Kep's 21 Freebie Outrigger PDF template drawing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well ready as I will ever be for the Winter Nats. Got all the bugs out running strong with a AB prepped H5.

This little boat has bin to he77 and back. It has done stuffs,cart wheels and many flips. Even bounced off the retrieve boat coming in to hot. I named it Colline after my first wife. :blink:

What a little bi#%h!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will see how it goes.

David
Man I'm hoping you wore that thing out !!! By the sound of it you are hauling packages ..not just mail !!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: See you in turn one !! :D
It is what it is. <_<

Gust hope to finish a heat. :unsure:

This is only my 3rd race and the first time .21 rigger race. Be gentile with me. :rolleyes:

David
Were in the same boat ...I ran mine twice in the last three or four years !!!!! I've heard from spys that your boats is FAST !! Should be fun ..how's the lake looking ? :D
The lake is ready. Got the drivers stand and fencing up. Got the course set 30' corners and 392' straits. He77 you could run a drag boat and win. The wind was up but not much chop. The lake sits down in a bowl. the view from the drivers stand is great, up high. Going to be a good time for all.

Don't beleave every thing you hear.It could be faster.

David

I have updated the Kep's 21 PDF drawing to "2010" spec now. The base for this latest version of my Kep's .21 design is based on the boats me and Mikael Sundgren has raced in 2009. But do note, I have included some features on the new PDF that we have not actually used on our boats (yet) but we would build it like this if we would build a new boat right now...

Some of these features (not used by us so far) are:

1. The turnfin mount is finally changed from the 3-hole pattern that is originally from the Eagle SG .21. I made them like that because it was easier to get hold of an Eagle turn fin but that seems not exactly the case today... The new mount is way better with 4 mounts in the sponson and multiple holes in the turn fin to allow for a broad adjustment front to back.

2. The turn fin itself is also changed due to the fact that it now can be mounted further to the front.

3. Up until now I have also made my front sponsons with a pointy trailing edge but I think it will look better with a cut-off look instead.

No more "freebie" design - this is the race boat!

The original Kep's "freebie" I published in 2008 (downloaded more then 1000 times) was at that time an earlier design I had used... But I raced an slightly different version myself due to the fact I wanted the "freebie" to be tested etc. Most of the time here also the season is so short so when I have a design that I have tested and raced with it all becomes "last" years design so to speak. But the Kep's .21 RACE2010 rigger is actually a mix of the boat I race with myself including a couple of features that I have yet to put into my boat. This is up until today the best .21 rigger design I can publish as its the closest to my own 2010 race boat(s).

Here are some basic Kep's .21 RACE2010 specs:

After plane length: 530 mm (from rear tip of rear sponsons to trailing edge on front sponsons)

Sponson inside-to-inside width: 365 mm

Tub belly height (under motor): 17 mm

Tub inside width: 74 mm

Tub outside width: 86 mm

Tub sides height: 44 mm

Tub length: 707 mm

Total length: 749 mm (excluding strut and rudder)

Total width front sponsons: 43 mm (including 1 mm overhangs)

Front sponsons AoA: 3.5 deg

Rear sponsons AoA: 1.5 deg

Tank volume: aprox 250 ml

Motor axis: 5 mm off-set to the right

RTR weight (if you build it like me) aprox: 1750 gr

As my earlier Kep's boats the RACE2010 is prepared for the CMD engine mount bolt spacing and if you can get hold of them, the CMD hardware in general is among the best also.

As with most "engine-forward-with-exposed-running-gear-and-rear-sponsons" 21-sized rigger designs - the rear end needs to be quite light! You need to pay attention to not using heavy hardware and make the hardware you choose to use as light as possible also, especially the items that are the most rearwards... Use light servos, 5-cell hump-style AAA battery pack and in general - build it light!

As you can see I have designed it around the MAC .21 / CMB .21 Valvola type of in-line engine. If you want to you can of course use an car-engine based marine motor with a 180 deg header. The boat will work equally good of course. But as I like to build my boats quite tight (I dont like to waste space etc) this boat is not really that well suitable for the new CMB .21 VAC engine. See further down the page for and closer look on how tight it will be with that motor...

Kep's .21 RACE2010 info:

http://ne-stuff.blogspot.com/2010/05/keps-21-race-2010-outrigger.html

Happy building!

/Niklas

Keps21-RACE2010-logo.jpg

Keps21-RACE2010.gif

Keps21-RACE2010-tank.gif

Keps21-RACE2010-VAC-tight-fit.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the plans and reading the description on the NE-Stuff blog it references CMD hardware and so do the plans, does anyone have a good supplier of what would be needed for this outrigger? or running hardware that would work with this boat?

Thanks

Joe

Looking at the plans and reading the description on the NE-Stuff blog it references CMD hardware and so do the plans, does anyone have a good supplier of what would be needed for this outrigger? or running hardware that would work with this boat?

Thanks

Joe

Joe

I run the Speedmaster mini ruder it is liter than the CMDI. Also run a cut down Speedmaster sport 20 strut.

David

Back