2013 World OB Tunnel Champs Results

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Knight

The 2013 race was completed during most trying weather conditions. The weather system the east coast have been experiencing most of the week blew very heavy winds in from the offshore. The race lake is less than 15 miles from the Atlantic Ocean and the winds were blowing from that direction more every day. We got some light rain each day but the real heavy system and winds came in today. We ran 4 rounds Friday afternoon and yesterday and called it a race. In almost every heat less than half of the boats starting actually finished the heat. The 5th round is a bonus round on Sunday and the lake had heavy rollers and near whitecaps so racing would have been even worse, if at all. But in the end, we got it done and that is what counts!

We had a good time anyway and had many laughs and bets almost broke out on how many boats would come back in. A highlight was during the awards ceremony when the B Tunnel Champion, James Beasley, was given his award. He noted that he has never beaten John Otto. And he added that he has not beaten Shawn Junker, the builder of the Vision Craft tunnels either. He proceeded to run down the steps and launched himself off the boat dock into the lake in celebration. There were 2 water babies, Ryan Pacheco from Bermuda, and Stan Harrington from NC. They went voluntarily into the lake or Mitch Atwell Sr would assist them as needed. Some photos were taken so I hope that they will be posted by the photo takers.

I have uploaded the race results to rcracingevents under the Race Results, Charleston Model Boaters. Website is http://www.rcracingevents.com Disregard the 5th round of 0 scores for all. Many thanks for all of those that attended, were class sponsors and supporters of the race.

That was one of the funniest things I have ever seen! He came out of the water saying, I beat John Otto, I beat Randy Premo!. When he walked back up the stairs I noticed he still had his phone clipped to his belt, CLASSIC! Great job James!

Best water was today me george raced fe and Ryan dialed his 20 mod in , blistering fast !!! Too bad all you guys left!

It was a great time for sure. Thanks for the awards entertainment Beasley!!! The weather was tough but the fellowship and food were awesome, thanks to Deryl/JJ's perlo, Atwells deer sausage, Beasley's bratwurst, and the pizza and subs provided by the CMB. I am already looking forward to the Fall Nats..... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a blast this past week with all my friends... I won my first plaque ever in a World Tunnel (6th place) in Sport B and I am so happy!

I am sure the first few days of bad weather helped me a little. Since I pudder around the course and didn't flip my boat...however I did a fantastic "barrel roll" and continued to race. lol

For those of you who left because the race was canceled Sat morning by John Knight due to the "possible" weather for Sunday the water at the pond was the BEST all week. We had NO rain there until after 4pm and NO wind the entire day. The Atwell's, Shane, George, Ryan, Terry (all from Bermuda), Joe, Deryl and I stayed and played all day. I feel bad for all the racers that travel so far and spent the money for a 3 day race and they were not given the chance to wait it out and see how it would be Sunday. We all know that in South Carolina it can change from being windy with rain to sun in the drop of a hat.

Joe built one of his famous "bon fires" to show Timmy's family Sunday too. Priceless to see them laughing all weekend after losing Tim.

Besides that issue Tim Dean's family who flew all the way from California to watch the race wanted me to THANK everyone for making them feel so welcome and they now understand how the R/C Boating Family works. They had a blast. Check out my facebook page for the best video on the weekend.

Thanks to Ritchie and Margaux Corbin for getting us food for lunch each day. Special thanks to Randy Premo for helping with the CD responsibilities..it was fun working with you again.

And we all need to Thank Joe Tumbleson for letting us race on his beautiful pond.

Can't wait till the next race....jj

The 2013 race was completed during most trying weather conditions. The weather system the east coast have been experiencing most of the week blew very heavy winds in from the offshore. The race lake is less than 15 miles from the Atlantic Ocean and the winds were blowing from that direction more every day. We got some light rain each day but the real heavy system and winds came in today. We ran 4 rounds Friday afternoon and yesterday and called it a race. In almost every heat less than half of the boats starting actually finished the heat. The 5th round is a bonus round on Sunday and the lake had heavy rollers and near whitecaps so racing would have been even worse, if at all. But in the end, we got it done and that is what counts!

We had a good time anyway and had many laughs and bets almost broke out on how many boats would come back in. A highlight was during the awards ceremony when the B Tunnel Champion, James Beasley, was given his award. He noted that he has never beaten John Otto. And he added that he has not beaten Shawn Junker, the builder of the Vision Craft tunnels either. He proceeded to run down the steps and launched himself off the boat dock into the lake in celebration. There were 2 water babies, Ryan Pacheco from Bermuda, and Stan Harrington from NC. They went voluntarily into the lake or Mitch Atwell Sr would assist them as needed. Some photos were taken so I hope that they will be posted by the photo takers.

I have uploaded the race results to rcracingevents under the Race Results, Charleston Model Boaters. Website is http://www.rcracingevents.com Disregard the 5th round of 0 scores for all. Many thanks for all of those that attended, were class sponsors and supporters of the race.
The pond was the best it had been all week on Sunday..NO heavy rollers..or near whitecap....we were there all day running boats! You were not there. My opinion is the racers should have been given the choice to run or cancel on SUNDAY am..they are the ones who drove hundreds of miles and spent lots of money to come to the WTC race. I am not sure what IMPBA rules say about who makes the calls on when to cancel a race and send everyone home early but I would like someone to tell me. (We raced during a tropical storm last year at the nitro nats) And yes I am upset about this because as a racer who travelled and spent money to race and than had no say so in the matter that is not right. Randy Corbin said you and him made the call. Doesn't seem right to me. Sunday was beautiful weather wise. Poor judgement call!

Great time for sure great to meet Tims family and see all my boating family And the best weather was sunday for sure and John I dont rember seeing you at the pond sunday . As to what jj said I feel the same racers came a long way not to have a chance to run all 5 rounds Next time yall (CMB club members) should ask the racers what they won't to do WE PAID TO RACE 5 ROUNDS NOT TO BE TOLD THAT WE ARE ONLY GOING TO RUN 4 you should have asked us ( THE PAYING CUSTOMER what we wanted to do JUST MY 2 CENTS) Mitch Sr

I want to clarify that only two CMB club members made the call not to race Sunday..John and Randy..it was not discussed with the rest of us....we found out about it at the same time as the rest of the racers did. All of us wanted to race or at least wait till Sunday am to see what happens with the weather. jj

I want to clarify that only two CMB club members made the call not to race Sunday..John and Randy..it was not discussed with the rest of us....we found out about it at the same time as the rest of the racers did. All of us wanted to race or at least wait till Sunday am to see what happens with the weather. jj
Three OFFICERS of the CMB club, Randy, Rick and myself and Randy Premo, with Bob Kensil, the other primary CD's, made the decision. It was NOT mine alone. The other 2 club officers, Anthony and Richie, were spoken with once they arrived and concurred. The weather was checked, checked and rechecked no less than 6 times Saturday and it did not change. The common sense decision was to finish racing on Saturday and give the racers an opportunity to return home safely. Round 5 is always the bonus round and is run with time and weather permitting and it noted as such on the race entry details. Just live with the decision and move on.

Last year at the internats we had one day during the time trial portion that was a little windy but nothing else during the entire week.

On a better note . The entire Atwell clan wont to give a BIG THANKS TO JOSE YOU ARE THE MAN . ,In the same breath Randy and the rest of the Corbins thanks for all the help with the gas boat. congrats to all the winners. A BIG CONGRATS TO MY BERMUDAN BROTHER RAYAN ON HIS FIRST WIN .. JENI AND DAYRL YALL ARE ALWAYS THE BEST . Kevin lee for all the help with my boys boats . and to STAN THE MAN SIMPSON for that rocket ship of a 40 boat he built JR . ITS THE FASTEST 40 BOAT I HAVE EVER SEEN Hope everyone made it home safe look forward to next time (WEATER PERMETING )LOL Thanks again for a GREAT TIME Mitch SR

Three OFFICERS of the CMB club, Randy, Rick and myself and Randy Premo, with Bob Kensil, the other primary CD's, made the decision. It was NOT mine alone. The other 2 club officers, Anthony and Richie, were spoken with once they arrived and concurred. The weather was checked, checked and rechecked no less than 6 times Saturday and it did not change. The common sense decision was to finish racing on Saturday and give the racers an opportunity to return home safely. Round 5 is always the bonus round and is run with time and weather permitting and it noted as such on the race entry details. Just live with the decision and move on.

Last year at the internats we had one day during the time trial portion that was a little windy but nothing else during the entire week.
My question is why do the racers who spend all the time and money travelling to a race have no input in a decision and why would you make a "weather" decision 24 hours in advance when you all know how SC weather changes so fast from day to day. The majority of the racers who spoke to me would have loved to race a 5th round to improve their scores.

I still feel that you should leave that up to the ones who traveled HOURS to race not ones who live 15 MIN FROM THE POND . MITCH SR A VERY POOR DISSION iF YOU ASK ME WHITCH I KNOW YOU WON'T JENI THANKS FOR THINKING ABOUT THE RACERS AND NOT YOUR SELF LUV YA
- Mitch Sr..

YOU and only YOU made the decision to stop racing on Friday evening at 6. The plans were to run to 7 pm. Premo told me that YOU wanted to stop because people were tired and cold. You are NOT a club officer and you did not ask any race official for their input. I did not flame you so stop with your childish ways. I just moved on. I am done with this.

YOU and only YOU made the decision to stop racing on Friday evening at 6. The plans were to run to 7 pm. Premo told me that YOU wanted to stop because people were tired and cold. You are NOT a club officer and you did not ask any race official for their input. I did not flame you so stop with your childish ways. I just moved on. I am done with this.
What does Friday night have to do with cancelling the race Sunday? Just asking...

We were all beat up by the wind and it would have been nice to at least see if the weather might change. Now we have one report of white caps and another saying best water of the weekend?????

As for who runs the race, I have nothing but gratitude and respect for the CMB club for hosting the best OUTBOARD event on the planet. Then it becomes the chicken or the egg! Who built the race? CMB or the outboard racers? We need both. I get very frustrated many times at this race that decisions get made that are not what the racers want. We drive a long way and many miss work, besides spending time and money getting ready for the event. Not the first time I felt people who could drive home and sleep in their own beds made decisions too fast. I have a 10 hour drive home and after 4-5 days I don't care if I go home early on Sunday. I go to this race because of the competition and 5 rounds possible. To travel and get cut short by the weather is an excepted possibility. I just would like to see the racers get consideration and see what happens. We scratched a lot of boats we thought were out of the hunt for 4 rounds.

Enough drama! Congrats to all the winners and I hope the EPA won't fine you much for "Tunnel King James" hitting the pond. You did good and we salute you James.

Mic

I would like to thank the CMB club for hosting another great race. The weather made it hard on everybody, and they made a tough but safe decision. We, the Duncan clan, didn't have a problem with it. Yeah they could of waited until Sunday to see what the weather was gonna be like, but what do you do when the weather forecast says 15-20mph winds and 90% chance of rain. Harold and Corey were at the pond early Sunday morning getting there trailer, and said it was so rough we couldn't have run anyway. I personaly had seen enough, and had been in enough heats on Saturday where all we could do is idle, and try and keep boats on top of the water.

Again a big thanks to the CMB Club, Randy Premo and the other CD's who made this race possible. The Duncan clan had a great time as always.

You guys sure do make someone want to come to your event, when your own club members argue pointlessly with each other about a weather call. "Just saying"

I think the key here might have been let the racers vote.. It IS THERE event.. The club is the HOST club and the one MAKING THE MONEY.

Im sure most of the guys were just as much fun as always and thats not the point of this.

Listen.. I did not come to the race this year so the best I can do is pick thought what Im reading. I do know however I would have WANTED the chance TO VOTE on this regarless of how far I might have drove or how much it might have cost.

Congrats to all the winners.

Grimracer

I think the key here might have been let the racers vote.. It IS THERE event.. The club is the HOST club and the one MAKING THE MONEY.

Im sure most of the guys were just as much fun as always and thats not the point of this.

Listen.. I did not come to the race this year so the best I can do is pick thought what Im reading. I do know however I would have WANTED the chance TO VOTE on this regarless of how far I might have drove or how much it might have cost.

Congrats to all the winners.

Grimracer

My point! Thanks Grim..we did have a blast as usual!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back