Miss Circus Circus WOF Build thread for Fast Electric

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
Well, I am working on something different. I will be honest, I bought the Dumas Circus kit (2 of them actually-one for Circus, one for High life). The first thing I noticed, that heavy heavy framing. I felt the kit would be good for building, and putting on a shelf, not for real RC performance. I have heard the finished kit comes in around 14lbs. I am planning on my Wood over Foam to be 10lbs or less with ease. This knowledge comes from similar size WOF Kneeler builds I have done being only about 6-7lbs. I am taking that framed up Dumas kit to make my templates, and plans to do the WOF build. So far I have about finished up the center former, put the ABS cowling together, and the exhaust tube is done. I am definitely using all the dumas precut pieces, cowling, and misc parts to help with the build, but I am noting on plans all those pieces so that my finished set will show all the parts necessary to build the WOF version. I still would highly recommend purchasing the Dumas kit as it comes with a LOT of valuable things to make your life easier. I started this Wednesday, and have gotten a long way. Next will be the sponson buildup, then the top decking. I have a ton of radio box room, and if you are a nitro person, there is way more room than you could ever imagine to do your setup! Enjoy, Mike

IMGP0790.jpg

IMGP0791.jpg

IMGP0792.jpg

IMGP0793.jpg

IMGP0798.jpg

IMGP0797.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I am working on something different. I will be honest, I bought the Dumas Circus kit (2 of them actually-one for Circus, one for High life). The first thing I noticed, that heavy heavy framing. I felt the kit would be good for building, and putting on a shelf, not for real RC performance. I have heard the finished kit comes in around 14lbs. I am planning on my Wood over Foam to be 10lbs or less with ease. This knowledge comes from similar size WOF Kneeler builds I have done being only about 6-7lbs. I am taking that framed up Dumas kit to make my templates, and plans to do the WOF build. So far I have about finished up the center former, put the ABS cowling together, and the exhaust tube is done. I am definitely using all the dumas precut pieces, cowling, and misc parts to help with the build, but I am noting on plans all those pieces so that my finished set will show all the parts necessary to build the WOF version. I still would highly recommend purchasing the Dumas kit as it comes with a LOT of valuable things to make your life easier. I started this Wednesday, and have gotten a long way. Next will be the sponson buildup, then the top decking. I have a ton of radio box room, and if you are a nitro person, there is way more room than you could ever imagine to do your setup! Enjoy, Mike

IMGP0790.jpg

IMGP0791.jpg

IMGP0792.jpg

IMGP0793.jpg

IMGP0798.jpg

IMGP0797.jpg
mike do me a favor on my 2 can you install the blind nuts for the motor mounts at the stock location, but in the sides before you attatch to the foam ? i am very stoked about this deal here ..looks nice and light man, very nice work you do. i can send a greenhead and mounts to accomidate this if needed and then we can swap pics so it is like i want it..lmk btw what is the width inside is it 5 inches like normal?

tk

might need to see if the dumas stuff is still available by itself, if not i can get a rc boatworks cowling and you can make it fit the hull and it would make it easier for guys to use these and they are e glass and light .. unless you are gonna make a mold then haul the mail brother.

tk

Sorry for the late reply. Ok, let me address some of the above questions! Wood over Foam..what does it mean. Well, when you do a WOF, you cut the foam to the width you need it. In my case, I cut each slab to the correct width as to model the original left and right side of the center former. Then I made outer templates based on the Dumas kit. The inner and outer templates are then glued in place on the outside of the foam slab. Then a foam cutter wire is slid down the templates on either side..in turn shaping the foam to the desired upper and lower curves of the center former. In no way did I use any of the dumas parts and cut the framing out. The only dumas parts I am using are sheeting material that is nice Birch ply. I might as well use it, since I am using the cowling and exhaust tube from the kit. Might as well get my moneys worth from the Dumas kit!

For those of you that do not know me, or of the kneeler hydroplanes I build, here is a link with great pics showing the Wood over Foam process. My 41" kneeler hydroplanes weight only about 5-6lbs with sealed epoxy exteriors, no electronics or anything. For a 41" hull, that is super light! This build thread is for the 35" I build. Check out the pics, it will give you a better understanding of the process. My link

Ok, rail width for nitro engines. I do not know off hand as I am not at home what the rail width is on these boats. I used the exact width that the dumas kit used. Just remember, I am trying to build this as close as possible to the dumas kit. Now, when my newton plans arrive, I may do the sponsons like newton did to add more function, but from what I am hearing, Dumas did their kit exactly as the full size. I will review both styles, and decide from there. Either way, I am sticking to the 10% rule for scale hulls. I am sure that a 5" channel can be incorporated into the boat as a "one-off" design. I don't know why you would use 5" widths..Dumas did not originally, so why would you now??? I thought 5" was for gas stuff anyways?

Hydrojunkie, as far as 10lbs or less with framing, go for it. My reasoning for doing WOF is my past experience with it. The weight difference, yeah, it may be 10lbs in the end, but I have every reason to believe that it may come in at around 7-9lbs, but I don't want everyone's hopes up too high, so 10lbs is conservative. Another thing about WOF..its very durable, and can handle crashes very well..its also unsinkable..and it also adds a LOT of buoyancy. It helps the boat stay higher in the water. With me doing mine as fast electric, I can expect to be able to get great speeds from the boats with 4-6 cell lipo packs, not 8-10 cell packs like framed up builds are having to use. Gives so much more hull efficiency. Lots of good reasons..the best reason being, its fun! I love a WOF build! I have also only worked on this for like 2-3 part time days, and have most of the center section done. I don't want to take years to finish the boat! Mike

"I am sure that a 5" channel can be incorporated into the boat as a "one-off" design. I don't know why you would use 5" widths..Dumas did not originally, so why would you now??? I thought 5" was for gas stuff anyways?"

Spoonefcrx,

The 5" measurement between rails is a nominal value for a .67 engine using a Speedmaster type mount. The relatively standard "Gas" mount is also 5" - - that's why members are asking you the question. Most of the boaters I have know that have built Dumas scale hulls over the years do not care for the spacing Dumas chose. The modern day hardware available is head and shoulders above the hardware packages that Dumas suggested and made available.

It appears to me that you are using Dow Chemical Styrofoam ( which is Extruded Polystyrene)for your build. Another benefit of the Styrofoam is that it is a "Closed Cell" foam that resists moisture - - It is used in six man life rafts for buoyancy. I have used this over the years for Scale and Sport 40 hulls. I have also used one, two, and four pound per cu./ft. white foam that I bought from a company in San Marcos, CA - - they made corner moldings, columns, and various building material forms. I have not been able to find this foam since I moved from California, so I now raid foam I find - normally used as packing for furniture . ALL WHITE FOAM is NOT Created EQUAL. It was a GREAT foam - not the white expanded styrene bead type foam so commonly available. I usually make the sponsons and either side of the engine tub using the Dow Styrofoam, and some of the white foam aft to save a little weight. The pic attached is of a MHR 8255 hull I built about 3 years ago. The thin blue piece which makes up the after plane - was something I tried for a bit of extra stiffness in the after plane - - It worked well.

I even have carved cowls from Styrofoam - it carves very well. A little birch ply in areas for strength and where it meets the hull deck, hollow out the inside to clear all powertrain components, then cover it with a layer or two of 1 1/2 oz. fiberglass cloth inside and out using epoxy resin of your choice - some sanding, and you have a sealed, buoyant cowl.

I use a band saw to cut foam, sand flats (center hull, sponson bottoms and non trips with a large sanding block using 60 grit sand paper. For sponson tops and deck crowns - I rough shape with a Stanley SURFORM file after removing the large corners from the cut block using a hand held hack saw blade. Ultimately, I return to my 30 and 60 grit sanding blocks as the part approaches the shape I'm looking for.

There are all kinds of way to skin a cat - - I just thought I'd offer the techniques that have worked well for me over the years. The 8255 hull in the picture weighed 6 pounds 5 ounces skinned with 1 1/2 oz fiberglass cloth applied with West epoxy. Ready to run weights less fuel very between 11.5 - 15 pounds for a ready to run 1/8th Scale boat.

CHEERS !!! Bob Johnson

Thats some good info about the Dumas kit, and the styrofoams.

Hmm, so the Dumas sponsons not close. Well, I am definitely going to wait for the newton plans to arrive and base my sponsons off of them. The center former turned out pretty nice, so that is gonna stay the way it is to work with my cowling. Anyone know how long it takes for Newton plans to ship??? Hopefully soon so I can continue on! Also, I measured the width. 4-5/8" is what I have. Looks like it would be very simple to make it a little wider for the 5" mount. Mike

You know, the Steve Muckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk mount! haha. They push that stuff in the instructions all day! Dunno who he was, but he was God to Dumas! Mike

You know, the Steve Muckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk mount! haha. They push that stuff in the instructions all day! Dunno who he was, but he was God to Dumas! Mike
that was a piece of crap mount like the piece of crap it was desinged to hold.. the kaboom .67..lol they needed the girdle design to help the motor stay together. i can send you one if you like i have been holding down papers with it for about 2 years.

tk

Lol, you can keep that mount Terry! lol. I may have some good news regarding the Circus Dumas cowling in Epoxy glass. I will know more in a few days. Lets just say an old friend called tonight, and the topic came up! I will tell you more when I know more. Mike

Back