German 1/4 scale gas tunnel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I can tell you this.........It won`t be long till you see one to follow........Mark my words....LOL

Right Hearl................?

Last edited by a moderator:

Theres 3 keep them coming. Thomas is that a home built boat??? looks good get some paint on her. How she run??

Later Gator
Yes, it's home built..WoF, speed on first testrun was not soo good..need to get the prop a bit higher.

will paint it soon..white or yellow

Thomas

NOTICE......A newbie! I think we will see some great abundance of the Tunnel class when all the kinks are worked out. I know I will be doing some serious work towards a very competitive machine. There are so many variables in what to build, and how to build it. I will be coming from a direction that should prove to be interesting. In the next 6 weeks I should have a machine that has been wet, and hopefully ready to race.

regards Eric

Steve....Teamwork will prevail.......

Guys, I just got an email from Peter here in Germany. I was supposed to go pick up 4 more boats this Saturday, but he has to fly to Portugal for work for a couple of weeks. I am going to have to pick them up after the race in April. This means I will NOT have any at the race, sorry to those who wanted to pick one up there.

Mike Allen, You are still on the list, was hoping to give you some news this weekend, but it will have to wait now.

Sorry guys, ~James

It is awfully funny to me if you remember a while back there where several guys/people getting the big gas tunnels heck James had awaiting list on them. And if you look at the view portion of this forum there have been like 50,000 views so that tells me that there seems to be alot of intrest in the big boats. Well my question is where are they surely there are more out there then 4 lets see them. Every one has seen ours now lets see every ones.
Our Aero Marine and Ossi F1 are running great. We have run them several times with little or no problems.They turn great and ballance out sweetly.

How about yours???
Hello Gator,

I have been testing my Ossi for two weeks now and cannot eliminate the "hooks". I see you boasting of smooth turns with your Ossi. Would you share with me your setup experience with your Ossi. Below is a complete synopsis of my experience so far. I've been running Tunnels for 13 years and this one has me stumped.

I am stumped trying to eliminate the dreaded "hooking" problem with my new 1/4 scale German made tunnel hull. I finally got the motor up high enough (thanks to Fred) and have it running straight, smooth at a good attitude at 46 mph. Good attitude and trim. Now the problem, it will not turn at all (I mean even a small amount) without hooking / spinning out. In order to turn it without spinning out you have to drop to approx 10 mph. Even at that speed it is touchy turning. I don' see the front dropping abnormally during turning either. I have 2 monster servos (332 oz/in per servo on 6 volts) ganged together, 2200 mah 6v 5 cell battery, carbon fiber push rods, so the steering is rock solid and not flexing. I have run neutral, positive and negative prop thrust and none of these changes affected the problem. Also raised and lowered the lower unit at these various settings. Also tried different props, lifting and non-lifting. All made no difference in this hooking problem.

The only thing I have not done that I maybe should have is to add weight to move the CG forward. The CG is at 10 inches from the rear of the sponsons. By standard setup rules (CG should be set between 28 and 33 % of sponson length from rear) it should be at 17 or 18 inches. To get it that far forward I will have to add 5 1/2 pounds of weight. With no weight added the boat is already 23 1/2 pounds.

Is the rearward CG causing this problem? Oh, also this hull does not have "anti-dip pads" underneath up front like most modern hulls. Do I need to add some?

If not, my theory is that the pivot point of the lower unit is to far behind (5 inches) the rear edge of the sponsons and that the prop (providing the thrust) is 14 inches behind the transom. This hull has a transom pad that sticks out 3 inches behind the rear of the sponsons. When I compare this boat/lower unit physically to all of the other good handling hulls I have (measurements are inches from rear of sponson),

SL = Sponson Length

HTB 360 (36 in sponsons) W/LAWLESS, pivot pin = 0 in / 0% of SL; prop = 5.5 in. / 15 % of SL

HTB 360 (36 in sponsons) W/K&B lower, pivot pin - 1 in / 2.5 % of SL; prop = 6 in. / 17 % of SL

Aerotech (35 inch sponsons) W/Lawless, pivot pin = 0 / 0% of SL, prop = 7 in. / 20 % of SL

Ossi (49 inch sponsons) W/Lawless, pivot pin = 5 in / 10.2%, prop = 14 in. / 28 % of SL

the proportions are way out of line. I think this is putting the thrust line of the motor so far behind that it is pushing the rear of the hull sideways excessively.

Do either of you know anyone running the Ossi Hull and Lawless Gas Lower combination without this problem? If so refer me to them so I can ask them what they have experienced. I am a 24 hours away from cutting the transom off and rebuilding it flush or even recessed a bit, to fix my problem. Any help, advice, opinions will be gladly accepted.

Thanks,

James Beasley (Tennessee born, calling from VA)

It is awfully funny to me if you remember a while back there where several guys/people getting the big gas tunnels heck James had awaiting list on them. And if you look at the view portion of this forum there have been like 50,000 views so that tells me that there seems to be alot of intrest in the big boats. Well my question is where are they surely there are more out there then 4 lets see them. Every one has seen ours now lets see every ones.
Our Aero Marine and Ossi F1 are running great. We have run them several times with little or no problems.They turn great and ballance out sweetly.

How about yours???
Hello Gator,

I have been testing my Ossi for two weeks now and cannot eliminate the "hooks". I see you boasting of smooth turns with your Ossi. Would you share with me your setup experience with your Ossi. Below is a complete synopsis of my experience so far. I've been running Tunnels for 13 years and this one has me stumped.

I am stumped trying to eliminate the dreaded "hooking" problem with my new 1/4 scale German made tunnel hull. I finally got the motor up high enough (thanks to Fred) and have it running straight, smooth at a good attitude at 46 mph. Good attitude and trim. Now the problem, it will not turn at all (I mean even a small amount) without hooking / spinning out. In order to turn it without spinning out you have to drop to approx 10 mph. Even at that speed it is touchy turning. I don' see the front dropping abnormally during turning either. I have 2 monster servos (332 oz/in per servo on 6 volts) ganged together, 2200 mah 6v 5 cell battery, carbon fiber push rods, so the steering is rock solid and not flexing. I have run neutral, positive and negative prop thrust and none of these changes affected the problem. Also raised and lowered the lower unit at these various settings. Also tried different props, lifting and non-lifting. All made no difference in this hooking problem.

The only thing I have not done that I maybe should have is to add weight to move the CG forward. The CG is at 10 inches from the rear of the sponsons. By standard setup rules (CG should be set between 28 and 33 % of sponson length from rear) it should be at 17 or 18 inches. To get it that far forward I will have to add 5 1/2 pounds of weight. With no weight added the boat is already 23 1/2 pounds.

Is the rearward CG causing this problem? Oh, also this hull does not have "anti-dip pads" underneath up front like most modern hulls. Do I need to add some?

If not, my theory is that the pivot point of the lower unit is to far behind (5 inches) the rear edge of the sponsons and that the prop (providing the thrust) is 14 inches behind the transom. This hull has a transom pad that sticks out 3 inches behind the rear of the sponsons. When I compare this boat/lower unit physically to all of the other good handling hulls I have (measurements are inches from rear of sponson),

SL = Sponson Length

HTB 360 (36 in sponsons) W/LAWLESS, pivot pin = 0 in / 0% of SL; prop = 5.5 in. / 15 % of SL

HTB 360 (36 in sponsons) W/K&B lower, pivot pin - 1 in / 2.5 % of SL; prop = 6 in. / 17 % of SL

Aerotech (35 inch sponsons) W/Lawless, pivot pin = 0 / 0% of SL, prop = 7 in. / 20 % of SL

Ossi (49 inch sponsons) W/Lawless, pivot pin = 5 in / 10.2%, prop = 14 in. / 28 % of SL

the proportions are way out of line. I think this is putting the thrust line of the motor so far behind that it is pushing the rear of the hull sideways excessively.

Do either of you know anyone running the Ossi Hull and Lawless Gas Lower combination without this problem? If so refer me to them so I can ask them what they have experienced. I am a 24 hours away from cutting the transom off and rebuilding it flush or even recessed a bit, to fix my problem. Any help, advice, opinions will be gladly accepted.

Thanks,

James the set up I am running is with the GMorty foot but there should not be that much difference in the over all set up. First thing you should do is to correct your CG it needs to be at 33% arount 14"to 17" from rear of sponcens. Second of all I would not corect that by adding so much weight to the front. My radio box is up under the front cowling but not at the very nose.We are using 1/5 scale servos also. I tell you the Biggest thing is learning how to drive these big boats and NO they DO NOT drive any thing like the smaller ones.Now do not get me wrong mine does not turn perfect every time but the more I drive it the more I learn. With the big boats you have to 1st SET IT THEN DRIVE IT THRUE THE TURNS and when i say set it do not mean let completely out of the throtle just enough to set the front sponcens it's kinda hard to exsplain but like I tell my brother just roll out at the turn then roll back into it thrue the turn. Any how The first thing I would do is get the CG correct I will be glad to help you out in a couple of weeks at the race.

Later Gator

How about yours???
Hello Gator,

SL = Sponson Length

Thanks,

JAMES, could you show pictures of your boat, please?

James I see where you tried to send me an e-mail but it did not go thrue. Title was measurements please. I will have to measure but I believe mine runs around 14 to 17 some where in there I could be wrong I will measure tonight. Another thing I was wrong about is CG should be 30% not 33% from the rear of sponcens

Later Gator

How about yours???
Hello Gator,

SL = Sponson Length

Thanks,

Pictures attached, James

Gas_Boat_0308_037.JPG

Gas_Boat_0308_038.JPG

Gas_Boat_0308_040.JPG

I was asking for the measurements of your lower unit pivot pin and prop hub front face from the rear of your sponsons? Wanted to compare yours to mine that I posted. Here are some more pics of my mechanics. Thanks, James

How about yours???
Hello Gator,

SL = Sponson Length

Thanks,

Gas_Boat_0308_040.JPG

Gas_Boat_0308_046.JPG

Hi all, I found the special radiobox for our 1/4 tunnel.
Go to http://www.zippkits.com/.

Just, I'm waiting for this radio box, to start ..... :D
Hi Carlos, Do you think that this radio box fits in an Ossi`s 1/4 scale? I am still waiting for my Tunnel to comes, so I do not know the measurement of the inside of the Tunnel! Thanks Pal. B) <_<

~~~`Winston`~~~

James I see where you tried to send me an e-mail but it did not go thrue. Title was measurements please. I will have to measure but I believe mine runs around 14 to 17 some where in there I could be wrong I will measure tonight. Another thing I was wrong about is CG should be 30% not 33% from the rear of sponcens
Later Gator

I posted pictures of my Ossi, what you think Gator? I would still like the measurements I asked about.

Thanks, James Beasley "rcmaniac6"

Later Gator

I posted pictures of my Ossi, what you think Gator? I would still like the measurements I asked about.

Thanks, James Beasley "rcmaniac6"

James I appoligize for not replying sooner but I have not been working in the office. Boat looks good but as mentioned before your radio box needs to be futher forward in my opinnion. I will get you those measurements.

Later Gator

Where are you guys finding pipes for these? I know James had some Quick Draw ones but he's unavailable till April

Thanks

Kevin

Back