Composit 3.5 lower unit

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rek

This is a new composit lower unit for the 3.5 I've been working on. Jim Irwin and I are trying to negotiate a power head that will make this a complete engine. The lower unit with out any hardware weighs about 1.66oz. It is being test and we will keep you posted on progress. Richard Konnen

MVC-010F.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It uses a .150 cable. But we do seem to have a possability that a .187 will work and we may offer that as an optional lower end.

As far as pricing:We are trying to keep pricing similar to what the retail was for K&B lower units.

As for angling the engine , it is angled 7deg., it is also 1/4" shorter between the hindge and cavitation plate so the engine does not need to be mounted as high as a K&B. It is also 5/8" longer in relation to the distance from the prop shaft seat to the hindge pin. Almost forgot, the cavitation plate distance to prop center is .850, just a tad higher than a K&B. We also provided a mounting hole for a pipe mount.

Has anyone ever thought or tested with a lower unit that has an edge that comes off of where the cable goes to slice the water a little more. Im thinking mabe just a little under 1/4".

Also on that lower unit do you have any type of self oiler system to keep it oiled?

You have to remember that very little of the lower unit is in the water, so I don't think an addition to slice the water is needed. The oiling system most anyone can build. John Equi said the best and easiest is to use a 2oz fuel tank for the oil, put a needle valve between the tank and the oil hole on the lower unit and just tee off the pressure lineto help pressure the oil tank. Then just adjust the needle so the oil last an entire heat.

I'm surpized no one brought up the OPS powerhead,

So how's it workin for ya?

Gene :D

HEY OUTBOARDMAN; TO GIVE YOU AN ANSWER FOR YOUR OILING QUESTION ? YES THERE IS A MEANS TO OIL , THERE IS AN OIL HOLE IN THE TOP PLATE THAT LEADS TO A ;ARGER HLE DRECTLY UNDER THE BOTOM BEARING FOR THE PTO . YOU MAY USE THIS HOLE OR DO AS KEP SAYS TO DO . I NOW HAVE APPROX, 1 HR RUNNING WITH NO PROBLEMS , THIS IS A PROD THAT COMES OUT OF NASA LABS THAT WAS RECOMENED BY MY BROTHER WHO WAS OVER NASA , THIS MATL. IS USED ON THE RENTRY CAPSULS . VERY STRONG AND VERY DURABLE ALSO VERY LIGHT . OILING SEEMES TO BE A BIG PROBLEM WHEN IT SHOULD NOT ? YOU MUST USE A PRODUCT THAT WILL LUBRICATE THE INNER CABELS IF YOU DO NOT THEY WILL RUST AND BREAK. THE ONL :) Y THING I WILL RECOMMEND IS A MIXTURE OF STP OIL TRETMENT AND A LIGHT OIL I LIKE TRANSMISSION FLUID, I PT OF STP TO A QT OF TRANS. FLUID.

YOU SAY WHY STP?? STP BECOMES 50 % SLICKER WHEN IT COMES IN COTACT WITH WATER . CHK IT OUT , PUT SOME ON YOUR FINGER , RUB THEM TOGETHER , THEN PUT YOUR FINGER IN WATER AND TRY IT AGAIN. LOL GOD BLESS B)

:eek: PS : I DID NOT MEAN THE OILING ABOVE WAS A PROBLEM WITH THE LOWER UNIT, THAT WAS JUST TO ANSEWR AN AGE OLD PROBLEM THAT SOME PEOPLE STILL HAVE , I HAVE NEVER BROKEN A CABLE IN ALL THE YRS I HAVE USED THE ABOVE IOLING . I HAVE WORE THEM OUT , BUT HAVE NEVER BROKEN ONE . LOL GOD BLESS

The OPS power head is one that I have converted, I haven't run this one yet. Jim has many irons in the fire as far as the power head is concerned. We have many manufactures to test and then negotiate with as fare as what changes and of cource price is concerned. This venture keeps openning many possabilities. I think this is going to keep Jim busier than the tuned pipes.

Are you going to offer the foot seperatly? if you are, do you have a potential time of release yet?

The foot will be sold separatly. We hope to have it available this July. But we will not release it till we are satisfied that it will give the performance that is required for racing.

Have you ever tryed to hold a wizzer 7deg off center?

It dont like it..

Hope this works out well. i think it will.. It looks like a lot of thought and money went in to it..

Great job.

Mike

Rek,

Is this going to be compatible with existing hardware from other lower units ie. flex-shafts & prop shafts or is one going to required to purchase hardware that works only with your system?

Snowdog

Currently we are using a K&B prop shaft and Jim said that a long K&B flex shaft fits. We will be coming out with a prop shaft of our own that is 1/4" longer in the bushing area to provide better prop shaft support. This will probably require a new flex shaft.

Rek,

If I can use most of the hardware that I currently have than sign me up. They look SWEEEEEEET!

Snowdog

Latest posts

Back