New Build and Few Questions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A switch can be a weak link. Some clubs actually require a removeable power lead to prevent the boat's motor from being able to start accidentally. I know the Brandts run electric scales so you might check with them on what they use. As far as a receiver switch, there are several options available from factory made harnesses to magnetic switches.
A charger that can handle all of the battery types you use would be what I would look for. I know I picked up a Graupner Ultramat AC/DC charger/cycler at a model expo a few months ago. This thing can:
  • run off 100-240 VAC or 11-15 VDC
  • charge LiIon/LiPo, LiFe and lead-acid up to 6 cells
  • charge nicad or NIMH up to 14 cells
  • cycle at 1 amp discharge and 7 amp charge maximum with a .1 amp minimum on both
I'm sure others will have their own recommendations as to brands or capabilities to look for.
Speaking of batteries, I would go with something you could race with later, if you decide you want to get into competition. 8S 6000 size LiPos will get you competitive and still be usable for fun running

That be the one. I haven't used it yet but I figured I'd give it a shot. I just can't see the point of taking several different types of chargers along every time I go to an our of town race site so, if this one does what it's advertised to do...............
As far as the batteries, IIRC, most of the guys use two 8S packs in parallel. The only advantage using two packs has is longer run times since the ESC and motor are drawing off both packs at the same time.

Im back at it and looking a lot harder at motor installation and placement. I am leaning towards having the batteries up in the nose. Can anyone give me the dimensions and weight of two 4s packs? All I have here is a 2s pack out of my sons 1/10 scale car.

Also had a rear wing bracket made and picked up a sheet of g10 to make the motor similar to what I saw on one of the m5 videos.

Last edited:
You need to buy your batteries. They are not all the same. Best if you figure out which ones you want. All suppliers have dimensions on their sites. I run Roaring Top in my 1/10 scale. My p Ltd hydro runs SMC batteries.
Mike

Back