Outboard Tunnel Racing Pictures from the past to the present!!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron I have a lot of pic's its going to take some time looking for them,but I did come across this one in my garage. from right to left. Jimmy Johnson, Friday shacklefort. he was so much fun to race with, if you get him mad he will run you into the shore lol! then we have Eric Mcnair, Doug DeWitte. With his back turned is Ken, I forget his last name, someone might chime in on that. And Chris Wittrig I think? I have not seen my old friend in forever lol
Yep...that's me at the CD table.

Yes, there is a lot of talent in District 12, that's for sure. Did you see the younger and slimmer pic of Dick Tyndall, (..ok both of us were younger and slimmer!!!..... ;) ), handing me a trophy at the ODMBA race in the early 90's? How about Mike Saleeby? What ever happened to him? I was going to ask Steve about him and forgot.

Ron,

Where is that pic from the early 90s'? I started racing with the ODMBA gang as a club member in 1991 until I moved to Charleston in 1995. Would be interested in seeing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there is a lot of talent in District 12, that's for sure. Did you see the younger and slimmer pic of Dick Tyndall, (..ok both of us were younger and slimmer!!!..... ;) ), handing me a trophy at the ODMBA race in the early 90's? How about Mike Saleeby? What ever happened to him? I was going to ask Steve about him and forgot.

Ron,

Where is that pic from the early 90s'? I started racing with the ODMBA gang as a club member in 1991 until I moved to Charleston in 1995. Would be interested in seeing it.

John,

I am at the beach and can't post the pic from my iPad, but below is the link to the pic in my gallery. I have several pictures from that race I can post later. Maybe you were there too. The ODMBA brought in a flat bed for the drivers stand. All of the mono guys were there including Jim Squires, Tyndall, John Finch, and others. I had just built a 60 mono and I won first overall by passing Squires on the last lap of the final heat. I think I ended up second with a 60 hydro, Sprint Cat. I looked over those pics to find this one of Dick and I, and noticed Chris Carver was there also with a fleet of Aeromarine hulls. Do you remember this race? Looking at the time frames you would have probably still been in Virginia....... ;)

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?app=gallery&image=7431

Ron,

John,

I am at the beach and can't post the pic from my iPad, but below is the link to the pic in my gallery. I have several pictures from that race I can post later. Maybe you were there too. The ODMBA brought in a flat bed for the drivers stand. All of the mono guys were there including Jim Squires, Tyndall, John Finch, and others. I had just built a 60 mono and I won first overall by passing Squires on the last lap of the final heat. I think I ended up second with a 60 hydro, Sprint Cat. I looked over those pics to find this one of Dick and I, and noticed Chris Carver was there also with a fleet of Aeromarine hulls. Do you remember this race? Looking at the time frames you would have probably still been in Virginia....... ;)

http://www.intlwater...lery&image=7431

I starting racing with ODMBA in August 1991 and raced in '92, '93' & '94 before I moved to Charleston in '95. I never recall using a flatbed trailer there. Maybe it was the '90 race. I remember all of the guys in the early days. John Bonnono, Dickie and Finch were my mentors and taught me much. I do remember you at a race or two.

I remember the 2004 Legg Lake Nationals. I think I got 6th in 7.5 Stock tunnel. I never could do well against the West Coast drivers. That looks like one of our epoxy/glass XT-460s at the far left in the picture. One year you and the Seismic Race Team were our biggest customers. That was before the Aftershock tunnel. Jimmy's (the convict in the middle) father dominated several of the 7.5 OPC Tunnel heats this year with an Aftershock painted like his full scale boat. Only bad luck prevented a win. He was third in B Mod with an Aftershock in Seismic colors.

Lohring Miller

Last edited:
In Chris' posts here is some descriptions...The first set is Chris' 40 mod Aftershock/Rossi, Topspeed 2x or 3 20 sport, and the last is the '04 NAMBA NATS top 3 in B-opc (stock) tunnel. Yes, the convict in the center is me and my Aftershock, standing with David Solway 2nd and Tony Rhodes 3rd. The second is also at the '04 nats is my oldest son Austin and Nicolle and Megan Wittrig (they look so young!). The last set is an outboard race at Prado Dam, Ca. The blue Dumas is Chris' A-opc that he got from George Whitman,his B-opc B&M Leecraft, My B-opc HTB 360(blu/blk/wht #158} , Dad's B-opc B&M Lee Craft(blu/yel/blk), Dad's primered Dumas, and an un-rigged B&M Leecraft.

Jimmy Johnson

Cool pics!! Love the last pic (bottom photo)...Spitfires!! I am currently converting one from nitro to FE! Absolutely loved the way mine ran!

Good stuff here! :D

-Kent

Guys theres a old xt-120 on ebay right now if anyone is interested.
Guys...there are two old XT0-120's, two Top Speed 2's, a Maus 40 Tunnel, Dumas Hot Shot (the one in Nicolle's picture), and a Seaducer 20 Tunnel (that's right) in my eAttic piled up with about four other boats if anybody's interested. Sure would make my wife happy! :p

here's some vintage photo's.

OMG!!! Outboard Hydros!!! I used to run a Sundowner 3.5 OH in the early 90's. Had Joe Monohans exhaust throttle and the Equi Pipe. Throttle leaked some but WOW the darn boat was soooooooooo fast!!!!!! I think we should launch this class in IMPBA!!! No need to allow NAMBA to have all the fun. Just another outboard class for us to run!!!.... ;)

Guys theres a old xt-120 on ebay right now if anyone is interested.
Guys...there are two old XT0-120's, two Top Speed 2's, a Maus 40 Tunnel, Dumas Hot Shot (the one in Nicolle's picture), and a Seaducer 20 Tunnel (that's right) in my eAttic piled up with about four other boats if anybody's interested. Sure would make my wife happy! :p

Chris,

I have been looking for the old XT120's. I would love to take them off your hands!!!!!!

Here is a pic of me running against Karl Sturm at the Atlanta Spring Nationals around 1990. He was one of the best tunnel drivers I have ever raced against!!!!..... :D

look at the hair on Ron :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back