what to do with the impba internats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off. PROGRESS. We are looking at the issue and not going into a full blown fight

I know 1st hand what it takes to win a us1. Got 3 of them in the PRIME OR RACING

I agree the format is the true test of competition BUT

All issues aside. And I am asking this of everyone. What is the main thing that draws you to a race. As a good friend pointed out. People will go IF THEY REALLY WANT TO

So. What makes you go. And what EXCITES YOU. About a race

This is good. IMPBA BOARD YOU SHOULD HE READING THIS THREAD

Don you hit the nail on the head with this statement, " The first race we stayed for 5 days and nights we shared a room and ate microwave meals to help with costs. When it was all over we totaled up the costs and found that we dipped into our vacation money and could not afford to go to Florida as we wanted to. Personally I would rather have gone to Florida. It's the modern times we have to change to meet the times we are competing against Xboxes and Play Stations for the attentions of our youth and people just don't have the free time like they use to. " It's not just model boats that are hurting it's also the model airplane hobby. AMA had to lay off some of their employees a while back due to membership drops. The industry is changing most models airplane bought now are ARFs not kits that you actually have to put together. A majority of people want instant gratification now and do not want to wait while they build a model. Boats have always been a challenge since they require a retrieval method of some sort.
Bill Z. Model Airplanes are very big in St Louis with BIG BANK ACCOUNTS in the clubs...one club has 100,000 + in the club bank account.
Joel they are big here too, BUT my point was most have all gone to ARFs very few build thier own planes any longer.

The "Old" internals was the best and most challenging event one can attend. I have been to MANY Internats and it took a long time getting my US1 in F- hydros.

The present day racers have NO IDEA how much fun and Challenging it is to win a US1. All of the other formats are just a glorified heat races.

To get a US 1 you have to have a top rung boat and driver.

Maybe some day folks will see the light. The greatness of the original format as stated you come just for the heat racing for 3-4 days or come at the beginning of the week for trophy trials and try and set a record and go or stay and combine the trophy trials with heat racing for a US1.

It can't get any better, several options to fit everyone.

Sounds like a lot of people want to compete for US1 again.. My favorite boating memories are from the 2 Internats ive been too

Don you hit the nail on the head with this statement, " The first race we stayed for 5 days and nights we shared a room and ate microwave meals to help with costs. When it was all over we totaled up the costs and found that we dipped into our vacation money and could not afford to go to Florida as we wanted to. Personally I would rather have gone to Florida. It's the modern times we have to change to meet the times we are competing against Xboxes and Play Stations for the attentions of our youth and people just don't have the free time like they use to. " It's not just model boats that are hurting it's also the model airplane hobby. AMA had to lay off some of their employees a while back due to membership drops. The industry is changing most models airplane bought now are ARFs not kits that you actually have to put together. A majority of people want instant gratification now and do not want to wait while they build a model. Boats have always been a challenge since they require a retrieval method of some sort.
Bill Z. Model Airplanes are very big in St Louis with BIG BANK ACCOUNTS in the clubs...one club has 100,000 + in the club bank account.
Joel they are big here too, BUT my point was most have all gone to ARFs very few build thier own planes any longer.
That maybe true about ARFs,but model airplanes are not hurting. I'm in a few airplane clubs & I see people still building planes,I also build my own design planes.

The primary problem here is attendance,the Charleston club is the best club for drawing huge numbers. This is there second attempt to hold one of each type race. We all know how the first one went and the second one is circling the drain.The board agrees the Internats format should be run every 5 years to help make it more desirable. One thing I can say is I dont see Evansville ever hosting another Nats or Internats, it has worn our club thin. Ernie LeFleuor had the right idea with a racers group,and prizes are tough to get. Good topic Chris just no clear cut answers.

I guess nobody wants to talk about the elephant in the room.

IF the interest was there for this event, there wouldnt be a problem.

But we do have a boat load of excuses:

10 years ago everyone was out of work or barley hanging on the a job.

Today most of us are working too much and dont or wont take the time off because of "money"

The event burns a club out......

Cant take that much time off, too long, cost.....

There are several "other" big races that satisfy our r/c boating needs.

The Nitro classes/people are getting older and lesser.

If you took all the Nirto topguns and asked them why they are not going ?

GAS !!

Its a simple math problem, no people + no interest = no race.

shoot away........

I guess nobody wants to talk about the elephant in the room.

IF the interest was there for this event, there wouldnt be a problem.

But we do have a boat load of excuses:

10 years ago everyone was out of work or barley hanging on the a job.

Today most of us are working too much and dont or wont take the time off because of "money"

The event burns a club out......

Cant take that much time off, too long, cost.....

There are several "other" big races that satisfy our r/c boating needs.

The Nitro classes/people are getting older and lesser.

If you took all the Nirto topguns and asked them why they are not going ?

GAS !!

Its a simple math problem, no people + no interest = no race.

shoot away........
100% correct Thanks Joe

i agree. lets look at it from this perspective. the hobart race gets excellent draw and people almost line up to go.. fall nats same situation.. SO what makes them races special?

is it the competition? people? club ? or all the above.. I guess my point behind the question is we all have our favorite races that we like to go to.. what would it take for the internats to get that same FEELING.

i will argue one thing that has been brought up and a friend reminded me about this. people that usually don't go or do certain things are usually one of the first to complain. and others that go don't make excuses they just go. now that is within reason.

I am a straight shooter so this is how i look at it. i took 3 yrs off. did some other stuff.. i miss the people. i miss racing. and it is sad to come back to see what hasn't changed. I really want to see the internats become the biggest race of the yr. i think in all honesty what needs to happen is the board really needs to get there claws dug in on this and make a conscious effort to try to revamp it.

If they don't want to then i guess it is up to use. so i am asking. what would it take to make the nats a WoW GOTTA GO BACK FOR THAT..

at the end of the day we go for fun ( most do ) and we need to get that race back to the level of EXCITEMENT that CAN'T WAIT TO GO again.

i am glad though we are having a good discussion so for.

for grins.. what if the board was put in charge of hosting the race. they decided the lake. they set it up. do all the prep work. and ask a club to run it? would that work out better than putting all the burden on the club?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the IMPBA could put a survey that is required before you become a member for the upcomming year, before you set up the table for dinner,cook a roast and nobody shows up !

At least you would have some membership feedback to make a decision.

It is 2015, an e-mail or some type of electronic survey has to be possible.

Speaking of pop ups, how about the IMPBA survey on IW before you can log on.......

I would suggest that everyone look at the other RC hobbies (cars, helicopters, etc.) out there and use that as a blueprint going forward. The RC car racing grew in leaps and bounds and the cost to get involved in that is not much less than it is for boats.

The real elephant in the room is that those RC national events award winners prizes/ trophies/ money/ sponsorships, some contestants are sponsored, some not and they draw unbeleivable numbers of entries, with deep racing within each class.

Like I said the blueprint is there, why try to re-invent the wheel.

Flame suit on...popcorn popped...beer in hand.

By the way there is a similiar thread on JRCBD being discussed as well.

no flame suit needed.

i agree.. the difference between boats and cars though is huge.. you can go get a car at any hobby shop or internet place in the usa. take it out of the box. charge or fuel it up and go hit a curb. boats.. not so much. that is what makes it tough and why the boating community is a nitche. not as excess able to do

i would agree the membership needs more voice. specially on a event that in all honesty needs all the help it can get. i still think that it would be best if the IMPBA put on the internats and not a host club. if i am not mistaken ( mike z or someone correct me ) the ama puts on there own events. and look at the draw they get.. i realize it is apples and oranges but the concept works the same.

I think the real issue lies in club burden. mikey schindler said it clear as day. evansville probably won't host another one. they are burn't of it. so there goes yet another great place that won't happen there. i think that is the board would take charge of it. take burden off the clubs. it might make things better in the long run.

if someone has a idea. and don't feel comfortable posting here.. pm me.. i am game and i guess if need be i will try to take the bull by the horns and do what i can.

chris

There was supposed to be a race this weekend in Andersonville, cancelled last night due to lack of interest. Fewer than 20 drivers, I don't understand myself. I live a couple of hours away and have no problem driving as may as 4-5 hours for a good event. I find it interesting that there is a strong group of car guys around here and not one other r/c boater I can find. None. Not sure why that is except cars are just easier to deal with, a track is available and when they tear one up they just drop it off at the local hobby shop for repair. All my race boats for now are nitro and I plan to add a gas boat to the fleet but will still race my nitro motors as long as I can find a place to race them. Numbers seem to be off everywhere no matter the vehicle. Warbird event around the southeast are struggling to draw 20 pilots in most places and a few clubs have just quit holding them. Pattern contests aren't pulling more than 20-25 pilots either and often no more than 15 but some of the club racing is doing ok. It seems as though people just don't want to travel these days. I guess it is just one of the low points we go through at times, I hope it comes around soon. I was looking forward to some racing this weekend, guess I'll wait until August for the next one.

Rick H.

I completely understand what Mike S. is saying about hosting another Internats or Nitro Nats. The Charleston club hosted the 2012 Internats, the 2013 Gas Nats and are trying the 2015 Nitro Nats. That would complete the race triad. It is also unlikely the Charleston will offer to host either of them again. I am completely burned out and the coordination for all 3 races are solely upon my shoulders.

For those that want the Internats again, where the dickens were you in 2012? It was poorly attended. And now the upcoming Nitro Nats is in REAL jeopardy of being canceled. Unless we get to the 140+ entries within 2 to 2.5 weeks, it will be done. If you are on the fence, enter real soon or it may not happen. The 2012 Internats race was in early June and some complained that it was before schools were out. So this year we backed it up to end of June. Others said that the Internats were too long so we going with the Nitro Nats race that is half the length of the Internats. We listened on both counts and VERY FEW have entered, especially the ones that complained 3 years ago.

You all may rest assured that there are few clubs that are willing to host any of the 3 races and it is shrinking. For those that are, SUPPORT them, or see them die. The future of these races rest entirely upon each of you, not the host club.

I wish the interest for these races were the same as the Fall Nationals we host. The race in 2014 sold out in 1.5 hours. The race in 2013 sold out in 2 hours. And it is a 3 day race and is exceptionally competitive. The 2015 Fall Nats should follow suit.

Now the question begs to be asked, What are YOU going to do about the race next month and then the bigger picture, the bigger races and their survival? Just asking.

I am returning to the hobby after 20 years and never went to the Nationals when I was racing back then. frankly because I was no competition for that level. With that said I have no preconceived ideas. How would it be if the regional nats would get a select number of qualifiers for a US1 nationals and they would get say entry waved. Everyone else is welcome to enter. That gives some incentive to go to the closest regional event. Also get them some award to be proud of at the national event when they get there like a flag to hang by their pit area. Also make it prestigious to hold the event for a club. Again give them something to show at all races they go to to get other clubs excited about hosting such an event. I also think the expense is a major factor for a complete week but if you make of value people will budget for it. The responsibility for the raced maybe could be spread out through the host district.

I completely understand what Mike S. is saying about hosting another Internats or Nitro Nats. The Charleston club hosted the 2012 Internats, the 2013 Gas Nats and are trying the 2015 Nitro Nats. That would complete the race triad. It is also unlikely the Charleston will offer to host either of them again. I am completely burned out and the coordination for all 3 races are solely upon my shoulders.

For those that want the Internats again, where the dickens were you in 2012? It was poorly attended. And now the upcoming Nitro Nats is in REAL jeopardy of being canceled. Unless we get to the 140+ entries within 2 to 2.5 weeks, it will be done. If you are on the fence, enter real soon or it may not happen. The 2012 Internats race was in early June and some complained that it was before schools were out. So this year we backed it up to end of June. Others said that the Internats were too long so we going with the Nitro Nats race that is half the length of the Internats. We listened on both counts and VERY FEW have entered, especially the ones that complained 3 years ago.

You all may rest assured that there are few clubs that are willing to host any of the 3 races and it is shrinking. For those that are, SUPPORT them, or see them die. The future of these races rest entirely upon each of you, not the host club.

I wish the interest for these races were the same as the Fall Nationals we host. The race in 2014 sold out in 1.5 hours. The race in 2013 sold out in 2 hours. And it is a 3 day race and is exceptionally competitive. The 2015 Fall Nats should follow suit.

Now the question begs to be asked, What are YOU going to do about the race next month and then the bigger picture, the bigger races and their survival? Just asking.
Evansville IN hosted the nitro nats last year... I didn't see very many people from the south if any at all... where were you last year? I'm assuming most couldn't justify a week off work over 8 hour drive to the race just to heat race.... Same reason why most people on this thread wont attend this year, long drive time off work and to only heat race against the same amount of boats we have at a 2 day weekend race in the Midwest.. The only way I could justify driving 14 hours to Charleston sc to race model boats is if the entries were high and US1 were on the table. Not trying to step on anyone's toes but it seems pretty clear racers are not going to travel long distances take a week off work just to heat race.

Last edited by a moderator:
John

Don't think you can compare races like the Fall, Spring and Northern Nats to the Internats simply because they offer Nitro and gas classes.

And people keep saying it's to far to drive for only a heat race yet the Fall Nats has people coming from everywhere year afteryear

John

Don't think you can compare races like the Fall, Spring and Northern Nats to the Internats simply because they offer Nitro and gas classes.

And people keep saying it's to far to drive for only a heat race yet the Fall Nats has people coming from everywhere year afteryear
fall nats don't require a week off work either its more justifiable because of high entries and only 3 days.

again lets try to keep this on pace.. we all know various reasons why people won't do this or that.. WHAT CAN WE DO TO FIX IT!

Latest posts

Back