ML Boatworks GSX-470 Gas Sport Hydro- All New Design/ Build Thread

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Don, Here are some more pics of the build. Almost there....

Got the build finished up, got slack with in between pics, but basically got the decks on, nosing added, aluminum rods go through the hull. The center section was epoxy coated and carbon fiber added before the sponsons were bonded on so it stayed square. I just added the first epoxy exterior coat this morning.

20210814_065118-X3.jpg

20210816_064046-X3.jpg

20210816_064054-X3.jpg

20210816_064101-X3.jpg

20210816_064117-X3.jpg

20210816_064124-X3.jpg

Should be soon. I have not had time to finish mine, but a friend has his almost done, and will be running it soon. I will post when I have more info! Thanks, Mike

I got my GSX470, and I stopped by Mikes and picked up my cowl. I did a test fit of the kit, and disassembled it, Mike makes a high quality kit! I started gathering parts for the build. The mailman delivered my CP Mods 29.5 engine over the Christmas break. I picked up some West systems 206 and 207 hardener for the build. I am getting a list ready of the parts I’ll need for the build, and gonna start to order.

So, I designed this kit probably a year or more ago, and had a kit cut, dry fitted it, and never had a chance to finish it. I have been ramping up my gas hull/ kit program this year, and decided it was time to get moving again along side the new rigger, CP Kat molds, and new gas mono, as well as an in-design IMPBA legal pickle fork thunderboat kit.

A little history on my gas sport hydro. The current GSX-480 kit has been out for probably 6 years or so, and white it just won the Gas Nationals this year, driven by Curtis Maglinger, I still want to get this new design on the water, and see if my thought process works the way I envisioned. This hull as asymetrical sponsons, not only in width, but length as well, the front center section is asymetrical, the sponsons have shingles unlike the original gas sport, the center section has a wider transom, making it lookg more like an actual sport hydro, instead of a modified rigger. A new cowling mold will be made that is easier to fit on the hull. The cowling plug shown is my rigger cowl, and was just put on to see how it looked, but will not be used for this kit. This kit is easier to build than the first gen kit, but stronger due to the dowel support system like my smaller GSX lineup. This kit also utilizes the truss frames for the outside of the center section, adding more room to the engine well area, yet keeping strength. So, there you have it, a totally new design, really unlike anything currently produced! The first photos are just the dry fitment, which has been disassembled, and I am now building it back, starting with the sponsons.

I have the sponsons framed, the air relief sheeting has been added, but not pictured yet, and I am making templates for the rest of the sheeting, and adding those pieces now. More soon!

i-zB3h6ZR-X3.jpg

i-gZ3wV6G-X3.jpg

i-mMWkCW6-X3.jpg

i-TMdq28Q-X3.jpg
Wow. Looks fast

Latest posts

Back