Outboard Tunnel Racing Pictures from the past to the present!!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonShaw

Vendor
I was posting some of my older pictures to clarify one of Tommy Lee's older LeeCraft Tunnels and thought it would be a lot of fun for us all to share some of our older and newer racing pictures with everyone. I will start this thread with an older picture from I believe the 89' Greenville, SC Race. It shows Tommy Lee with his wife Beth calling for him. Standing next in line you will see Mike Talley, with his brother Ron calling for him. If you look all the way on the other end you will see John Otto, another great tunnel champion, racing his new Trophy Tunnel. John can clarify as the beard is missing, but I believe that is Karl Sturm, one of the best tunnel drivers I have ever raced against, standing beside of him and racing in the same heat. Enjoy........ ;)

Tommy Lee with his wife calling for him at I think the Greenville, SC Race.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I was posting some of my older pictures to clarify one of Tommy Lee's older LeeCraft Tunnels and thought it would be a lot of fun for us all to share some of our older and newer racing pictures with everyone. I will start this thread with an older picture from I believe the 89' Greenville, SC Race. It shows Tommy Lee with his wife calling for him. If you look all the way on the other end you will see John Otto, another great tunnel champion. John can clarify as the beard is missing, but I believe that is Karl Sturm, one of the best tunnel drivers I have ever raced against, calling for him. Enjoy........ ;)
Is the third guy in from the right side Andy Smith? I talk to him from time to time down here.

Mic

I was posting some of my older pictures to clarify one of Tommy Lee's older LeeCraft Tunnels and thought it would be a lot of fun for us all to share some of our older and newer racing pictures with everyone. I will start this thread with an older picture from I believe the 89' Greenville, SC Race. It shows Tommy Lee with his wife calling for him. If you look all the way on the other end you will see John Otto, another great tunnel champion. John can clarify as the beard is missing, but I believe that is Karl Sturm, one of the best tunnel drivers I have ever raced against, calling for him. Enjoy........ ;)
Is the third guy in from the right side Andy Smith? I talk to him from time to time down here.

Mic
I'm not sure Mic. I bet John Otto can tell us.

Not a racing pic, but an old school LeeCraft. Boat is still pristine after all these years.

DSCN1581.JPG

That is the original LeeCraft 20? Has it ever been built? Can't tell from that angle.

Here is a pic of me running against Karl Sturm at the Atlanta Spring Nationals around 1990. He was one of the best tunnel drivers I have ever raced against!!!!..... :D

Ron Shaw and Karl Sturm in Atlanta Spring Nationals.JPG

Will do, Alfred was not in our District, he is in District 9, we are in 19 Mark Grim, Tony Rhodes, Joe Monohan, Jimmy, Bobby Tom,Byron Hamilton And a bunch of others. I will dig some up.

That would be awesome. Joe Monohan, (707 Specialties), is a long time tunnel racer and is in the NAMBA Hall of Fame, with some of the other names you mentioned. I was happy to find he was still in the hobby. He makes some of the best outboard accessories you can buy.

I would like to see if someone has pics from the 93 race I attended in PA. It was my first and only National race. I met John Garcia and Joe Monogan there, along with Remy Hayes from Areomarine, and many others. I also made the infamous "Island Run". I will be waiting to see those pics!! Thanks.

Ron I have a lot of pic's its going to take some time looking for them,but I did come across this one in my garage. from right to left. Jimmy Johnson, Friday shacklefort. he was so much fun to race with, if you get him mad he will run you into the shore lol! then we have Eric Mcnair, Doug DeWitte. With his back turned is Ken, I forget his last name, someone might chime in on that. And Chris Wittrig I think? I have not seen my old friend in forever lol

DSC00060.JPG

Ron I have a lot of pic's its going to take some time looking for them,but I did come across this one in my garage. from right to left. Jimmy Johnson, Friday shacklefort. he was so much fun to race with, if you get him mad he will run you into the shore lol! then we have Eric Mcnair, Doug DeWitte. With his back turned is Ken, I forget his last name, someone might chime in on that. And Chris Wittrig I think? I have not seen my old friend in forever lol

Boy, thats a much YOUNGER version of JJ!!!....haha. He is getting old like the rest of us... ;)

Some old Leecraft pictures:

2002 NAMBA Nationals top 3; Frank Crockett, Dale Remero, Eric Bourlet

2003 NAMBA Nationals C tunnel top 3; Alfred Lanza, Lohring Miller, Tony Rhodes

Cathy Preuse the year she won her IMPBA District championship

Richard Hazelwood with the last XTR 120 to win at a NAMBA Nationals

Lohring Miller

That would be awesome. Joe Monohan, (707 Specialties), is a long time tunnel racer and is in the NAMBA Hall of Fame, with some of the other names you mentioned. I was happy to find he was still in the hobby. He makes some of the best outboard accessories you can buy.

I would like to see if someone has pics from the 93 race I attended in PA. It was my first and only National race. I met John Garcia and Joe Monogan there, along with Remy Hayes from Areomarine, and many others. I also made the infamous "Island Run". I will be waiting to see those pics!! Thanks.
I was at that '93 NAMBA Nat's race in Bristol!! I did not race but was there Sat and Sunday. I also met Remy and Lee Garcia and his teamate/pitgirl/daughter Pillar (still have one of his outboard pipes and one of his rare tunnels!) Those were definately LeeCraft years...totally dominant! Would also like to see pics from that race!!

-Kent

Some old Leecraft pictures:

2002 NAMBA Nationals top 3; Frank Crockett, Dale Remero, Eric Bourlet

2003 NAMBA Nationals C tunnel top 3; Alfred Lanza, Lohring Miller, Tony Rhodes

Cathy Preuse the year she won her IMPBA District championship

Richard Hazelwood with the last XTR 120 to win at a NAMBA Nationals

Lohring Miller

Lohring,

Those are great LeeCraft pictures. Looks like more of the Who's Who in tunnel racing. Thanks for sharing them with all of us!!!..... ;)

I was at that '93 NAMBA Nat's race in Bristol!! I did not race but was there Sat and Sunday. I also met Remy and Lee Garcia and his teamate/pitgirl/daughter Pillar (still have one of his outboard pipes and one of his rare tunnels!) Those were definately LeeCraft years...totally dominant! Would also like to see pics from that race!!

-Kent

Kent,

Thank for the message earlier. If you come up with pictures from that race I would really like to see them. Do you remember the island that if you circled, they would give you a patch or hat? After I won the B Tunnel Class, I headed straight to the island amongst many cheers from the crowd. You have to setup perfectly in the middle of the channel as it seems like ages before your boat comes out, (hopefully.... ;) ), on the other side. I searched for that patch/hat the other day. Lee Garcia was a trip. Its amazing how many "Legends" of our hobby were at that race, including the list you and I both remember, and many others. The event that stands out the most, was how my friend Steve Speas, (another District 12 Racer ;) ), swept ALL of the mono classes that year with I believe Twin Crafts. I dont think anyone else has ever accomplished that feat. I remember John Finch and many others being there as well. It was great seeing Steve a few weeks ago at your Centerville race and to see he was still a very strong contender in this hobby.

-Kent

Kent,

Thank for the message earlier. If you come up with pictures from that race I would really like to see them. Do you remember the island that if you circled, they would give you a patch or hat? After I won the B Tunnel Class, I headed straight to the island amongst many cheers from the crowd. You have to setup perfectly in the middle of the channel as it seems like ages before your boat comes out, (hopefully.... ;) ), on the other side. I searched for that patch/hat the other day. Lee Garcia was a trip. Its amazing how many "Legends" of our hobby were at that race, including the list you and I both remember, and many others. The event that stands out the most, was how my friend Steve Speas, (another District 12 Racer ;) ), swept ALL of the mono classes that year with IO believe Twin Crafts. I dont think anyone else has ever accomplished that feat. I remember John Finch and many others being there as well. It was great seeing Steve a few weeks ago at your Centerville race and to see he was still a very strong contender in this hobby.
I do remember the island you are talking about...I thought it was pretty much a joke when I heard someone talking about going around it...lol! Well, I guess you have done it! :D Yep, Lee was a trip...loved his O/B Cal Craft! Watched one of his very fast 20 riggers get cut right in half and drop right to the bottom of the lake...Doh! My buddies and I thought it was the coolest thing meeting and talking to all of those big name guys! Tommy Lee was there as well! Wish I had some pics to post Ron.....

It is great to have guys like Don Ferrette, Steve Speas, Don Sutton, John Finch, Dick Tyndall, Dick Loeb, James Beasley, Etc...in our Dist. They are all RC boat legends and it's great to be able to ask them for help with things! What a wealth of knowlege between all of those guys!!

-Kent

Yes, there is a lot of talent in District 12, that's for sure. Did you see the younger and slimmer pic of Dick Tyndall, (..ok both of us were younger and slimmer!!!..... ;) ), handing me a trophy at the ODMBA race in the early 90's? How about Mike Saleeby? What ever happened to him? I was going to ask Steve about him and forgot.

Latest posts

Back