ML BOATWORKS LASER CUT 1/10th, 1/8th, GAS Scale Wood Unlimited Hydroplane Framing Kits

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
'80 Pay Pak Turbine:

IMGP1921.jpg

IMGP1922.jpg

IMGP1923.jpg

And the '69 Pay Pak Outrigger hull. Kevin V. and Don Ferrette, you can both smile now, haha

IMGP1926.jpg

IMGP1927.jpg

IMGP1931.jpg

IMGP1930.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:D I can't wait to get the build thread going!!! I will be selling two out of the three I am making!

If anyone has any requests, please just ask. Mike
Sure 158.To make the 1989 Circus Circus.Already have the cowls for it as of today.Just need your frames.I ordered the cowl after I recieved your reply.LOL.just need to pick up wood for sheeting and what have ya.waiting patiently.will need 2 frame kits thought.one for test bed and one to make a mold of hull.shann

Shann, I do hope that you did not ask for this kit weeks ago? If you did, I am sorry for not getting to work on it! I will start on it this week or next. Don't worry about ordering plywood, i can supply you the Koskisen ply if you need it too. Just let me know what thicknesses you need, and how many sheets. I will keep you updated! Mike

Shann, I do hope that you did not ask for this kit weeks ago? If you did, I am sorry for not getting to work on it! I will start on it this week or next. Don't worry about ordering plywood, i can supply you the Koskisen ply if you need it too. Just let me know what thicknesses you need, and how many sheets. I will keep you updated! Mike

[/qu OH sorry no need to panic for me.Im in no hurry right now this is only to let you know I would definetly like to buy a kit or 2 from you.Cause this will be my winter projects.Right now Im enjoying summer so no rushing on my account.You get it done when its good for you.Its all good.just mark me down for 2 is all.Shann

..... HOWEVER, not having the proper sponsons on the 92 and later boats would be very noticable and could be deemed illegal even though the hull width would still fall within the post 91 legal limits with the non-Jones sponsons used.
This is a very good point as the Jones sponsons are very different from the earlier ones like Lucero and others did. Besides being non symmetrical (one wider than the other) they also feature noticeably rounded outside corners that are quite different as well. ;)
While it is true that the presently used Jones sponsons do have rounded edges, this was not a feature until the 90 or 91 Buds and the 93 Madison if I remember correctly. Any boat with Jones sponsons prior to that date had the old style sharp edges at the deck edge. It was a conversation between a Bud crew member and an aeronautical engineer that led to the initial computer and subsequent wind tunnel testing of the rounded sponson edges that led to the final design that are the norm today
Correction The 89 Circus circus had jones sponsons with rounded edges.As seen on the Newton plans 158 as well as pictures I have of the pink lady.Circus was one of few boats that had the Jones sponsons rounded 1989 was the the experimental year.then revamped when The Coors Dry debuted in 1992.

Out of town this weekend, I will get up with everyone when I get back monday. I have been working on the thriftway 2, 158 circus and 8255 gas plans, hope to get them all finalized for everyone in the next week or two. Mike

It was a conversation between a Bud crew member and an aeronautical engineer that led to the initial computer and subsequent wind tunnel testing of the rounded sponson edges that led to the final design that are the norm today
The design was from Ron Jones, the Circus and Bud teams were just the first couple teams who went with it. The rounded non symmetrical sponsons began showing up across the board once it became known they helped with the blowover problem and how the boats drove. With radiusing the edges, air traps and sponson tips making everything "softer" Jones found and increase of over 6 inches up pitch before the boats would want to blow over which is actually quite alot. They also found the boats became better handling and more drivable, they became less "darty" as the air influenced the boats attitude less impacting softer surfaces. The different widths were to add support the the outside sponson in the corners. As previously mentioned the design surfaced in late '89 and was pretty much universally accepted within a couple years.

And BTW- the F-16 canopy design was also a Ron Jones creation. The "enclosed" cockpit was something he wanted to do for quite a while, first toying on the idea in the late '60s. After the deaths of Muncey and Chenoweth Jones became obsessed with coming up with a solution. He spent two years hammering on the company who made the F-16 canopies who initially rejected him because the Air Force owned the tooling for them. Jones was able to finally procure two "rejects" for $1500 each, one went on the Bud and the other on the Miss 7-11. When Steve Reynolds walked away from a really nasty inverted roll during testing because the turn fin broke the APBA recognized the value of the canopy system. Beginning in 1987, all new unlimiteds had to be so equipped and older boats were given until 1989 to make the switch and the rest as they say is history. :)

Couple more kits arrived today, '82 Atlas/ '90 Oberto Turbine, and the '80 Miss Budweiser humpback. I will post more pics tonight once I get the frames pulled and slid together before shipping. I am building the '80 Miss Bud for myself, so there will be way more to come! There is also a pic of some of the detail work with the '69 pak outrigger and some pics showing how easy it is to build one of my kits.. L means left, R means right, RF means Right front, RB means Right rear, etc.! Mike

IMGP1998Large.jpg

IMGP1999Large.jpg

IMGP2000Large.jpg

IMGP2001Large.jpg

IMGP2002Large.jpg

HJ, I have discussed your wanting to lighten framing so much with a few others, and I have a lot of people saying that little bit of weight reduction weakens the subframe tremendously if and when the hull is subjected to an impact. Its fine if you never hit anything, but impacts not so much. The frames with no material left are subject to a higher rate of shattering. People also mentioned that Roger did the holes the way he did since it was done that way in full size hulls. I tend to agree. The ounce or two you might loose is not worth it to me. The framing only weights a couple pounds as it is, and that tiny amount of extra is a lot of insurance. Mike

Hey mike

Do you have any cutouts in the left side of the engine bay for the tank? is it possible to add that before cutting?

Cheers

Bob

Bob, Because everyone has their own way of adding tanks, I will not be opening up the engine well. That is something that can be easily done by the buyer before they get to far along with the build. Thanks, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back