what to do with the impba internats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cutting cost and time out of it seems to be the key.

Can each type of hull be split up into different days, during the same week? Hydros for X number of days in a row, monos, tunnels, etc... then the people who only need to be there for a couple of days can be and the people who will be there all week will be...

Just thinking out loud.

if you went to the original format no, unless you stopped and did time trials then after that was done then went back to regular racing for the next set of classes

I have yet to go to a IMPBA race, I was just throwing out ideas. I would imagine that even though it is a lot of work to do it as I suggested, if it could draw the amount of people you want, then it should be worth the work for everyone.

Cutting cost and time out of it seems to be the key.

Can each type of hull be split up into different days, during the same week? Hydros for X number of days in a row, monos, tunnels, etc... then the people who only need to be there for a couple of days can be and the people who will be there all week will be...

Just thinking out loud.
On that same note, what if we were to retain the US-1 format (heat racing+time trials=US-1 winner), but we split the event based on classes into two separate racing weekends? Example monos and tunnels race Friday, Saturday with time trials on Sunday. The US-1 winners for those classes are declared on Sunday. The following weekend, hydros, sport hydros, scale etc. race utilizing the same format. That way the race is more accessible to racers given the shorter time frame. While yes, you may have class crossover where someone runs a mono and also a hydro, I think it's probably more common that if someone owns a competitive 20 mono, they probably also own a competitive 40 or 60 mono.

The issue right now is attendance and the question "Why is this race so special" due to three major factors: race length(time off work), distance traveled, and competition entering the race. Qualifiers limit attendance so the race should be open to everyone.

What if as an added bonus, US-1 winners were added to the rulebook/IMPBA webpage? That might also add to the incentive to attend as an additional accomplishment, similar to getting your name in the record book.

The other major hurdle is actually finding a club to host the race. It seems most of the big clubs are burned out and don't want to do it. What can IMPBA do to reverse that and to encourage other potential clubs to want to do it. Is it additional help? Is it monetary compensation? Is it an easier format and structure? If the Internats were to be hosted say every 4 years, why couldn't there be a fund set aside from membership or race dues that could be set aside to save up and pay for the event as opposed to putting it mostly on the club?

-Mitch

I like the idea of seperate events/weekends for each boat style, it just doesn't seem cost/time effective, if those are even the issues.

When we did the NAMBA nats here in Florida its alot of work not just 7 days of work several months of planning working on the site and so on problem i see now a days is people being able to take 7 days off to race. Maybe make it a 4 day race every other year

on the cash prize thing.. that will never happen. you give out cash for a race you might as well have the city police there to patrol because you already know how that will turn out LOL!!

i like the idea of set aside impba member funds ( percentage ) each yr to STRICKLY PAY FOR THE INTERNATS.. THAT I REALLY LIKE

on the cash prize thing.. that will never happen. you give out cash for a race you might as well have the city police there to patrol because you already know how that will turn out LOL!!

i like the idea of set aside impba member funds ( percentage ) each yr to STRICKLY PAY FOR THE INTERNATS.. THAT I REALLY LIKE
True but the turn out would increase.I thought that was the objective.lol

The "Old" internals was the best and most challenging event one can attend. I have been to MANY Internats and it took a long time getting my US1 in F- hydros.

The present day racers have NO IDEA how much fun and Challenging it is to win a US1. All of the other formats are just a glorified heat races.

To get a US 1 you have to have a top rung boat and driver.

Maybe some day folks will see the light. The greatness of the original format as stated you come just for the heat racing for 3-4 days or come at the beginning of the week for trophy trials and try and set a record and go or stay and combine the trophy trials with heat racing for a US1.

It can't get any better, several options to fit everyone.
Since IW doesnt suppot likes, this is my LIKE!!! Doc is spot on!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at what's working at what is not. Some "National" and large 3-4 day events fill out and the Internats are not. The week long event doesn't seem to draw like it used to. Having separate specialty races for hydros, monos, and outboards for US-1 would be more feasible. Rather than a club take all the responsibility let the districts host the events at their premier site and clubs work together.

As for the US-1 award maybe it only be given to a class with 10 or more entries. 6 boats and one is going to win even with trials. Not as much an accomplishment as a specialty heat race with 30 boats. This award should mean something.

A course survey is only needed to establish records. How often does a record get set at an Internats. Allow manual timing (stop watch) for 2 laps and it could be done at the end of every day of class heat racing. Some form of a radar run could determine the fastest of 5 boats also and you would not need to set up timing equipment, which is what takes time and needs to be done for one specific day. If all the top 5 run the same course and format the a less formal time trial will still find the best boat. Keeping the larger entry level for the top award will keep its credibility.

Mic

Chris,

Back in the day when I ran APBA you had to be in the top of your Division to Qualify to go to the Nationals.. You had to be in the top five in the region to get to the Divisionals then you went to Usually it was held in Depue, IL. for the Nationals. That meant the best of the best showed up for the "Big Trophy"!!! In my case here in Florida I'm omitted from participating in such a format because Fla. is overrun by NAMBA. We have limited IMPBA members and no IMPBA Races..

Later!!

Pat

Give cash prize!!!
, no way there can be enough arguing and fighting now no need to and cash to the problem
Then the club could make even more money....selling tickets to see the fights between the drivers
default_ph34r.png

Give cash prize!!!
, no way there can be enough arguing and fighting now no need to and cash to the problem
Then the club could make even more money....selling tickets to see the fights between the drivers
default_ph34r.png
This has been mentioned but I thought that I would elaborate a little. I believe that Earnie Leflour had the right idea for getting the personnel to put on the Internats. He hired a group of IMPBA members called "The Racers Group" as workers for putting on the race and paid them by the amount of time that they worked at the race. Plenty of help was available. Not all IMPBA members would be racing. Just like any other business. It was a good plan.

Charles

Chris,

If you look at what brought the boaters out of the woodwork for the first Hobart race, you'd have the correct response to the suggestion of cash prizes. Offering up highly valuable, class specific prizes for the winners of each class made the inaugural Hobart event such a success. Now that the competition is there, I think they would still come without the prizes.

Personally, I think running the Internats at the same venue every year would kill it. Even though I've only been to one Internats, I would think the idea of seeing a new race site every year would be a draw for most people. Let alone the fact that it is a very stressful undertaking for the host club.

Just my two cents. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Model Machine And Precision LLC

I've been watching this link the past couple of days. A lot of things have been addressed, but some things have not been discussed.

The organizations,, IMPBA and NAMBA, are not there to take care of individual preferences. The organizations were formed to enable individuals to run their boats in public areas, insured against accidents, and under clear rules.

Members of the organizations can be leaders, supporters, those that just go along, or those that sit back and complain. The organizations, to succeed need leaders and supporters.

The club in South Carolina stepped out to host the 2015 IMPBA Nitro Nats. Supporters have made the decision to enter or if they can't, they can't.

There are still some people that are thinking about attending the 2015 IMPBA Nitro Nats. But, if they are to read this link, they will see a lot of comments that are telling them they should not attend this event because;

1. It's in the wrong place

2. It's the wrong format

3. There are too many classes

4. These are the wrong classes for the area

5. There are other races to attend instead of this event

We need to all step up, respect the people that are hosting the event, and not start a discussion about what some people think is wrong in Charleston. If you can't attend, don't. You don't have to begin by saying you won't attend because something is wrong with the event.

There is something wrong with every event. But, there is a lot that is right about every event.

The way a supporter says he can't attend is to say I can't be there. I hope everyone has a good time.

Then, step up, be a leader and work to make things better down the road. The Charleston Club has shown that they are leaders by agreeing to host this event. I respect their decision, their planning, and their hard work. I plan to be there as long as they can stand up to the comments coming their way.

I've been attending NAMBA Nats since 1981. I started racing at IMPBA events in 1986. No event is perfect, but they are all opportunities to race with other people that like fast model boats. They are all opportunities to make new friends. They can all be improved for next year if the people with ideas step up to lead the way.

Al Hobbs

Back