Just for fun.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toru Komatsu

Supporting Member
Hi RC boaters,

I have been learning a lot of effective techniques and getting a bunch of useful info and hints about RC boating through IW since I joined. On the other hand, I have hardly been sharing how I am playing with radio control boats.

Here, I would like to share something (not latest one though) I have been interested in for the past several years, which I was inspired by late Mr Jim Allen. He, to the best of my knowledge, first introduced the head butten with toroidal shaped combustion chamber. But the most of topics were about gas engines. For nitro engines, only tries with big block (90-101) engines might have been done with unknown results. So I was keen to try the toroidal head buttens to see how they could change the performance of small block (21, 45) nitro engines. For a 21 engine, Ken Retallic (KRE) had already tried and gave me some interesting input that the toroidal head butten could give some additional torque but seemed unlikely to add more rpm. So I decided to try by myself anyway.

The following 3 videos are of the test runnings of 2 21's and a 45 with the toroidal head butten.

<iframe width="1147" height="645" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The first one above is a mono.
Engine: Novarossi T21-7M which I bought from Shawn Junker on IW a bit long ago as used with some mods.
Pipe: MACS 1120 with a stinger silencer
Plug: O'Donnell 287T
Prop: ABC 1614/3 Chopper (prepared by Mark Sholund)
Fuel: 65% nitro

<iframe width="1147" height="645" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The second is a 21 outrigger.
Engine: Novarossi 21 DDM
Pipe: Scott Bouhie pipe with a stinger silencer
Prop: ABC 1815-17-45 (prepared by Mark Sholund)

The third is a 45 outrigger.
Engine: K (FW) 45 by Frank Werner
Pipe: AB parabolic pipe with a stinger silencer
Prop: ABC 2215-17-45 (prepared by Mark Sholund)

I want to do more tests with them (only once each so far), but the current COVID-19 situation does not allow me to go back to Japan.

I do not (cannot) participate any races, and therefore, the RC boats is just for my fun. I will post more about the tests when the situation gets improved.

Thanks IW!

Cheers
Toru

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your comment.

Thanks to your props, I could have quite satisfying results so far. But I believe they can spin bigger or more pitched props from you.
So trying them will be my fun for the next time.

Toru

Back