9th Annual Batavia Race Aug 6th & 7th

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstevens

The race flyers has been posted and Pre-Registration is not open.

Who will be the new "Spec Series (**SS**) Champ?

Who will be the 2005 B.A.D. Driver sponsored by BBY Racing?

Who will get knocked out of the Top 10?

Who will get into the Top 10?

Who will get 2 wins and a Rank?

Find out at www.BataviaRC.com :ph34r:

You have some cool classes Jeff. Looks like a challenge to the namba racers. They will have to step up and rethink their normal setups to win. Some will not be up for the challenge which is to bad! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Pagemaster said:
You have some cool classes Jeff. Looks like a challenge to the namba racers. They will have to step up and rethink their normal setups to win. Some will not be up for the challenge which is to bad! :D
104452[/snapback]

At the rate the Gas/Nitro guys change the Namba FE rules, who can keep up with it? I know I cannot....

Many of the sprint classes are the same as that other org. As far as Endurance goes it is always a challenge to make the boat as fast as possible while trying to make runtime.

As always our Crackerbox Ironman continues its dominence in popularity.

The intererest in our new Spec Series seems like it will be big hit as well.

Like in Field of Dreams, you build a park and they will come. One of our favorite and amazing staples in Batavia is and always has always been Ed Hughey.

Hopfully we will see you there!.....

Jeff

jstevens said:
At the rate the Gas/Nitro guys change the Namba FE rules, who can keep up with it? I know I cannot....
104453[/snapback]

Interesting perspective. I'm trying to think of an FE rule that Gas/Nitro guys have changed and can't come up with one going back 10 or 15 years when the FE rulebook was first created.

I can think of 4 changes in the 5 years I've been member, all proposed by FE only members.

Ah well.

Sorry I can't make it this year. Hope you have a great race.

I guess the word on the street is that you asked some Nitro guys to vote and back some of your rule changes? :D I have no idea myself, nor do I care.

thanks

Steve

drobie said:
jstevens said:
104453[/snapback]

Interesting perspective. I'm trying to think of an FE rule that Gas/Nitro guys have changed and can't come up with one going back 10 or 15 years when the FE rulebook was first created.

I can think of 4 changes in the 5 years I've been member, all proposed by FE only members.

Ah well.

Sorry I can't make it this year. Hope you have a great race.

104462[/snapback]

Hope I didn't offend you Terry. It was more like a challenge to you guys in the area. Jeff didn't seem to be getting much response with his posts on the race.

Doug has done a really good back door Clinton like job of trying to kill Batavia, I'll say it. Now he has NAMBA to push his agenda.

my 2 cents...

thanks

Steve

Pagemaster said:
Hope I didn't offend you Terry. It was more like a challenge to you guys in the area. Jeff didn't seem to be getting much response with his posts on the race.
104476[/snapback]

Steve V, no you didn't.

I'm offended by the implication that the NAMBA rule changes that took 6 months, countless phone calls and about a zillion emails to propose were somehow adopted by calling in favors or some such nonsense. I was personally involved as were many others. ALL FE guys. ALL dedicated to the hobby and not bent on hurting a particular venues attendance. That's rediculous. The more I think on it the more offended I get too.

Moving right along.

I notice that P spec offshore is 3 minutes on a standard oval and hydro hulls are legal as long as they are plastic. Did I read that right? What makes it offshore? 3 minute of run time?

I'm surprised Batavia doesn't make P Spec hydro more similar to LSH. There's a lot of LSH boats set up for 10 laps on a NAMBA oval in the Midwest. Why have them reinvent their setups?

oh well. what do I know. notta!

"I'm surprised Batavia doesn't make P Spec hydro more similar to LSH. There's a lot of LSH boats set up for 10 laps on a NAMBA oval in the Midwest. Why have them reinvent their setups?"

A) Class Rules:

Hull Classification: Must resemble the Unlimited sport style boats such as Miss Budweiser, Taifun, Tornado, etc. Boats usually have a cockpit, cowling, wing, etc. No Rigger conversions.

Hull Material: Open, Sport Hydro meeting the above classification.

Boat Prop: Plastic or Fiber prop only. NO Beryllium Copper, NO Metal.

Batteries: 12 Cells - Any Sub-C type or smaller, NiCad or NIMH only.

Motor: 700 size motor. Graupner 8.4v, SS1, Fine Cordite, Etc. Should be less than $80.

Motor: For those with gearboxes twin Chameleon Motors a legal

Batavia has a club and the club makes the rules. The class was started out 10+ years ago as box stock and has changed as years have went past. The difference was that you don't just take you burshless motor out and have another P sport hydro with a weaker motor. Of course now the only difference is the plastic prop.

Offshore is running on the M course, something the Europeans do. The plastic part was invented in MN if I recall correctly, it's no longer plastic now.

"P Spec Offshore **SS** (S)(E) Duration: (3 Minute, Super M-Course)

A) Class Rules.

Hull Classification: Any Offshore style mono or cat.

Hull Decoration: Must have driver area indicating figures, realistic drivers compartment or realistic cowling built into hull. Must resemble a real Offshore style boat with the feel that someone is in the boat driving it.

Hull Material: Any.

Boat Prop: Any.

Motor: Any 700BB Style Motor, Graupner, SS1, Fines, etc... No Gearboxes. "

wow is it deep in here or what.

I guess I had some guys I respected pegged wrong.

like Terry I busted my ass getting some of rules right and people want to say we got the nitro and gas guys to vote for it.. My ass.. look at the votes and look at the FE members you will see that it was 99% FE

sjslhill said:
A) Class Rules:

Hull Classification: Must resemble the Unlimited sport style boats such as Miss Budweiser, Taifun, Tornado, etc. Boats usually have a cockpit, cowling, wing, etc. No Rigger conversions.

Motor: 700 size motor. Graupner 8.4v, SS1, Fine Cordite, Etc. Should be less than $80.

Batavia has a club and the club makes the rules.  The class was started out 10+ years ago as box stock and has changed as years have went past.  The difference was that you don't just take you burshless motor out and have another P sport hydro with a weaker motor.  Of course now the only difference is the plastic prop.

Offshore is running on the M course, something the Europeans do.  The plastic part was invented in MN if I recall correctly, it's no longer plastic now.

"P Spec Offshore **SS** (S)(E) Duration:  (3 Minute, Super M-Course)

A) Class Rules.

Hull Decoration: Must have driver area indicating figures, realistic drivers compartment or realistic cowling built into hull. Must resemble a real Offshore style boat with the feel that someone is in the boat driving it.

104493[/snapback]

Are those the rules or are these the rules?

http://www.bataviarc.com/images/2005%20Bat...er/Page%202.pdf

P Spec offshore on that page is clearly any mono or hydro hull and there is no mention of an M course. Wont the visitors be thrilled when the discover the left turn? Yeeha! My oval boats don't go left to save their lives.

The only place I did the M course mentioned was for the "N M-Course (S)(E)" class and for Crackerbox. Crackerbox was counter clockwise rotation. Holy cow. That should be a riot to race.

That's great that the club decides the rules. That's exactly the way it's supposed to be. We do that with our crazy non sanctioned classes too. Sometimes we flat out blow it too. LOL N2 Sport Hydro with brushed only motors for example. What a drag that turned out to be. On BL they're an absolute riot.

If your going to host a race and ask folks to attend it just seems sensible to me to offer classes that your guest will be familiar with. Otherwise you run the risk of ending up with an expensive club race. That's why we've tried to offer the odd classes for guys to play with and the staple classes guys are accustomed too running combined in one smelly stinken pile of racing madness.

You can't argue with Batavias success though so more power to em.

http://www.bataviarc.com/01-d-Race-Class-Rules.html#12

I am sure that Jeff can comment on the flyer. This is Bataiva's 9th year.

T.S.Davis said:
sjslhill said:
A) Class Rules:

Batavia has a club and the club makes the rules.  The class was started out 10+ years ago as box stock and has changed as years have went past.  The difference was that you don't just take you burshless motor out and have another P sport hydro with a weaker motor.  Of course now the only difference is the plastic prop.

Offshore is running on the M course, something the Europeans do.  The plastic part was invented in MN if I recall correctly, it's no longer plastic now.

"P Spec Offshore **SS** (S)(E) Duration:  (3 Minute, Super M-Course)

A) Class Rules.

104493[/snapback]

Are those the rules or are these the rules?

http://www.bataviarc.com/images/2005%20Bat...er/Page%202.pdf

P Spec offshore on that page is clearly any mono or hydro hull and there is no mention of an M course. Wont the visitors be thrilled when the discover the left turn? Yeeha! My oval boats don't go left to save their lives.

The only place I did the M course mentioned was for the "N M-Course (S)(E)" class and for Crackerbox. Crackerbox was counter clockwise rotation. Holy cow. That should be a riot to race.

That's great that the club decides the rules. That's exactly the way it's supposed to be. We do that with our crazy non sanctioned classes too. Sometimes we flat out blow it too. LOL N2 Sport Hydro with brushed only motors for example. What a drag that turned out to be. On BL they're an absolute riot.

If your going to host a race and ask folks to attend it just seems sensible to me to offer classes that your guest will be familiar with. Otherwise you run the risk of ending up with an expensive club race. That's why we've tried to offer the odd classes for guys to play with and the staple classes guys are accustomed too running combined in one smelly stinken pile of racing madness.

104508[/snapback]

Intersting Classes. No True Offshore Classes? Jeff any incling to maybe throw a demo big cell count class to peek any interest?

Just a though.

do you hear that?...silence.....that's the sound of me staying out of a Namba / Batavia argument ! I like Batavia and I like running Namba events too. I guess I just like racing boats and not arguing about whose rules are better :eek: I will run under whatever rules the host puts up there.

I do agree that there is value to some standardization. You will notice many moves in that direction over the last few years. And as Jeff stated, this is the first year that the sprint classes are identical to Namba rules (used to be 4 laps, but changes were made ....now 5 laps....in order to align better with other mid-west (namba) events). I think Jeff has done a great job of offering standard classes, but keeping true to the spirit of Batavia which is offering alot of spec classes to encourage newcomers to the hobby and unique signature classes (like Crackerbox Ironman).

Howard: good point on the high cell count offshore exhibition. 2 of the highlights in Mich were seeing the 1/8 UL hydros, but also those BIIIIIIIG offshore classes. They really had my "gotta have that" juices flowing! How 'bout a few of you guys coming out to the race and bring some of those big offshore boats. I am sure we could ask Jeff to find some time to fit 'em in. That would be great!

The rules on the flyer are pulled off the Website.

Which is why the website is referenced. Which is why I told people if they see anything funny let me know.

P Spec offshore on that page is clearly any mono or hydro hull and there is no mention of an M course.  Wont the visitors be thrilled when the discover the left turn?  Yeeha!  My oval boats don't go left to save their lives.
On the website there is a reference to it under the rules. An Offshore boat should be able to turn left and right.

The only place I did the M course mentioned was for the "N M-Course (S)(E)" class and for Crackerbox.  Crackerbox was counter clockwise rotation.  Holy cow.  That should be a riot to race.
Crackerbox Ironman is one of our best classes. It is definately a "Riot"!

That's great that the club decides the rules.  That's exactly the way it's supposed to be.  We do that with our crazy non sanctioned classes too.  Sometimes we flat out blow it too. LOL  N2 Sport Hydro with brushed only motors for example.  What a drag that turned out to be.  On BL they're an absolute riot.
If your going to host a race and ask folks to attend it just seems sensible to me to offer classes that your guest will be familiar with.  Otherwise you run the risk of ending up with an expensive club race.  That's why we've tried to offer the odd classes for guys to play with and the staple classes guys are accustomed too running combined in one smelly stinken pile of racing madness. 

You have to remember the rules that Batavia has been following has a long tradition since 1988 with the Amp Eaters. The rules are based off what the club members deem best for racing. There is always room for newer classes or classes that benefit the hobby. Unfortunately some classes go onto what I call the chopping block. Some of that is to make room for expanding classes the other side is to stop running a class that has lost popularity.

Crackerbox has been a class that has come back with a Vengance...

I am glad you are reading through the rules. I challenge you to come to Batavia and walk away with our black "Event Winner" shirt. Maybe you might have a good day and make a Ranking....

Jeff

sjslhill said:
Doug has done a really good back door Clinton like job of trying to kill Batavia, I'll say it.  Now he has NAMBA to push his agenda.
That is so untrue. stupid and thoughtless that I'm at a loss of words. Suggesting change to the organizer is a far cry from "trying to kill" the event.

I'd love to go to Batavia, but there are a myriad of reasons it won't be happening this year. A darkly comic irony of your statement is that it would be more likely that going to Batavia could kill me given the situation I'm dealing with.

In my first post in this thread, I commented on a statement that was misleading and untrue, I didn't say anything about the rules nor did I comment on the race.

photohoward1 said:
Intersting Classes.  No True Offshore Classes?
104536[/snapback]

Offshore is running on the 1/10th mile course using all the buoys including the start finish. In previous years we had used the M-Course buoys which stuck out the bottom of the 1/10th mile course by 40 feet.

In past years we ran both CCW and CW for Offshore. Some guys complained and I polled the club members who ran the class. If it was me I would have perfered both directions.

I don't know what your reference is to a true Offshore class is? Remember what we offer is more of an affordable (S)tock version than some of the bigger classes that are out there. Not saying what the other clubs do is bad, this is just what Batavia is offering.

Jeff any incling to maybe throw a demo big cell count class to peek any interest?
What do you have in mind Howard?

If we did something I would put it in at lunch. If you put together 5 guys who want to run it, somebody is already willing to put a bounty on it for the winner....

Looking forward to seeing you again in Batavia.

Jeff

sjslhill said:
I guess the word on the street is that you asked some Nitro guys to vote and back some of your rule changes?   :D    I have no idea myself, nor do I care.
That's garbage too. Al Waters and Dave Bespitch are the only nitro guys I know. All members can vote on every rule change. I never asked ANYONE to vote a certain way.

That fact is (according to some long time NAMBA members) some nitro guys vote for FE rules because they think if someone goes to the trouble to propose change, it's worth supporting them. Most of the nitro membership abstains from FE votes.

Do you make this stuff up as you go Steve?

kensmith said:
I just like racing boats and not arguing about whose rules are better  :eek:   I will run under whatever rules the host puts up there.
I totally agree.

The rules in many cases are part of the fun to the racing. Although in some cases people don't like to change or adapt. I guess that is why I like adjustable struts.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back