Miss Circus Circus WOF Build thread for Fast Electric

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, Here are some updated pics of the sponson sheeting. One of the sponsons is externally about finished up, but needs cloth and epoxy on the inside, the other has some more ride pad sanding to do before I am finished with it. You can see the unfinished sponson doesnt fully have epoxy yet. I weighted the hull tonight with only the upper deck skins and fins needing applied, and with the epoxy cowling, we are at 4.9lbs so far, so I think the finished hull will come in at around 6.5-7.5lbs, at least that is my thoughts so far! For those asking, we are working on the exhaust tube in epoxy, and finalizing the cowling molds. Both will be available as soon as we finalize all the molds! Mike

IMGP0992.jpg

IMGP0991.jpg

IMGP0990.jpg

IMGP0989.jpg

IMGP0994.jpg

IMGP0993.jpg

Um, Because I dont want my sponsons falling apart! I use 1/32" ply, with 1/16" ride pad. If it was WOF that would be one thing, but not adding a layer of cloth on the inside of this sponson is asking for trouble. All the weight loss in the world is not worth a crap if the boat will not stay together in a blow off! Mike

I already know about the rear of the nontrip, just let me get that far along on the build. You have to remember I am doing sheeting templates with my plans so obstuctions have to be removed. Future builds will not be done like this.

H.J. I just thought I would state it since so many get 'touchy' when online chatting.

Good stuff!

Got the sponsons bonded to the center former this weekend, and got all the glasswork done inside the sponsons and non trips. It is curing now. Once its cured, I will foam all the sponson insides. I would love any suggestions for a quality turn fin for this boat. I need to plan my bracing for one before I can do the top sheeting, so any ideas are welcome! Mike

Got the sponsons bonded to the center former this weekend, and got all the glasswork done inside the sponsons and non trips. It is curing now. Once its cured, I will foam all the sponson insides. I would love any suggestions for a quality turn fin for this boat. I need to plan my bracing for one before I can do the top sheeting, so any ideas are welcome! Mike
dick tyndal .. or elzorro on here , mike he makes the finest turnfins of anyone and the brackets are included and beefy.. email or pm him and btw that is what ill be using on mine.

tk

Thanks TK, I sent him a PM. Congrats on your new child as well. I am thinking you sent me a phone pic, but my phone doesn't seem to like pics sent via text! Mike

Good progress has been made over the last week. I got the sponsons finished, glassed internally, and mounted on the center former. Last night, I pulled my first epoxy turbine tube from the mold, and bonded the halfs together, then cut to fit. It is a full epoxy glass tube, and can be made up to about 22" in length, and it is 3" outside diameter. Mine is already cut to the shape I needed. I am still awaiting getting the epoxy Circus cowl from the maker. If I don't get one soon, I am going to make my own molds and do them myself. Its tough to wait around so long to get a part, and I need at least one now! lol. I also got the rough shape of the top deck sheeting figured out, and one side has been cut. It is not bonded in the picture, just laying there. I have to get my turn fin and mount before I continue, and I need to talk to Don Ferrette about strut and rudder options as I heard he is the man to talk to. I also need to figure out a good mounting option for the rear fins and wing. Its coming along well tho, so I am pleased so far. Enjoy the pics for now. My parents will be in town for the holidays, only see them a couple times a year as they live far out of state, so my focus will be spending time with my Dad running my rc boats, fishing in the full size boat and enjoying the company, so I doubt to much will be accomplished over the next week or so! Mike

IMGP1016Large.jpg

IMGP1018Large.jpg

IMGP1017Large.jpg

IMGP1020Large.jpg

IMGP1021Large.jpg

IMGP1022Large.jpg

Very good options Hydro. I wish I could see the pic better! When it goes bigger, its to blurry to tell! I have to starting thinking about the wings, and those canards next, as the top sheeting will not be installed until after that is figured out! Mike

Your hull is looking really nice Spoon.

Bob mounted his tail feathers somewhat like Harry Gatjens did. But instead of the the aluminum mount he used a small right angle nylon bracket. 2 for each tail feather. I'll try to post some shots later for you.

Sorry for the delay. I have had family in town, and have a kneeler to build for a customer, so I had to set this aside. I also finished my whip 20 FE, I should gear back up on this next week. Sorry!

Latest posts

Back