The Boat Formerly Known As Project 'Hydro-plow'

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re:project 'Hydro-therapy'

Propjockey! Looking good! I really like your tank.

What is the in the tub between the engine in the bow. Is is packed with foam? How are you going to mount you booms?

Need some ideas, thanks

Hammer

Thanks Hammer. The space in front of the engine is the original location for the fuel tank--but only a 2 oz would fit. So I stuffed the space full of styro-foam and sealed it up. I built twin tanks (2.1 oz each) that sit directly on the balance point.

No booms. Aluminum angle for the sponsons. There are pics of them on page one. Probably not the best way to mount the sponsons, but that's how the kit was designed.

Oh! I saw those. They will work for now, but I would try to think of some way to put booms on it later. They will have less drag.

Hammer

Laid the paint down! I wanted to wait 'till I got it all together before I posted pics, but what the heck!

Gotta love flames.........!

(my cam is acting goofy--it looks better than the pic shows)

BTW Hammer...this is the shaft oiler. Brass tubing bent and soldered to the stuffing tube.

Nice looking flames there, I think I need flames just to get that last little bit of speed out of it. Whatcha got left to do?

-MikeP

Mike, paint was the last major hurdle. All I have to do now is put it all together. I know that sounds like a lot, but it's not. The hardware is polished and ready, radio gear and linkages are planned out and fitted, pretty much just set everything in place and tighten the screws.

I still need a prop.

wow, i take back what i said 'bout the colors.....lookin' great!! i really like the shaft oiler idea... might try that myself if i get the chance. if i remember correctly from the first pics i saw, you're using metal plates to fix the sponsons to the main body instead of booms- is that still the plan?

Joe

wow, i take back what i said 'bout the colors.....lookin' great!! i really like the shaft oiler idea... might try that myself if i get the chance. if i remember correctly from the first pics i saw, you're using metal plates to fix the sponsons to the main body instead of booms- is that still the plan?

Joe

Thanks Don, Joe, Mike, and everybody else.

Yup, that's the plan. Aluminum angle. I might try Hammer's idea of CF booms later, but that would require more reconstructive surgery than I want to mess with. Right now I just want to get it in the water.

hey,

whatever works! aluminum angles sounds like a very secure way to hold 'em on and in the right place... easier to install too. how far out from the main body are you putting them?

joe

I copied your scheme on one of the Hammerheads I just painted. I wish I had a pic of it. My hand are still purple and yellow, though.

Looking good. Are you getting excited yet? :eek:

Hammer
HANDS.jpg

id do the same if i had the time/paint to do it.....although something tells me confederate flag decals wouldnt go well on purple and yellow!! ;D

hammer, how many Project Speed Hammerheads did you make?

Joe

Hey Lax! I made 3 total. One for me, and 2 for a hobby shop in Kamakura. They are already spoken for.Will sell them RTR for 600 bucks each. Including O.S TR silver case. Futaba Megatech racers and S3101 and s3102s.

I think that is a pretty good price.

Hammer

Thanks Hammer! How's that saying go? "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" Something like that. Anyways, bring on the pics, Dude! (And use latex gloves when you paint! ;) )

Joe, the Stars and Bars of Dixie look good on anything! ;D

Propjockey,

if ya say sooo.......... :p ...... ;D ;D ;D

i just dont wanna get ejected from a race on the grounds that my paint job is ugly as sin and sincerely lacking in taste.

hammer,

sounds like a decent price to me, especially since i've watched [or rather, seen through your posts] the effort and highest quality materials going into the things. im not really in a position to be buying an AB class rigger though, i've already got one and im working on another!! 8)

lucky guys that go into that hobby shop looking for a cool way to spend a day at the lake and come out with one of your Hammerhead Project Speeds!!

Joe

Joe, the idea is to go so fast, they can't SEE the paint job!! ;D ;D

Back