• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Boats For Sale Chris Doherty scam

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about this....both IMPBA and NAMBA has web sites and newsletters.....put a fraud alert with some identification pics of some sort on the web sites... so everyone has a chance to know and possibly spot this person....it's just not a simple Ooops is suckered you...it's a ongoing affair....
He's most likely NOT a boater...just a scammer

Thanks Don for trying to stay on top of this problem/thread. IA provides a great opportunity for us to share and sell our boating stuff, lets hope this thread sends a message about what some people will do to take advantage of a good thing. Merry Xmas to all!!

Ok, I just called the Carteret NJ Police Department. They want each of you to file a report with your local PD. After you do that, your PD will contact them for assistance. If your local PD asks if you're willing to prosecute, the answer is yes. If you say no or anything about just wanting your money back, they won't investigate. Let's keep this thread going with everybody's progress. I just checked mapquest. I live 411 miles from Carteret NJ. I have no problem driving there to testify. I know most of you guys are further away and that might not be an option.

His info is:
Bryan Daniel Calabrese
17 Vermont Ave
Carteret NJ 07008
609-373-9275
[email protected]

You will also notice that 'Brian Calabrese' is also a member in here who joined earlier this year several months before the 'Chris Doherty' member joined (same person)

Here is another page I found that I sent Fred that shows a lot about him .
Bryan Daniel Calabrese, (609) 373-9275, Carteret — Public Records Instantly
Bryan Daniel Calabrese is a resident of NJ. Lookup the home address and phone 6093739275 and other contact details for this person
clustrmaps.com
clustrmaps.com

Last edited:
Sorry to post a lot I am just so mad about this.. Had barely any money in the bank to buy these and just did it because i needed them and it was such a good deal to finish my boats. Now i need a 26 pum and a outboard still and now no money really until spring . Sorry just needing to vent. Son said it was 48 gallons of gas and 1448 miles to get to his house lol.

All,

I just have to say that I find it beyond interesting that the very technology that people use to scam us will probably be what catches them.

It’s virtually impossible to hide anymore, and you are ignorant if you think you can.

I give everything the benefit of the doubt & nothing would make me happier than for that Picco 45 to show up on my porch in the next day or two, but I don’t think it’s gonna happen.

Let’s stick tight on this one folks and see it through.

Regards & Happy Holidays !!

Ronnie King
NAMBA #1223

Roast him , enough of this crap .
You will also notice that 'Brian Calabrese' is also a member in here who joined earlier this year several months before the 'Chris Doherty' member joined (same person)
The 67 CMB I bought from Chris Doherty actually came from Bryan Calabrese. His address is as listed by Fred
Virgil Ericksen

I feel bad for all of those who have been scammed and for the administrators that struggle to stop this sort of abuse of it's forum and it's members. The idea of posting "for sale" photos containing a notice that lists the date, location and phone number of the seller (to prevent false photos being used) is something that members can choose to do now of their own volition. Other members can then make up their own mind as to whether to respond to any ads from members that they don't know - particularly if the ad doesn't contain this information.

I feel bad for all of those who have been scammed and for the administrators that struggle to stop this sort of abuse of it's forum and it's members. The idea of posting "for sale" photos containing a notice that lists the date, location and phone number of the seller (to prevent false photos being used) is something that members can choose to do now of their own volition. Other members can then make up their own mind as to whether to respond to any ads from members that they don't know - particularly if the ad doesn't contain this information.

I believe the new owners of the IW forum no longer everybody posting their names .....I personally thought that to be a bad move.....🤨 that sets up the forum ripe for possible fraud....
Just a thought .....
Nobody on the forum should be able to hide in obscurity......
Require everyone on the forum to fill out a short IW bio with a photo of their drivers license..... kind of like a voter a ID requirement....
If they will not do that then they shouldn't be on or remain on the forum....simple as that....
This approach takes the monkey off the back of the admin and moderators and puts it right on the back of the people using the forum.....right where it should be.....The forum users should play an active part in protecting the sandbox they play in.....
In my opinion this problem could be addressed pro-actively not re-actively....

Hi Rod - the idea of posting a notice to "prove" the artice for sale is real (and not just a google photo) was not mine but was mentioned earlier in this thread. I agree with you in essence that anybody selling at the moment should be prepared to establish their "bona fides" as a genuine seller so I wanted to promote that idea. I am not sure I would go as far you indicate for all members.
Cheers
Gary

When I was flying helis I was on a site called RunRyder. Everybody, sellers and buyers have a feed back section. When you do a transaction you always ask the other person involved to leave feedback on the deal. So then before you do anything with someone you have never met you get a since of who your dealing with.
Most of you won’t like my second comment but PP has you covered. When you list something for sale you should include the PP fees or when sending money pay the fees so you have some recourse if the deal goes south. I just had this happen to me with a guy that would not return my calls or text. I filed a complaint with PP and got my $$ within a few days. I know everyone wants a deal, me included but you need to cover your own ——— no one else will.

Back