novarossi outboard

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Novarossi

offer the 35plus 21 marine in a 14 and 14.5mm crank,

the 14mm is your standard crank, while the 14.5mm is the car crank which has a bigger I.D bore,

silicone ramp, tungston inserts for balancing,

they 14mm also has standard plug head...

here is pic of 14.5mm crank

35pluscrank.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
But remember,

he is asking about outboards, not inboards.

I'm thinking the same as Tim, are there any 14.5 OB cranks out there?

I've never saw one myself but would like to know if there is.

Also, any difference between the Vans OB kits vs. the Precision/HTB OB kits?

Any others?

Thanks!!
True, and the current production Top 35+ doesn't have the same timing numbers as my 2007 Novarossi 35+. I was under the imperession that the 35+ motors that Glenn has have the same crank as the 5 and 7 port motors, not the 14.5 sg crank. Maybe Carl will respond to this thread about the outboard cranks for the +. I have my + motor in a sport 20. Its a great engine. My earlier responses were directed toward the comments made that the performance of the 35+ can't be beat. It can be...for a lot less money.
My 35+21 from Glen does have a 14.5mm crank in it.
Is it the SG style crank?
Never heard of an SG style crank and have close to 20 Novas.

I'll need more info to answer that.
The cranks they use in rc cars. To put a flexshaft collet on you have to cut the end off.

I guess I have to eat some crow here.

I just went and measured the crank in my NIB 35+21 from Glen and it is a 14mm crank. I assumed it was the 14.5 and didn't know Glen ran a run of 14mm motors. Guess I learn something every day.

But I guess it will make a kick azz OB.
Walt,

I be curious to know what the port timing is on your version of the motor. Before the sleeve was dropped .020" on mine it was 199 and 130.

The car motor timings are radical for super high RPM. The actual loads on the car application are less than what we typically see in boats. The boats tend to require more torque. The buggy motor timings are a little better in that respect.
I got myself a 21PLUS5 buggy engine and the timings are super conservative, but it does have a 14.5mm crank, no silicone ramp and no slugs. I can raise the port timings easy enough, and I don't like silicone ramps. If you don't keep a close eye on them they can very quickly trash the inlet seal in the case when they start to part company with the crankshaft. The downside - the hole up the middle of the crank is a smaller diameter, and these cranks are super hard to bore out.

Now, if he could just get NR to make a reverse rotation 14.5mm crank with extended crank pin, we could handle the rest. The back plate/PTO is the easy part.
+1 vote for that addition to the product range!

Mine was sent to someone who does this stuff all the time, and was told it was seriously time consuming to do, compared to other brands of cranks. I don't know how it was done exactly, but essentially they gave it up as too time consuming for the $$$ in return.

Mine was sent to someone who does this stuff all the time, and was told it was seriously time consuming to do, compared to other brands of cranks. I don't know how it was done exactly, but essentially they gave it up as too time consuming for the $$$ in return.
Just remembered the port window, and CBN doesn't like an interrupted cut in hardened steel. That leaves grinding; and grinding is a slow process.

My 35 plus came from glenn with 14mm crank so it was easy to make an ob.

shane
Shane,

DO the 14mm crank Top 35+ engines have the radical timing of the 14.5 mm Novarossi 35+ engines? Someone had posted somwhere on the site that the newer engines had less timing, and should work better in boat applications. Where did you get your conversion parts?

Larry, mine had radical timings, but with the liner lowered it makes much better power!!! If the parts can hold together LOL

Kris

Both 14mm and 14.5 come with all the same timings etc.

only differance is bearings to suit 14mm crank and backplate,

Tim,

no nova parts let go.....

regards Aaron

My 35 plus came from glenn with 14mm crank so it was easy to make an ob.

shane
Shane,

DO the 14mm crank Top 35+ engines have the radical timing of the 14.5 mm Novarossi 35+ engines? Someone had posted somwhere on the site that the newer engines had less timing, and should work better in boat applications. Where did you get your conversion parts?
I don't know, i think the port timing was 192 but i could be incorrect.

when i got it i sent it to john otto to get modded .

shane

But remember,

Any others?

Thanks!!
True, and the current production Top 35+ doesn't have the same timing numbers as my 2007 Novarossi 35+. I was under the imperession that the 35+ motors that Glenn has have the same crank as the 5 and 7 port motors, not the 14.5 sg crank. Maybe Carl will respond to this thread about the outboard cranks for the +. I have my + motor in a sport 20. Its a great engine. My earlier responses were directed toward the comments made that the performance of the 35+ can't be beat. It can be...for a lot less money.

I only made a few of the 14.5mm cranks and I have not let any of them go out yet as they require about 20 mins machine time each before they are complete. (I build model parts when my regular work is slow). I may have around 20 or so of the 14.0mm cranks left. I will sometimes build custom cranks for people but that kind of stuff can get a bit expensive if i can't make it from one of my standard blanks.

-Carl

Both 14mm and 14.5 come with all the same timings etc.

only differance is bearings to suit 14mm crank and backplate,

Tim,

no nova parts let go.....

regards Aaron

Thanks Aaron,

Glen had posted he had replacement P/S's that had lower timing, and I thought someone on another post lost somewhere since the site update stated that the Top version of the engine had lower timing also. As for parts letting go, you can break anything if you try hard enough.

But remember,

Any others?

Thanks!!

I only made a few of the 14.5mm cranks and I have not let any of them go out yet as they require about 20 mins machine time each before they are complete. (I build model parts when my regular work is slow). I may have around 20 or so of the 14.0mm cranks left. I will sometimes build custom cranks for people but that kind of stuff can get a bit expensive if i can't make it from one of my standard blanks.

-Carl
Carl,

I sent you a pm.

But remember,

Any others?

Thanks!!

-Carl
Carl

what is happening with outboard conversion cranks,

cheers Luca

-Carl

If one of those 14mm cranks comes available,I liked to have one.

Ronald.

Is it just me or is it bewildering to understand why NovaRossi hasn't come out with an outboard powerhead straight from the manufacturer knowing the large number of people that run them. :blink:

Latest posts

Back