to judge, cd, or regulate things?..step up to even get it built?.... Johns club deserves kudos for having the fortitude to even bid for it in todays world... the logistics and work alone grind a club into the dirt.... I've never competed for a national title... this year its 1100 and massive... cant... again... Ive been to charleston.. twice... Jackson, and I prescouted Hobart last year....( all times.. would/are my boats be at the level i need to compete?) idk.. moneys down for the world and guys pick their poison... exception to the money, ill be lucky for 1 to 3 races this yr.... the D4 champs is maybe on par with things here... the wisconsin club if im on it correctly was the step up voice and continues to be for that.... why?... 1 club?.. in D6?... idk.. the Namba/IMPBA deal and i hate to be defeatist is the bane of the hobby... divided we fall... if.. it were one national entity... everybody wins from insurance to venue maybe to competition... ( THE DREAM)... maybe beside the point... but strength in numbers and the big money issue... question is the AMA has it together.. why cant we?... all kinds of things wrong... and too much fighting to gain the good... fighting right out of existence... idk.. for now... status quo, and nationwide... race where and if youre able.... and wait for something better.... maybe... see you out there....mike

Tim

The last Internats was US-1 format.

Chris

I'm not against your discussion, I think it's great to hear all these ideas. I am just stating what some of the obstacles are so we can "fix" them. I am like you, I like to solve the problem. My point is that actual racers are a minority in IMPBA.

Al

Great post! The Charleston Club, their site, and John are doing a fantastic job.I would recommend anyone to go their event.

I had that idea of splitting up into class groups a couple of years ago.You could have all sport boats at one event, all riggers at another, and so on. Different clubs could host each event to lessen the burden. Arguments against it were if a person had a mono and a hydro, he would have to go to two different events. Then if their boat only fit into one class, he is racing only one boat at each event.

I think some of the comments are right on about many of what are seen as issues. I really agree with the reward part. Sponsorship I think is key. If the IMPBA would establish long term agreements from the various manufactures "that we all support" for sponsorship. If someone enters the race they are assured of walking away with something of value to them in the hobby. EXCITEMENT need to be generated for the event and that has to be ongoing from the trophy ceremony of every race the IMPBA has.

Lets ask this.. would the impba be willing to look at taking charge of this event to get the burden away from a club?

and lets say YES WE WILL.. where could be do this race? centrally speaking.. i only say centrally for the fact that it is more a even field when it comes to travel for everyone.

tom i am with ya.. you are correct in the fact of guys run multi classes and probably wouldn't work with mult events.

unless we did like someone mentioned earlier about say mono's 2 days. hydro's two days ect that way if you run mono's you don't have to stay a week to finish up.

one thing i would like to comment on. it was brought up about the racers group and how well that went off.. is that any different than looking into paying someone ( or group ) to run / hold this race instead of a club?

i totally agree on the sponsorship from mfg.. look at car races.. fuel co.. glow plug motor co ect all kick in.. NOW with that being said the draw and EYES on the even are huge.. that is why they do it..

maybe we need to look at having the impba get with mfg's. asking for sponsorship of this national even as suggested. help pay for the race. and or pay for a group to put the race on.

Back