Long drill bits

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Hughes

Vendor
I have had a few friends that were machinist over the years that have gifted me a bunch of long drill bits. They all are very useful to some extend when you want to drill a bulkhead in a hull. What I have found more often than not is they are not going to work for what I am trying to do. So I came up with a few other ideas since there was nothing on the market or if it was, way too expensive.
Here is a shot of the assortment.

20220304_183801.jpg

Below is what I use the most to do any drilling in the tub. Usually for water pic up tubes. I run these the full length of the tub. I dont like having fuel tubing in my radio box. Just another item to fail. With a 3/16 SS tube, that will never happen. The pic of the tubing is actually a drill bit that I made. I use the tubing itself and cut teeth into the end of the tubing with a dremel wheel. See pic below. Chuck it in a drill and run slow while guiding with your hand inside the tub.

20220304_183845.jpg]

When I dont have access thru the end of the tub to use the long straight tubing trick, I use something like the other item pictured below. It is just a piece of brass tubing that I taped to the end of the drill bit. This allows it to run at an angle so you can go in thru the top of the deck. I use duck tape and build it up quite thick. Sometimes it breaks if the angle is a lot. Not a big deal, as I have lots of duct tape laying round.

20220304_183904.jpg

Cut teeth on end of 3/16x 3' tubing pic. This trick will also work for brass tubing.

20220304_183942.jpg

Last edited:
Back