novarossi outboard

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

top fuel 1

hey guys i have been hearing alot about these novarossi with outboard conversions lately, but which motor seems to be the hot ticket? i see they have a several to choose from the

T21-5m 5 port or T21-7m and i also see the tx21 motors which one to choose? i am trying to put a combo together for my htb290

Last edited by a moderator:
shane, thats not gabe, you're thinking topfuel443

tim

p.s. lay off the black stuff :blink:

A properly prepared 5 port will out perform a properly prepared 35+ for a lot less money.

Sorry! i'll still say if you wan't to go fast? 35 plus!

you have to pay to play.

shane

The 14.5mm crank PLUS is a weapon of an engine but the timings are pretty wild. Might be a little tricky as an outboard unless you can get one with lower sleeve timing. I don't know if there is an outboard crank available in 14.5mm either?

The 7M is a great little motor with a 14mm crank and a flat top piston. Responds well to mods too. I don't have any experience with the 5 port, but others have had good results with them.

Sorry! i'll still say if you wan't to go fast? 35 plus!

you have to pay to play.

shane

Do you have One? I have both. And I have run the 35+ both with the radical timing they used to have from the factory, and with the sleeve lowered to reduce the timing. The motor performs better with the timing lowered. My 5 port makes better power and can pull more prop and is easier to tune. Both motors preped by Steve Wood. The 5 port from Glen at & 215.00 is the best bang for the buck in a 21 size engine.

Must have something to do with the Coriolis effect. The results have proved to be different on this side of the Equator.
smile.gif

But remember,

he is asking about outboards, not inboards.

I'm thinking the same as Tim, are there any 14.5 OB cranks out there?

I've never saw one myself but would like to know if there is.

Also, any difference between the Vans OB kits vs. the Precision/HTB OB kits?

Any others?

Thanks!!

But remember,

Any others?

Thanks!!
True, and the current production Top 35+ doesn't have the same timing numbers as my 2007 Novarossi 35+. I was under the imperession that the 35+ motors that Glenn has have the same crank as the 5 and 7 port motors, not the 14.5 sg crank. Maybe Carl will respond to this thread about the outboard cranks for the +. I have my + motor in a sport 20. Its a great engine. My earlier responses were directed toward the comments made that the performance of the 35+ can't be beat. It can be...for a lot less money.

But remember,

Any others?

Thanks!!
True, and the current production Top 35+ doesn't have the same timing numbers as my 2007 Novarossi 35+. I was under the imperession that the 35+ motors that Glenn has have the same crank as the 5 and 7 port motors, not the 14.5 sg crank. Maybe Carl will respond to this thread about the outboard cranks for the +. I have my + motor in a sport 20. Its a great engine. My earlier responses were directed toward the comments made that the performance of the 35+ can't be beat. It can be...for a lot less money.
My 35+21 from Glen does have a 14.5mm crank in it.

But remember,

Any others?

Thanks!!
Is it the SG style crank?

But remember,

Any others?

Thanks!!
Never heard of an SG style crank and have close to 20 Novas.

I'll need more info to answer that.

But remember,

Any others?

Thanks!!

The cranks they use in rc cars. To put a flexshaft collet on you have to cut the end off.

I also recall that Glen's 35+21 have the 14mm standard crank. It is easy for NR to bore the front end 14.0mm instead of 14.5mm. Using an SG style crank also requires that the flywheel/collet ass'y be modded for the shorter threads. I have a converted SG motor complete with the double slugged crank. I don't think that the cranks in the 35+21 motor from Glen have the tungsten balance slugs,either; but I may be wrong. Walt, does your 35+ crankhave the balance slugs and RTV filler?

Found the post Glen made when he first got the 35+21 motors. He listed that they had the 14mm std turbo cranks, not the slugged 14.5mm crank. 35+21 post

The car motor timings are radical for super high RPM. The actual loads on the car application are less than what we typically see in boats. The boats tend to require more torque. The buggy motor timings are a little better in that respect.

Now, if he could just get NR to make a reverse rotation 14.5mm crank with extended crank pin, we could handle the rest. The back plate/PTO is the easy part.

i know walt has a lot of novarossi he can help me with but i dont think he has any of the newer ones, so i need all the info and low down on them so i can see what ones work with outboard applications. and if anybody has any info on putting one on a htb290 i would like to hear what engine and lower they used.

thanks

But remember,

Any others?

Thanks!!

The cranks they use in rc cars. To put a flexshaft collet on you have to cut the end off.

I guess I have to eat some crow here.

I just went and measured the crank in my NIB 35+21 from Glen and it is a 14mm crank. I assumed it was the 14.5 and didn't know Glen ran a run of 14mm motors. Guess I learn something every day.

But I guess it will make a kick azz OB.

i know walt has a lot of novarossi he can help me with but i dont think he has any of the newer ones, so i need all the info and low down on them so i can see what ones work with outboard applications. and if anybody has any info on putting one on a htb290 i would like to hear what engine and lower they used.

thanks
Brian,

The only one I don't have is the 5 port, I have all the rest including the 35+.

Back