thunder tiger mods

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
h. Adjustable mixture controls will be allowed, however the original

needle valve must remain in its original position.

Lance, toss your factory TT carb on there, just put an after market needle (IE mixture control device) in line with the fuel supply. Open the factory needle all the way up (so it doesnt have anything to do with adjusting the fuel flow) and you will be good to go. Much less finicky to adjust and needle in, and your within the IMPBA Sport B mod tunnel rules. Then when you wax em with the TT carb, you can just smile :D

Yep, any motor mount goes. I was just pointing out the carb deal. Even though its legal on the OS, it cant (or is not supposed to be) be used on the TT since it didnt come from the factory like that. The needle issue is also very easy to overcome. Just like Rodney suggested.

I dont think many folks say the TT 'sucks', but it generally takes a fair amount of work to get them going good. We have a guy in our club running one with a pipe, and some JW mods, and it works very well. If it works for you, by all means continue on. The OS is just (typically) an easier motor to get running the same speed or faster. To be perfectly honest, a 47-48mph sport boat would get smoked down here in the south. These guys down here have some ridiculously fast OS's, all legal within IMPBA sport rules. 6-8 years ago, 47-48 would easily be out front compared to other sport boats. Not the case nowadays.

Ask any tunnel boater who is not from the south, that has been to a World Tunnel champs about the 'local' sport boats down here. They are quick, and 99% of them are OS, so thats what we run in order to have a more level playing field.

When I lived and raced in Europe, the OS was a minority. It was mostly TT's (the bandit) and old K&B's.

~ James

By all means Lance put the newer TT O/B carb on there and re-adjust. I like the new carb, I put one on that engine I put together for that guy in Mississippi and it ran a little better than yours did :D :lol:

To be perfectly honest, a 47-48mph sport boat would get smoked down here in the south. These guys down here have some ridiculously fast OS's, all legal within IMPBA sport rules. 6-8 years ago, 47-48 would easily be out front compared to other sport boats. Not the case nowadays.

~ James

But James, he with the fastest boat does not always win :D Especially when its lying upside down in turn 4......

All I ever ment to say is that the motor (TT) is not legal with the carb (OS) in a IMPBA sport 20 tunnel class.

It's in black and white in James post under engine specifications #3. Thanks James.

With all being said let's have some fun at the next race! :p

But James, he with the fastest boat does not always win :D Especially when its lying upside down in turn 4......
Thats true many times, but these guys have it figured out. Once you get out front, you dont need to run that fast. Clean water is where its at, and if you are not in the lead, you dont have clean water. To get in the lead quickly, you need speed, and great starts. There are a handful of guys who have both of those down to a science.

Its like playing poker, it takes only a short time to learn the game, but it takes a lifetime to master. Same with Tunnel boats.

My point with the speed thing is that an OS out of the box with the head shim removed will run as fast as, and typically faster than a seriously modded TT or K&B for that matter with a fairly easy amount of set-up time. Its a no brainer for most, but there are plenty of guys who like running the 'under dog' engines. I can totally respect that. Heck, I ran K&B's for years....nuff said. :D

Bottom line? Pound for pound, dollar for dollar the OS is hands down the best available Sport engine.

Imho of course.

~ James

Thats true many times, but these guys have it figured out. Once you get out front, you dont need to run that fast. Clean water is where its at, and if you are not in the lead, you dont have clean water. To get in the lead quickly, you need speed, and great starts. There are a handful of guys who have both of those down to a science.

Its like playing poker, it takes only a short time to learn the game, but it takes a lifetime to master. Same with Tunnel boats.

My point with the speed thing is that an OS out of the box with the head shim removed will run as fast as, and typically faster than a seriously modded TT or K&B for that matter with a fairly easy amount of set-up time. Its a no brainer for most, but there are plenty of guys who like running the 'under dog' engines. I can totally respect that. Heck, I ran K&B's for years....nuff said. :D

Bottom line? Pound for pound, dollar for dollar the OS is hands down the best available Sport engine.

Imho of course.

~ James
You got me James... LOL I know the game but not even close to mastering it....... Maybe some day I can!!!! I need a winter job and take the sumer off so I can focus on it!!!

Imho of course.

~ James
You got me James... LOL I know the game but not even close to mastering it....... Maybe some day I can!!!! I need a winter job and take the sumer off so I can focus on it!!!
I proved my point yesterday:( To afraid to hold her down in the corners....... I will learn:)

Hello all,

First of all à happy new year to all of you.

I have à question about à TT 3.5 cc ob. I'm not sure if I post these in the right forum but here is à lot of TT knowledge. So perhaps someone can help me.

Since à couple of months I have this motor running in à TT Bandit II. Very nice combination, but I still have a problem running this machine full throttle.

To get more power I removed the shim and changed the cooling so the motor gets à higher temperature. And indeed the machine has more power then before. The problem is after one minute full throttle the machine nearly stops. Only taking the throttle stick down saves him from dying. Then after 20 or 30 seconds full throttle same happends again.

Other question. Turning the boat the machine gets a higher RPM. Is this normal behaviour for à hull? It should be nice to get that speed al the way.

I'm running à stock prop Prather 215 and glowplug OS #8 .

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm going to open the needle à bit more next time.

About the higher RPM's while cornering is that also à result off à to lean needle?

higher rpm while cornering just means your unloading the prop in the corners. Start creeping the motor height down a little bit at a time until you find that it stays hooked up in the corners.

I heard the only way you can get a TT to get that kinda speed is too run a O.S. 20J .LOL Or they just will not run right!!

Last edited by a moderator:
What would you guess your speed is now??? I would maybe say raise the prop and switching to a 637. Remove all cooling and fatten the police needle. Sounds like your not hitting the pipe ....

Kevin, I doubt this is a piped TT.... Im betting its stock.
Its à stock engine only removed the shim and raised his temperature. I'm à beginner...

Next week I have temp. meter. I don't now the speed and don't have much experience with guessing speed.

i'm going to play with the needle again.

Thx all for your response.

Latest posts

Back