Composit 3.5 lower unit

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:D HEY YALL : HERE IS THE LATEST ON THE NEW LOWER UNIT , SO FAR WE NOW HAVE 1 HR & 29 MIN, RUN TIME . AND NO PROBLEMS HAVE SHOWEN ITS UGLY FACE . THE ONE THING WE WERE CONCERNED ABOUT WAS THE TURNING, AS WE HAD REDUCED THE SKEG AREA TO GET AWAY FROM THE RADICAL ( QUICK ) TURNING THAT THE OTHER UNITS HAVE . MAN DOES THIS BABY TURN SMOOTH WITH OUT ANY GLITCHES , WE ARE GOING TO MAKE TWO MINER CHANGES THAT HAVE NOTHYNG TO DO WITH THE PERFORMACE , I FEEL WE HAVE A WINNER , AS MOST OF YOU KNOW I WILL NOT RELEASE ANY THING UNTIL I PERSONALLY FELL IT IS CORRECT .

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ,FEEL FREE TO CALL . 1-765-747-4190

9.00AM/4.30PM JAMES IRWIN

GOD BLESS :rolleyes:

Jim,

Great work.

I think you should get a few out there in the hands of reliable sources to help get some time on it. Like Mercury does with there new stuff in the hands of pro fishermen and guides. Only with the stipulation that they keep all the test results to themselves and report to you with what they have learned. Some people a little rough on parts than others.

Just some of my thoughts.

Alan....

Daddy Sundown

I've been trying to get one out of James for month's now !!!! :D

:p " Still not quiet yet !!!! Will let you know as soon as possible !!!! " :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mike

You said something about the 7 deg"s on the lower unit. Jim and I have been testing this unit and it going to work very will. The enigne is lower and this will help with the top heavyness.

Hey all

Just seen the new lower unit today looks great Jim.

Time will tell but looks like it will be a winner.

bbhawker

I also forgot to add and Jim reminded me, I did not put any holes in the prop shaft area, I figured if someone felt they are needed, then they can put in their own holes. From the report I have gotten from Jim, the shaft is retaining the lube better since there are no holes. So far all reports are good. I asked Jim if he had tried his baddest engine, he had and said he had no problems. :D My hopes are that this engine can breath new life to the stock class. When I owned a hobby shop, the stock OB class was always a logical place to stear a new person who wanted to get into racing. It was a class you could build a boat for that didn't cost an arm and leg, still go fast and be competitive. I feel it is easier to get new people into this hobby if they feel they don't have to spend a $1000 to build a boat to run. It's easy to buy the latest and greatest engine, boat ,etc... to go racing, but I think some have lost perspective, it's not like we have sponsors to foot the bill. I can't see spending $500 for an .21 OB engine setup even when I can afford too. Think how those just getting into this hobby feel and then consider why we are not see much growth. Enough of my rant. :blink: I hope that I have been able to produce a quality lower unit that will have the track record that K&B has had and that teaming up with Jim will produce some out standing engines.

Richard Konnen

This may be the "dumb" question of the day but will a K&B mount to this without an adapter?

On a side note, be sure to thank a U.S. Veteran today or at least, remember those who gave their lives so we can be free.

Snowdog

Seeing how all after market manufacturers made their engine fit the K&B foot and that we are trying to give every one another replacement, I would say yes, they will fit.

Richard

:D hey snow dog , yes tha mounting plate will fit the k&b mounting , the lawless is the only one i know of that will use a seperate mounting plate , the lawless is what i have used for yrs , it is also a very good unit . god bless :rolleyes:

Propjocky, er I guess it's pregnant. :p Kidding aside, that's Jim Irwins new stock muffler. And that's Jim's new lower unit. I'll let Jim explain. How bout it Jim?

View attachment 2553

HI JACK , WELL I WILL TRY . YES THE STK MUFF YOU SEE IS THE NEW MUFF FOR US . IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS PREGNET ,?? BECAUSE YOU NEED THE VOLUME TO MAKE IT PERFORM RIGHT . AND PERFORM IT DOES . ALSO IT IS NOT A TUNED PIPE , YOU WOULD NOT BELEIVE HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE BEEN ASK THAT . IT IS ONLY 3 INCHES LONG , HOW CAN YOU TUNE IN JUST A 3 INCH LENGHT ? YOU CAN NOT .( THE MUFF IN THE PIC IS A HAND BUILT PROTO TYP )

THE LOWER UNIT NOW HAS 9 PLUS HRS OF TESTING . NO PROBLEMS AS OF YET . I THINK THE MOST SIGNIFICANT THING IS THE DRIVE ASSY , WITH NO VENT HOLES TO ALLOW THE OIL TO ESCAPE THE DRIVE IS AS GOOD AS WHEN IT WAS PUT IN , WE HOPE TO HAVE THIS READY IN ABOUT THREE TO FOUR WKS . JAMES IRWIN

GOD BLESS ;)

Think I hooked a large mouth Bass with that profile before :lol:

Joke'n aside, think these are the pics that Mikie Z has been wait'n for, he usually checks in bout lunch time,

Gene :D

Latest posts

Back