new .21 rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I 'm on page one .You may want to squeeze the water exit some. That will get you warmer. Did you ask Glenn about his carb mod on that NR?. Nice run nice build I run some of your props, Mark I did damage some also. Will talk later this winter. I have been running a stock Joeprop 1450 ,witch ran very well. I went to pic my rigger up off the stand and I caught the side .not good and my hull decided to keep running when I hit shore. not good. or one of my power pits onshore landing .

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok guys,. I made a few changes, maybe too many at once, but I'll be trying it this weekend.

I added the internal stinger to the pipe making the ID .2845. I ran the internal stinger to just about in line with the widest point on the pipe. I added a litte more water restriction with a small tie wrap just above the rudder. I adjusted the remote needle set up because I was just about as lean as I could go. I turned the screw in about 1/2 turn and adjusted the setting back to about mid range of the throw. This will give me the range I need to go a little leaner if needed.

I also added a tiny bit of negative strut angle on someone elses advice.

I realize this is too many changes to make at once. hopefully I don't go backwards!!!!

Thoughts?
Don't worry about making the engine leaner. You've ALREADY been too lean, because you did blow a plug. What you want to do is burn more fuel. Restricting the water alone will help that. Also shorten the pipe more. Cut the header as short as possible and taper the inside end of it. Take the dremel to it and carve a taper down in there about 3/8" to 1/2" if you can get that far. Next cut that 1/4" of header section off your OPS pipe so that the engine header butts to the cone of the pipe. You can cut a couple of shallow grooves on the OD of the pipe to help the silicon coupler maintain a good grip and not slide off. This will get your rpm up and also burn more fuel too.

Drill a .040" diameter hole in the back of the rudder until it meets the water pick up hole going up the back of the blade. Do this just below the water fitting. This will act as a pressure relief valve and eliminate the possibility of blowing out the water line. It will also make the tie wrap adjusting less sensitive. You will still get plenty of water pressure for even the hottest weather when you do need more water flow. Tie wraps are good for a last resort when you are at the pond and need to make an adjustment, but there are several other options that are much more accurate.

The smaller stinger will give you more tank pressure, so it is good that your gave yourself more room to lean the needle.

If you have a lathe available it would be a good idea to cut about .015" off the squish band and recut the shoulder to get the correct head clearance. Look for a plug depth of .105". There are other ways to mod the head, but that suggestion works for a wide range of variables with 50 to 70% nitro.

Try to keep the H.C. closer to .007-.008" if you go up to 60% nitro. .008"-.010" is ok for 50%.

These are things that will get you more speed without spending money for new parts.
Andy, great little piece.. I get/understand/and appreciate everything you said here, and finally - YES, some transfer of knowledge from the greats. :D I'm grapling with one part here - though: "Also shorten the pipe more. Cut the header as short as possible and taper the inside end of it. Take the dremel to it and carve a taper down in there about 3/8" to 1/2" if you can get that far. Next cut that 1/4" of header section off your OPS pipe so that the engine header butts to the cone of the pipe. You can cut a couple of shallow grooves on the OD of the pipe to help the silicon coupler maintain a good grip and not slide off"..

The part I don't get is, won't this upset the fine balance of "Tuned pipe resonance" if your butting the end of the pipe(Inside) the header, as opposed to the other way around?

This is why I never try to attempt to get it that short. My mind say's that if the wave Exits the Exhaust port with a smooth transition - it is better than if it left turbulant and came back smooth... Maybe this is why I'm not rich. :(
Ted,

I did not give enough detail on the header pipe set up. Yes the idea is to have a very smooth transition, but in this case the purpose is to also shorten the effective header pipe length. I use this method because we are limited by the bend on how short we can cut the header.

If I recall correctly, the Nova header ID is 13mm and OD is 15mm. I think the OPS header section is 14mm. When I ran the Novas (11 years ago) I would further open the pipe to about 15mm and then taper the engine header out to nearly 15mm to make the smooth transition. Making the taper in the header serves to get more rpm out of the 180 header pipe systems without going crazy high on the exhaust timing.

Yes, I've seen many engines pop a plug on the very first run.

Neil, I've experienced one problem with squeezing the water outlet on crank induction .21's. With the pressure build up it is possible to cause a small water leak in the water jacket and that water will end up right in the carb. It will drive you crazy trying to figure out why the engine isn't running just right. Plus it puts a strain on all of the plumbing.

That OPS can get really loud ,I think I was over the 92 des .The CD said I was over. But I also run against him. I had a AB parabolic that I loved. until a bad zip-tie she went down with no safety lanyard . I run a fishing leader now. I have the new Cooper on know. I miss the AB pipe

I have an AB parobolic too,.. I switched to the OPS cause my buddy is also running that pipe too,.. wanted to be different,... (and faster if possible)

That OPS can get really loud ,I think I was over the 92 des .The CD said I was over. But I also run against him. I had a AB parabolic that I loved. until a bad zip-tie she went down with no safety lanyard . I run a fishing leader now. I have the new Cooper on know. I miss the AB pipe

Anthony,

A "care package" is being Expressed to you today from Traverse City, MI.

Don't be afraid to shorten your pipe or adjust your strut depth.

Have Fun Testing,

From Fluffy In Traverse City :D

Thanks Mark!!!! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!! (I need to work on my patience)

Anthony,

A "care package" is being Expressed to you today from Traverse City, MI.

Don't be afraid to shorten your pipe or adjust your strut depth.

Have Fun Testing,

From Fluffy In Traverse City :D

Neil,

What 21 parabolic did you lose? They made three - standard/long, short and fat. I may be able to help you.

John

I wish I could tell which one I have too!

Neil,

What 21 parabolic did you lose? They made three - standard/long, short and fat. I may be able to help you.

John

Neil,

John

[/quote

Four according to CMDI's website, short, standard, long, and fat. I have all but the short. The long and the fat have worked the best for me, but I have only ever run them on front exhaust engines, in monos and sport hydros. A 3280 is the pipe I always start with on anything Nova powered, when running in a new engine or setting up new boat. I have tested Andy Brown's billet RX and the Wood/Cooper/Irwin S pipe on my 5 port powered Blackbird,but have only heat raced it with the OPS pipe so far. I tested a billet ST pipe on my 35+ powered SS21 sport hydro, at 7 1/2" the power curve was way to narrow for heat racing, but it sure let that little engine rev, and it would nearly torque roll the boat when it came up on the pipe. I'll be testing it at a bit longer length in my Whip next spring.

Larry

Here is my old setup. I hope I have the right pipe. I also have 2 Russian K pipes

New setup middle pic

Here are some pics of my setup. I know the fuel tank setup is not ideal but it's working. Also notice the rudder mounted on the side of the hull. I"m not running a cowl due to the fuel tank issue... THis winters build will have a cowl.

Did some more testing today.

I did see an improvement for sure. There is almost NO water runinng through the motor. Just barely enough to see a tiny spray. I still think the motor is not getting hot enough though... Never had this problem before. The added stinger helped I think. I did get more RPM. I plan to still shorten the pipe after a get a new header. I'm at about 7 7/8 now.

I was a little faster than my buddy today!!!

Thanks Guys

Sounds good, Anthony. Plenty of good ideas here to try. Looks like you did a great job, on your hydro. If you can get the correct volume in your head insert, as Andy stated above, you will notice another improvement. Richard D

I am just throwing this out there but that header looks like it has a very fast bend coming off the engine can that be good? None of my headers are like that.

I am just throwing this out there but that header looks like it has a very fast bend coming off the engine can that be good? None of my headers are like that.
gooycheese, I have the same header on my .21 vegas.If I remember wright its a HPI header.

I do plan on getting a different one. THis one is working but I think it could be better.

I did some testing yesterday.. Made good progress I think. I'm finding that my N/R 5 port makes more heat with more pitch on the prop. I was only able to test one prop before it got dark.

A full report on props and setup changes to come in a few days.

Tony

gooycheese, I have the same header on my .21 vegas.If I remember wright its a HPI header.

If I plan to build a .21 JAE Im going to use that same header. it pushes the pipe out the side more=makes better clearance for the cowl. wished there was one like that for the .12-18,s

Actually, this header pulls the pipe in very close. Too close IMO. WIth a normal header you can slot out for the header. This one forces you to remove most of one side of the cowl. On my boat, I think I would rather it be out away from the engine a little further...

Not a big fan of this header,.. but it's working ok for now.

If I plan to build a .21 JAE Im going to use that same header. it pushes the pipe out the side more=makes better clearance for the cowl. wished there was one like that for the .12-18,s

I was hoping someone with alot of background in the engine and exhaust flow side of the hobby would have given an opinion. There are alot of different things that make everything work together. Yes everything will work missing a few details but in the end until all details are worked out you havent reached the potential.

Back