thunder tiger mods

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
x637 prop for sure if you have the 1.04:1 gear ratio...from what you explained... the engine is strating to build good temp and wants to burn more fuel.. like stated above,,richen that needle up.... if when you start the engine,,and you hit the throttle for the first time it hits the water,,, and it takes off like a scalded cat at full rpm,, you know right there its to lean...its should be some what un-responsive as far as throttle taking a minute to clean out.. then when the temps increase,,and it wants to burn that needed fuel.. its there for it to lunch on.....take your water cooling completely off if you havnt.... run a hot plug,,i prefer the k&b 1L in the tt..

as far as the prop freeing up in the corners,.,, be sure your transom is square to your ride surface... sounds like pin inclination,,but,, if its stock thats not possible unless the transom is not squared to the ride surface......

alden

I heard the only way you can get a TT to get that kinda speed is too run a O.S. 20J .LOL Or they just will not run right!!
Not entirely correct in my opinion. I never ran an OS carb on any of my TT's. Jerry was a big fan of the OS carb because it was easier to tune but that doesn't mean the original carb can't be used.

Rene,

Try turning the low speed needle in the throttle arm side of the carb anti-clockwise to richen the low end a little. if it won't idle, increase the idle trim a little. It should hesitate out of the water a little when opening the throttle to wide open from idle, if it doesn't - the low speed is too lean.

I've never had much success with OS #8 plugs also reccomend putting an Octura X637 prop on it and using a K&B 1L, Mccoy MC59 or O'Donnell OD77 glow plug.

You may also find a more consistent needle if you put a 2oz. tank in between the main tank and the carb (a header tank).

Hope this helps,

Tim

i have to agree with tim on that..the 20j is mainly for ease of tuning...the tt carb works,,its just got a finicky needle...the newer run of tt carb is just as good as the 20j,,,if not better....

alden

i have to agree with tim on that..the 20j is mainly for ease of tuning...the tt carb works,,its just got a finicky needle...the newer run of tt carb is just as good as the 20j,,,if not better....

alden
My stock TT on my Falcon hull with original hull was easy to tune but I just didn't know how to setup a tunnel at the time .... I then took Direction from Grandfather and Father (Jerry & Alden) and they got my Tt screaming! !!! Now I have this beatle bomb thing that a I need to get setup!!!!!

Yeah I know guys I run the stock carb I was just making fun of the carb issue. Rember the skit that some one came up with. With the robots. Now that was funny.

lol...that was funny,..i have to say...and jerry laughed his butt off about that...

run that dam thing kevin..you will like it..lol..son...lol...

lol...that was funny,..i have to say...and jerry laughed his butt off about that...

run that dam thing kevin..you will like it..lol..son...lol...
I forgot to mention the God father, Tim D. :) ! I probably could run it with all the guys falling through the ice making open water! !!!!

You'll like the BXR conversion, it's a great powerhead swap. My one was a beast with a short pipe. Did Alden fix up the timing on it for you?

Sure did tim,, she's the twin to your old engine..speaking of the old girl,,,she still runs just like the day i got it from you..

now kev just needs to fire that thing...lol...ice,,,oh man send some this way...im so ready to make some passes on the sleds,,its just been to dang warm around here...

Hey guys just chasing a few little tips. I have 2 stock tt o/b. running 30% nitro 18% oil. no.6 plug. what is an ideal head clearance? can i just remove shim? should i run water or no water? dont have temp gauge so ive been abit timid in trying things. down the track can i run a pipe without changing the port?? thanks in advance

Dyl

Dylan, what I personally have found to work best on the nitro percentage that you are running, is to run a head button with .17cc total volume, 3* squish angle and .008 clearance. You can tighten up the clearance, but it just makes it harder on plugs.

My buddy Marty Slater has one that old JW did a head button for, and THATS IT. And it runs darn good on 15% nitro. I mean, good enough it makes me scratch my head as to why I did further mods to mine, and why I run 50%. :lol: :lol:

i totally agree with rodney on this........... i would personally run no water to the powerhead or pinch it down alot.... you can solder the outlet nipple closed and drill a small hole through the solder to restrict the water...... would also recommend running hot plugs... im not familiar with the #6 plugs....... i run k&b 1L's in everything i own.....

you can pull the shim,,,they are hard to see in there,,,,typically they are aluminum and seem to be part of the button,,,but i assure you they are there if its never been messed with...

if and when you decide to pipe it,,be aware the lower will need to be cut out in the factory muffler section..... also,, i dont recommend a pipe without a sleeve timing change..... if you plan on not playing with timing,,,leave the muffler and run it... it will go just fine....

My valid opinion as I run both OS xm stock and TT stock apart from a spp pipe. The TT is an ABC engine so it will outlast the OS by miles, the TT is very easy to tune just follow the instructions for the low speed needle and never touch it again and for the hsn this motor seems to love being feed more fuel. I run a 38mm prop on the OS and a x642 on the TT and the TT hauls pushing a heavier hull. I love my OS but honestly have found the TT to be a better overall engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
my valid opinion i run both os xm stock and TT stock apart from a spp pipe. The TT is an ABC engine so it will outlast the os by miles, the TT is very easy to tune follow instrustions for the low speed needle and never touch it again as for hsn the motor seems to love being feed more fuel. I run a 38mm prop on the OS and a x642 on the TT and the TT hauls pushing a heavier hull. I love my OS but honestly have found the TT to be a better overall engine.

welcome to the tt crew.... :lol: .... glad to see they are getting used more and more........

alden

Thanks camaroboy383 go the TT have read many posts over the years from all the TT fans including the legend Jerry Wyss's amazing work with the TT. I run a stock engine as posted above with the TD21 spp X642 and have a very reliable, fast boat that blows all OS and mac outboards in my club away week after week including my own OS lol.

Hey guys sorry didn't introduce myself before my name is Hayden im in australia and just became a member here a couple of days ago. I'am a tunnel hull guy as that's all I run. Yes a very big TT fan I agree with all the guys shut down your water cooling outlet line to just a pin hole size, I use the little plastic tube's you get with you corrision spray tins and cut a length of that off then glue inside a piece of fuel line, works great. I don't have any video to add but this is our club webpage www.tmpbcinc.com just click on video gallery then click on Ben's spin out that will open up another page of video's there is a video of my red TS3 stock TT would love to here what you guys think of my setup running 30% nitro. :)

Hey guys sorry didn't introduce myself before my name is Hayden im in australia just became a member here a couple of days ago, very much a tunnel hull guy as that's all i run.
Hayden,

What part of Oz are you from.

Tim.

Ok guys i edited that website address, it's right now sorry. Tim i'm in Townsville mate with old dave kingston.

Back