• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Boats For Sale Chris Doherty scam

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you mentioned this, went and did some further digging. While his provider has floating IPs (typical these days) I think this shows some of what you are asking....
View attachment 298670View attachment 298671View attachment 298672
Those look more like MAC addresses,, which could be the MAC ID of the router or Computer he logged on with. IE: cell phone, laptop, desktop.

Thing is they ARE from the same piece of equipment associated with both names, so yeah, I am willing to bet they are the same person with dual accounts on I/W..

Typically IP addresses are laid out like this:
MAC ID's are hexadecimal..

Those look more like MAC addresses,, which could be the MAC ID of the router or Computer he logged on with. IE: cell phone, laptop, desktop.

Thing is they ARE from the same piece of equipment associated with both names, so yeah, I am willing to bet they are the same person with dual accounts on I/W..

Typically IP addresses are laid out like this:
MAC ID's are hexadecimal..

those are IPv6 address'

One thing I can tell you. I sent a boat part to a buddy in New Hampshire. Actually two packages on the same day at the same time. 2 separate boxes going to the same address. One he received the next day. The second for some reason went from my place in Maine to New Jersey back to New Hampshire. If I didn’t see it, I wouldn’t have believed it. So to say something wound up rerouted has happened but this guy clearly ripped off a bunch of people right before Christmas is very sad!! There’s no excuse for that!

I get where you are coming from. Your package may have shipped to a hub in NJ then back to NH. I know that doesn't make sense but it happens. Back in the day every package through FedEx (when it was Federal Express) had to go through the hub in Memphis. If it was shipping from your house to your neighbor next door it still had to cross state lines then back. Crazy but true. A lot of laws had to change over the years in order to change how the movement of packages takes place. I could see the package going from Missouri to NJ through Memphis possibly but not through Alabama , but stranger things have happened. I have plenty of experience in this as I have been an employee of FedEx Express for more than 29 years. I'm not dismissing you or anyone else about how packages travel or where they end up, because **** happens and I have seen some crazy things, but I thought using a pissed off FedEx Ground employee who dumped packages in a ravine as an excuse a bit much. Another reason not to trust him.

There is a similar process with USPS. When a clerk takes your PKG at the counter the PKG is then put in a comp for a region of the country by zip code. If its a big PO there may be several regional comps or if it is a small PO, the packages would go to a bigger PO for sorting. What can happen is at a big city airport with planes going all over the country one of your 2 parcels going to the same address gets on a plane going to the wrong region. This should not happen because of the bar code on your package which you hope gets scanned and is sent to the right destination. But this problem does happen . If you look on line you can see where your pkg was last scanned and so on. The system does not lie, you will see your pkg you mailed in NY to FL and ask why was it sent to LA and then to FL.

All, I stumbled across this thread and wanted to add information about my encounter with "[email protected]" and "[email protected]".

I'm the guy that makes the Solid Flex Drives.

Last March [email protected] contacted me looking for a drive setup for an ML Boatworks 1/8 scale Winston with a CMB 67. In total this person ordered around $250 worth of Solid Flex and Speedmaster parts. He asked me to send a Paypal invoice to "[email protected]". I did and the invoice was paid. The name in Paypal showed as "Bryan Calabres" (note this spelling...it is not a typo).

After payment he asked me to ship to:
"Chris Doherty"
17 Vermont ave
Carteret, NJ 07008

He said that was his mom's house and would be a more secure delivery than his condo.

Parts were delivered, he sent me follow up emails about him needing another stuffing tube due to mis-measurement on his part. I even gave him a discount on the replacement.

In mid May I get a notice from Paypal that the transaction on the first shipment (~$235) was being disputed. Paypal's message was, "We are writing to let you know one of your buyers opened a case for this transaction. The buyer stated that they did not authorize this purchase."

I provided PP all the emails showing that the parts were ordered, shipped and received. Despite all the documentation the final outcome was, "We received notice from your buyer's financial institution that Case ID PP-D-112812463 has been decided in the buyer's favor. However, because you’re a valued customer, we’re not debiting your PayPal account for the disputed amount."

When I emailed [email protected] about the dispute he claimed not to have filed it and said his account was not refunded.

Then I got an email from [email protected] in November asking for a quote on a setup for a Zipp Missile :rolleyes:.

Anyway, I can't say I know for sure who is behind these email addresses, but it seems unlikely that the person on the forums is a victim of identity theft. And I'd be ultra cautious in dealings with these user names and address. Even though I did everything by the book (not using Paypal F&F) it was still somehow settled in the buyer's favor....but fortunately not at my direct expense. I did cost me several hours to dig up and provide all the correspondence, and cases like these are at least part of what Paypal fees go to cover....in other words, this costs us all.

Brent Byers
[email protected]

Sorry this happened to you. It never ceases to amaze me what people try and pull off. I'm sure that I can speak for everyone here by saying we appreciate you taking the time to post this information.

I listed some outboards I currently don't need but not one offer. I have the same initials as this Chris Doherty guy but I'm not him. I'll provide proof thru facebook or give my cell number out to prove it. I would be skeptical too considering how close my name is to his. Bad Timing I guess..lol. I'll ebay them if I have to but I thought I would give this forum chance to help get someone into tunnel boating. You guys were so helpful to me in the beginning including Ron shaw and Mike (Grimracer). I hate scammers and hope someone crosses paths with this fool.

Not sure that is it. Writing is on the wall with outboards. The classes are dying. I sold my B stk Shaman not too long ago. Going to hold onto the Lynx until it dies and then move on from outboards.
Mike

Back