Fuel Pumps?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClayGlover

Hoping to get recommendations for a fuel pump that doesn't break within 20 uses. i've tried hand crank types and electric types and i must have bad luck or i'm to rough with them because they just seem to fail way to fast. as you know, after packing everything up, driving, and getting all set up at the lake, then having a necessary thing screw up, it's more the hassle of not being able to run anymore that day if i don't have a backup fueler than the $$$ wasted ??? there's got to be some that work reliably out there? i've seen a few guys using an electric type that screws on the top of the jug? any advice is appreciated... :)

oh yeah, i highly recommend not wasting your dough on hanger 9 fuel pumps of any kind :-

I’ve had similar problems up until a couple of years ago when I got the Dave Brown Six-Shooter. For a while it seemed like I was buying a new pump every other month. It’s not for the lazy folk since it does need an operator, but it does move the fuel and there aren’t any real parts to break.

Ditto,

Go with the Dave Brown units.

They pump the fuel real quick too.

No batteries to worry about either... ;D

Chris

Yep, go with the Dave Brown. I've had mine for 8 years and only had replace the hose inside about 2 months ago.

I have had my "six shooter" for almost 20yrs (hasn't been used much :) ((damb I feel old! :p )). I had to replace the fuel line that drops into the tank, but the pump has been great.

just got my six shooter 2 months ago on ebay it was 4 years old and just go the tube replaced before i bought it so i think i am good it pumps fuel real quick seems like 7 times around the circle and it filled and ready to go and thats w/ my 10 oz tank and 3 oz hopper

Yep,

Dave Brown 6 shooter is the only way to go.......... Shame they are hand crank pumps though :p

Tim.

ok. i think i see why they are more reliable, no gears and seals to break. looks mechanically similar to a medical peristaltic pump. it's got a rubber hose in a channel, and has like 3 bumps on the wheel that press down the tube as it turns, right? the liquid never really touches anything but the tubing. thanks, i'll try one

"Yeah go with the Dave Brown pump." This is a statement from guys who have never try to fill the tanks on a twin 90. I have found that the other pumps have a tendency to lock up when you leave the fuel in the line. After I am done filling the tank I always pump the fuel back into the jug. I think that the fuel eats at the pump. I have had no locked up pumps since I started doing this.

Mike

By the way, I do carry a Six Shooter just incase.

Yep, it is a peristaltic pump ;D no moving parts actually come in contact with the fuel. I use one also.

~ James

"Yeah go with the Dave Brown pump." This is a statement from guys who have never try to fill the tanks on a twin 90.
I have - it's not fun. Someone should make an electric conversion for the 6 shooter - how good would that be!

I was told a volvo truck windscreen water pump has brass gears and works quite well, but I have never tried it myself. I dont really like the operation of the six shooter pumps, but I cant think of the name of they type I use now! :-[

I flush it out with metho after a days use tho. And I dont use very high nitro fuels...

Nitrocrazed racing: It takes me just about as long to fuel up the X mono as it takes to use the fuel....

well, by the sound of it, if you could find a way to fit a larger ID tube around the wheel inside, you would increase the flow volume with each crank. the larger the ID, the higher the volume that will get pushed through each turn. has anyone tried that? :- :)

I've heard that about any German car windshield washer pump will handle nitro, not any American ones though. I have a Six Shooter for a backup and 2 electric pumps, both junky Hobbico's. They have a U-joint type of thing in there between the motor and pump that always comes apart.

I've been using the same Sonic-Tronics Mark 10 electric pump for several years without problems. Hangar 9 hand crank for when the field battery dies.

I've heard that about any German car windshield washer pump will handle nitro.
That's right , but only if the brand = VDO ,metalgear...

I buy them at a scrapyard.(BMW-Merc.)

Use them with the motor up and the gears downwards , to prevent fuel leakage from gears into motor.

If you can find a good 12v gear motor with an output of about 15-20 rpm the 6-shooter can be converted to electric. I did one about 25 years ago. Sounded like a coffee grinder with irritable bowel syndrome. Used it for about 15 years and got tired of lugging the extra battery, etc. and went back to the crank. Gave it to a friend. Last I heard it is still being used.

Back