ML BOATWORKS LASER CUT 1/10th, 1/8th, GAS Scale Wood Unlimited Hydroplane Framing Kits

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
'82 Atlas/ '90 Oberto kit going out to customers:

IMGP2009Large.jpg

IMGP2006Large.jpg

My '80 Bud Humpback. You can see the hatch framing, and nosing pieces off to the side for the kit:

IMGP2012Large.jpg

IMGP2011Large.jpg

IMGP2010Large.jpg

The 8255 gas kit is done. Just need to put it on the laser template in CADD, and it will be ready to place orders. Mike

8255 GAS KIT IS NOW READY Framing kit is $190 Shipped (CONUSA), Framing & full sheeting kit is $310 shipped (CONUSA)

Haha, 51 1/4" long, 27 9/16" wide, 14 5/8" tunnel. I have changed the floor pan from a single "break" pan, to a smoother flowing twin "break" pan. I have gotten some feedback that the original design just packed to much air, so this should help. It has a 6" wide engine well, jones sponsons, and Phil Thomas, who wanted the boat originally, will be doing a cowling for it. Could it get any cooler??? lol, Mike

Haha, 51 1/4" long, 27 9/16" wide, 14 5/8" tunnel. I have changed the floor pan from a single "break" pan, to a smoother flowing twin "break" pan. I have gotten some feedback that the original design just packed to much air, so this should help. It has a 6" wide engine well, jones sponsons, and Phil Thomas, who wanted the boat originally, will be doing a cowling for it. Could it get any cooler??? lol, Mike
Scaled back to a 24" width what would that do for the overall length?

About 48.5 long for 24 wide. That would be not much bigger than 1/8th scale. The 82u55 is a wide boat.

PNW scale rules just took 1/8th Newton plans and added 20% They have a master hull roster too, actual length +- 1 inch which is 51 inches long

Hi Mike- Can you post photos of the 8255 Gas Kit- Or e-mail them to me at [email protected] I'm very excited to see others getting interested in this new class as it is very cool to see these big boats running. B) So far in the 1/6 scale gas class we have the E-Lam done with glass hulls, wing sets and cowls for sale. We also have the 76 Oly 1/6 scale cowl for sale. It would be great if you could take on the framing kit for the 76 OLY hull as it makes quite a few different hulls and with the cowl already done it would be easy for someone to get started in the class. I can tell you that we have the 76 OLY running close to 1/8 scale nitro speeds using the current RCMK "R" Motors. For anyone interested in the 1/6 GAS Scale class this is the link to the Master hull roster and racing rules we are using http://www.pnwta.org/club.php You will also find photos of the E-Lam and the OLY on the clubs website at www.pnwta.org

Marty Shallenberger

NAMBA National Scale Chairman

www.pnwta.org

Last edited by a moderator:
About 48.5 long for 24 wide. That would be not much bigger than 1/8th scale. The 82u55 is a wide boat.

PNW scale rules just took 1/8th Newton plans and added 20% They have a master hull roster too, actual length +- 1 inch which is 51 inches long
Actually Phil it's a good bit bigger as the 8255 at 1/8th should be a maximum 43.75" long and 23.5" wide as per the master hull roster so you're still talking almost 1/2 foot longer at 48.5". Personally I think 51" long and over 27" wide for an 8255 is a bit much but hey that's just me. For what it's worth, with that degree of scaling up you'd be looking at an almost 58" long Winston Eagle lobster for example not to mention there's a few well known vintage hulls on the PNW roster that as shown scaled up 20% exceed our 60" length limit on all boats. :blink:

Yes they are big, Dont know how they came up with the +20% size. Full 1/6th scale would be really too big.

The PNWTA advisory board spent a lot of time measuring and mocking up hulls using the front carb rear exhaust motors. What we found is yes it did eliminate a few of the early hulls due to the 60 inch max length for insurance but the 1/6.667 scale we chose ( 20% over 1/8 scale) allowed us to hide the spark plug under the cowl of the newer hulls and since this is a scale class we felt that this was more important than the handful of scales that would be eliminated.

Below is the list of hulls that when built to Gas Scale will be to large to race under PNWTA rules.

YearU-#Boat NameLENGTHLENGTH49-51U-10Delphine X38-2(67.45-69.95)52U-111SUCH CRUST III34-0(59.95-62.45)53, 55-56G-22SUCH CRUST LLL (RED)34-0(59.95-62.45)54G-22PACE ALONG 57-60G-22/U-70SUCH CRUST 111(BLUE) 57-59U-62THRIFTWAY TOO (MAHOGANY)34-0(59.95-62.45)60U-62THRIFTWAY TOO (WHITE) 59, 60U-56GALE VI36-0(63.55-66.05)61-63U-57GALE VII 62-64U-77/U-70SUCH CRUST34-0(59.95-62.45)65-67U-70SUCH CRUST IV 66U-70LEAR JET 67U-44GALES ROOSTERTAIL36-0(63.55-66.05)68U-35ATLAS VAN LINES35-0(61.75-64.25)74U-99MISS LAPEER34-0(59.95-62.45)

Marty

I just created the '80 Budweiser humpback framing with a centered engine well for those that are not interested in the extreme offset the original kit has. I had a jrcbd member want that, so I spent 30 minutes and made it happen! Mike

Yes they are big, Dont know how they came up with the +20% size. Full 1/6th scale would be really too big.

The PNWTA advisory board spent a lot of time measuring and mocking up hulls using the front carb rear exhaust motors. What we found is yes it did eliminate a few of the early hulls due to the 60 inch max length for insurance but the 1/6.667 scale we chose ( 20% over 1/8 scale) allowed us to hide the spark plug under the cowl of the newer hulls and since this is a scale class we felt that this was more important than the handful of scales that would be eliminated.

Below is the list of hulls that when built to Gas Scale will be to large to race under PNWTA rules.

YearU-#Boat NameLENGTHLENGTH49-51U-10Delphine X38-2(67.45-69.95)52U-111SUCH CRUST III34-0(59.95-62.45)53, 55-56G-22SUCH CRUST LLL (RED)34-0(59.95-62.45)54G-22PACE ALONG 57-60G-22/U-70SUCH CRUST 111(BLUE) 57-59U-62THRIFTWAY TOO (MAHOGANY)34-0(59.95-62.45)60U-62THRIFTWAY TOO (WHITE) 59, 60U-56GALE VI36-0(63.55-66.05)61-63U-57GALE VII 62-64U-77/U-70SUCH CRUST34-0(59.95-62.45)65-67U-70SUCH CRUST IV 66U-70LEAR JET 67U-44GALES ROOSTERTAIL36-0(63.55-66.05)68U-35ATLAS VAN LINES35-0(61.75-64.25)74U-99MISS LAPEER34-0(59.95-62.45)

Marty
Sounds good to me, Im sure youguys di your homework on this, 20% larger than newton plan is easy to do if scratch building.

The other nice part about going with 120% is many of the round nosed boats could be run in the Thunderboat class by just widening the transom slightly in some cases or without any changes in others
Well to each his own but when pics get posted showing how people are converting golf bag carts so they can wheel the boats around 'cause they're too big to carry is where I draw the line. :blink:
And to think how for many years I always felt like 1/8th scales could be a bit of a pain carrying around trying to avoid things like knocking the wings off going through doorways, trailers etc..... :p

The size is definitely what keeps me from even considering one for myself. My 4runner will only fit so much boat. Guess I could pull the Mako 17 off the trailer, and throw 2 gas hulls on it, lol.

The other nice part about going with 120% is many of the round nosed boats could be run in the Thunderboat class by just widening the transom slightly in some cases or without any changes in others
Well to each his own but when pics get posted showing how people are converting golf bag carts so they can wheel the boats around 'cause they're too big to carry is where I draw the line. :blink:
And to think how for many years I always felt like 1/8th scales could be a bit of a pain carrying around trying to avoid things like knocking the wings off going through doorways, trailers etc..... :p
Yep we know that fealing. Joe hates to carry that gas oberto around ,even at madison. afraid some could happend ,even loading it in a small car back seat without bumping into anything is a challange too.Don you ment this pic of carts?

Hi Don-- Not much bigger than the T-Boats and no harder to move around or launch - What Roger Newton and I saw was an interest in the T-Boats but a lot of the scale racers in the Northwest wanted pickle forks so we started this as a Scale Thunderboat class...

I have never seen the golf cart transport before -- Maybe I will build an electric one so I won't have to pull it.. :p :p

Marty

Hi Don-- Not much bigger than the T-Boats and no harder to move around or launch - What Roger Newton and I saw was an interest in the T-Boats but a lot of the scale racers in the Northwest wanted pickle forks so we started this as a Scale Thunderboat class...

I have never seen the golf cart transport before -- Maybe I will build an electric one so I won't have to pull it.. :p :p

Marty
Here ya go, just too big for me. :p

Now Don, I never said the 120% boats weren't a pain to move. To go much larger than 120% is asking to make a clutch a required object as the boats will be too big to throw launch. We tried that 15 years or so ago :rolleyes:
Now HJ-- 15 years ago we did not have the high HP gas motors or the light weight building materials that we have now, that is why it failed when Rodger Newton tried to get the 1/6 gas hydro class to go back then .. These current boats are not any harder to move around, store, launch and drive than the Classic Thunderboat class that has become one of the largest classes within NAMBA, they are just Scale Pickle Fork and Round Nose boats instead of the Semi-Scale Classic Thunderboats. With the 5 to 6hp motors we are using now we do not need to even think about using clutches for this class. One big advantage to this class is that when you get older - have gray hair - needing cataract replacement you will still be able to find your boat on the race course ... ;)

Marty

www.pnwta.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back