• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Boats For Sale Chris Doherty scam

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rod
You’re probably right. However I still would not post my DL in RC boat forum.
Look folks, there is no perfect system. I wouldn't ask people to post a DL pic anyways, like to think the vast majority of us are better than that. It's happened before, it happened now, and guess what? It's gonna happen again. Scammers are getting better all the time. About 6 months ago I got smoked for $450 on a firearm transaction (1st time I'd fallen for a scam), I checked thoroughly (or so I thought) everything looked 100% legit, the most polished scam I've ever seen, they even had a licensed FFL shop in on it (I did report that to the ATF). All I can suggest is 3 basic things-

1- look at the members I/W history
2- look at the members selling history
3- if you don't know the person, not had previous buy/sell experience or another member saying "yeah he/she is ok" don't send PP as F&F.

And remember even paying with PP "buyer protection" there is no guarantee they will side with you.

We I/W folks as a whole are a pretty good lot of people in terms of honest transactions. Yeah sometimes people are slow to ship, weak with communication and such but all in all we are doing about as good as we can.

Personally don’t see why sellers shouldn’t have to use a payment service that isn’t protected? PayPal goods/ services only. Venmo, CashApp and PayPal F&F offer no buyer or seller protection. Money orders/ checks are at least trackable as well.
Been multiple possible scammers on here recently to the point that some extra protection is needed.
Problem is the crooks are also making fake money orders.

I have my doubts that he is innocent in all this. The paypal was Dan Doherty which I think was Dana his mom before you hit send. and it had both him Bryan and Christine's emails on the paypal after you hit amount and click next. all the names go right along with the public history page I shared.

And he was just asking about the pipe length for the zip pipe and 26pum lasy friday night for his zippkits order that was coming he said he was waiting on. He said he had been waiting 15 days on his order and that it was just slow getting to me also because of the busy season.. I just know that one member talked to him on the phone and said he seemed nice but if you read all his posts since join they all sound a little weird. He told me he had raced k&b with dumas hot shots and won a lot of races against os outboards when I bought that one. and that they were overpriced. I don't know I have a hard time trusting he just was hacked.

He did act funny even in messages when I was asking about tracking saying he was going to get it from his wife and send it . He was almost getting annoyed that I kept asking for tracking saying that he heard of some shipments on fedex getting thrown in a ravine. I think he just took the money and ran. hope he enjoys his new zip boat. And all of our money.

He even asked what size ball links I needed when I said hey if your scrapping that boat send me the cables and ends off it and send with the outboard. He replies buys in bulk and asked if I wanted 2/56 or 4/40 and said he would send me some with the os outboard. It just is such a mind circle of confusion all of the things he said once he got payment. So he definitely knew about end sizes and other things he said so It wasn't a Nigerian or something I was talking to.

I am now just trying to figure out what gas engine is best bang for the buck and get one ordered before Zenoah raises there prices in January. Heck he charged me 160 for that 26Pum engine and being a noob at gas motors I didn't even see that gizmo had them for 184.00 I should have just bought it from giz instead and would have for sure got it . But who could have known he would never send it..

I feel bad for all the guys on here because still every day coming home from cleaning I am looking at the porch still hoping kind of to see the packages on the step. sucks.

Another thing that makes me question him, as I have been reading these post and have no fight in the game, is that he blames FedEx. Yes there was a disgruntled employee that had thrown packages down a ravine but that took place in Alabama. If I'm correct you are in Missouri and If he is in New Jersey so there is no way that your package would have gone through Alabama. Just adds to the fact that he can't be trusted. I read through the buy/sell thread last night and saw where a lot of members were waiting on products from him and then I read this thread. I would definitely avoid doing business with him.

Problem is the crooks are also making fake money orders.

They also make fake cashiers checks. For local transactions you need to meet at the buyers bank and have the cashier issue the check in person while you are there. That way they can't give you a fake check. I did that when I sold my boat a few years ago.

Well folks I'm done exerting any more energy in seeing if this was a case of identity theft. I offered up my email addy, FB messenger and direct contact thru IW via the vendor who Bryan Calabrese told his identity theft story to, he forwarded that to me and is as follows-

Thank you for your advise the problem is my passwords were changed when my laptop got hacked to get into the site and this isn't the only site whoever doing this is hitting so I don't even know we're there coming from I just found out about into waters when you told me and went in as a guest to see what was going on my PayPal was hit my eBay and many others and with this site as you know I have to use a real name to sign up so it's a problem . But I thank you for your opinion my wife wants to move now because of this and nothing can be done about it so far

Bryan has made no contact with me since this past weekend, if someone was legit in I.D. theft they'd be doing everything to clear their name or so one would think. In reviewing user profiles for both "Chris Doherty" and "Bryan Calabrese" show both last activity on here as December 3rd. There were no requests for password updates that I can see either (just a job position and residence location change shows in history). Bryan's wife's maiden name is Christine Doherty. Coincidence? Not anymore in my eyes it's just too easy to connect the dots especially with the info David found on Clustermaps. The 67 that Virgil bought from "Chris" came from "Bryan", apparently the only deal he made good on. I believe in giving the benefit of doubt when there is questionable circumstances but in this case that window has passed. If the status of anyone caught in this mess changes please post up as soon as possible.

Does the IW webserver cache IP addresses?
Seems like a quick check of the IP login's for Calabrese and Dougherty would prove this out if they are coming from the same location.

Also an IP address should be able to be tracked to a home address and whoever gets billed by the ISP provider...

Does the IW webserver cache IP addresses?
Seems like a quick check of the IP login's for Calabrese and Dougherty would prove this out if they are coming from the same location.

Also an IP address should be able to be tracked to a home address and whoever gets billed by the ISP provider...
Glad you mentioned this, went and did some further digging. While his provider has floating IPs (typical these days) I think this shows some of what you are asking....
calabresedohertySept4.jpgcalabresedohertyNov23.jpgcalabresedohertyDec3.jpg

If I were to purchase from an unknown person on here id ask several on here till I either trusted or not. Many have asked me about sellers most of them ive bought from. If they are slow about finishing the transaction I warn who ever asks PS a quick check of IMPBA and Namba sites show neither are members

Last edited:
Well, this Brian Guy sent a PM to me on Dec 1 in reference to RsEvo 91. Dont know the guy...Thought it was a scam for the jump. Told him send me picture of the head and piston, never heard back from him...I know why.

Another thing that makes me question him, as I have been reading these post and have no fight in the game, is that he blames FedEx. Yes there was a disgruntled employee that had thrown packages down a ravine but that took place in Alabama. If I'm correct you are in Missouri and If he is in New Jersey so there is no way that your package would have gone through Alabama. Just adds to the fact that he can't be trusted. I read through the buy/sell thread last night and saw where a lot of members were waiting on products from him and then I read this thread. I would definitely avoid doing business with him.
One thing I can tell you. I sent a boat part to a buddy in New Hampshire. Actually two packages on the same day at the same time. 2 separate boxes going to the same address. One he received the next day. The second for some reason went from my place in Maine to New Jersey back to New Hampshire. If I didn’t see it, I wouldn’t have believed it. So to say something wound up rerouted has happened but this guy clearly ripped off a bunch of people right before Christmas is very sad!! There’s no excuse for that!

Don,
I talked with my son about those IP addresses. Those all originate from Seattle area. So maybe there is something to this about his identity. This is all a little over my head, but his says there is no way to track it down to a specific place other than general area. It could be the case that someone is logging in with a VPN thru the Seattle VPN server. Since you looking at 3 different IP addresses. Most people IP addresses dont change that often.
Mike

Even if he was hacked the paypal would have still went into his real bank account. there is those 2 little payments to confirm the paypal and since the first payment went through and he shipped that 67 even if he was hacked he could have refunded all of us and not closed both paypal accounts right after he decided to run and hide. I never went to my bank and asked if I could get a refund did anyone else get there money back ?

Don,
I talked with my son about those IP addresses. Those all originate from Seattle area. So maybe there is something to this about his identity. This is all a little over my head, but his says there is no way to track it down to a specific place other than general area. It could be the case that someone is logging in with a VPN thru the Seattle VPN server. Since you looking at 3 different IP addresses. Most people IP addresses dont change that often.
Mike
It depends on who you're with service wise from my understanding. I went back and looked at my own IP history on here and it changed daily and sometimes twice in a day, all from the same location. Again, he was sent 3 different ways to contact me via the vendor he had convo with and there hasn't been a peep. Does that sound like someone trying to clear their name? Just doesn't seem to add up............

Latest posts

Back