Super Charged .21

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not have a specific date. I am not going to get in a hurry now. I am working on the dyno and trying to build some boats to play with at the same time.

The major parts of the dyno have been tested individually but not as a unit. What you see is the mechanical and electrical parts. I have bought a new laptop computer to run the programs that are necessary to make it work. I still have to purchase the software and mount all of the sensors. Then is when the fun really begins with learning the software, getting the bugs out of everything and get it calibrated. It is a fun project.

Charles

That will be a fun toy to play with.

Yes inertial pulls and steady load test differences will be nice to see on the same Eng set up.

Loading a Eng at RPM and pulling up a mass will show two different things in the Eng design.

Tuned many a hydraulic systems in my day. I was a airel lift mechanic for 30 years.

Wold use a flow meter and pressure gage set up along with a tac on the Eng to test pump efficiency and Eng power.

Learned allot on Eng power bands doing this. can the Eng hold RPM at a set load so the pump could supply the system.

Kinda like a prop in water same dynamics.

That is the problem with most Dino's thy can only simulate one thing. your set up will be the best of both worlds. inertia wheel and load variation at the same time WOW.

you can use the wheel and change load at the same time doing part throttle runs up and down.

Dang sounds like fun. enjoy

David

David, running both test at the same time is doable but not practical. Each test type run with the other, torque and inertia or inertia and torque, would effect the results of the other test if they are ran at the same time. Just being able to run the test back-to-back will make it a great learning tool.

Charles

Charles

If you are using Performance Trends software & sensors, get an optical rpm sensor. Their standard sensor is a magnetic reed switch and it's sensitive to vibration at high rpm. Their standard software goes to 32,000 rpm but they are talking about higher limits. If you need more, ask them. We use one of their old units and I just investigated upgrading our dyno. When that happens, I hope for more precision and less run to run variation. Currently I average 3 back to back runs in Excel to improve the results. Be sure to get their professional software. the graphing capability alone is worth it.

Lohring Miller

Mr. Charles,

There is a phenomenon that is present when dyno testing single cylinder two stroke engines. Between each compression, firing event, there is a measurable drop in the instantaneous crankshaft torque & RPM. The crankshaft is accelerated after combustion, then begins to slow down until combustion takes place again. A flywheels inertia will dampen some of this, but not totally eliminate it. You cannot hear or see this, even when using a tach that reads each revolution up to 50,000 RPM & a calibrated load cell. But, by using a very fast data aquistion system that can read each firing cycle, multiple times, there will be enough data recorded to "average out" this phenomenon.

Jim Allen

Thanks Mr. Jim, I will keep this in mind. I will also check and see what the refreshment rate of the aquistion system is.

Charles

David, I have figured out WHY it started and ran. Have you? For a small fee, I will tell you. I will give you a clue, it will not work on all engines.

Charles

Nah, guess again. The six pack can cause a lot of things, but not the engine starting without an intake valve.

:)

:) :) Charles

Last edited by a moderator:
Back