'82 Executone, and 83 Speedy Blueprinting (Blue) and 83 Miss Rock KISW Build Thread

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the T6 is a hot boat. I would be glad to draw up boats like that if anyone has the plans. I have been offered a couple of plan sets so far, but some of them were just not that popular of a boat, so it would be kind of a one-off build. The Oberto, Budweiser boats, Circus twin wing boats are plans I would like to get since I know multiple people would be able to utilize the design. Mike

Well, I just worked out something with Bob Howard for the Dewalt 8806 plans, which have the beautiful '91 Madison framing, so I am going to do that set right now since it does the Jasper, Frosted Flakes, and maybe some others people might be interested in. Sounds like you know what you are looking for with your boats! If you need any of your framing put on CAD, just let me know, and I can help you out with that. Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, i just sent off a file to the Laser cutter for a 1/16th scale Thriftway, some sheeting for the 8255 builds, Bobs 8255 framing set, and the framing for the Miller High Life/ Circus hull. If anyone else needs anything, its not to late to ask as I can send in another request. Mike

The problem with the 1999 Miss Madison is that the plan set I got from Roger is for the Bud T-2 with a slightly modified color sheet. The plans are fairly close for when the boat was first built as Ron Jones used a lot of Bud features in the 8806 hull. The problem starts in 1990, when the boat was redone to run turbine power. The plans I got from Roger are now only guidelines as I had to redesign the whole boat except the sponsons to make it close to accurate. The boat now has a 22" rear picklefork with the tails mounted on top of the shoes with the trailing edge even with the shoe transom at deck level. The bottom is also totally different from what the T-2/3 has. I would almost have to redraw the plans as I built the boat and send them to you to digitize. Two other things I did were resize the tunnel as the Madison's is 84" wide and not the generally accepted 88" of the T-2/3 (I measured) and made the bullnoses at scale width. This narrowed the engine bay so that all the commercially made cowls won't fit. Are you sure you would want to tackle my redesigned Madison?

As for the Oberto, it's based on the T-5 and Elam, not the T-6. I got plans for the T-5 prior to Roger's death and he told me a few things that need to be done to make the plans work. I'm waiting for August so I can get the rest of the dimensions I need to redraw some of the frames ACCURATELY for the Oberto. I know the canoes are WRONG, just not sure how wrong. The botttom is also wrong, mostly in dimensions of panels, again requiring some redesign. Can you tell I go for perfect B) :)
I'd looked at my old emails. Found Rogers before his death. Told me plan #172 should/will work for the 07 U-1 Oberto. Thats the Boat I really really want to build. :D

Build is looking great!

Just a little concerned on what I'm reading here re copyright etc.

As I see it your fine to use the plans for your own use.

But selling kit's Hmmm???

Well, I guess if redoing the plans, correcting the many many errors the original plans seem to have, and making a workable framing set is an issue, I won't do it. In all actuality, I am reproducing a full size real boat scaled down. If the general con census is this is a bad idea, I will not do any further boats. No problem. I was wondering if this would come up. Mike

Just because some are off of newtons plans and gone back over to straiten them out. Just remember you got other guy who build newtons boats to make fiberglass plugs out of them to make fiberglass hull to sell to the public. I can name a few guys and companys that are doing that. This guy is selling the kits not plans,so I see nothing wrong with that at all. This helps the guys who dont have bandsaws and other wood working tool to cut these boats out with. spoonerfcrx I would at least do the T5 T6 boat because this hull is so unaversal/simmilar to most of the unlimited that are racing today. I bet this would be a hot ticket hull for you to do and sell.So please reconciter your toughts about it.

I want to see what others opinions are before I proceed doing any more. I know its a good thing, but if its copyright infringement, I want none of that! Anyone with comments, please post as I would like to hear your opinions. You are right tho, a lot of guys make boats built from these plans, then make plugs, molds, and sell kits. Heck, My Smokin Joes epoxy hull is a prime example! Mike

I want to see what others opinions are before I proceed doing any more. I know its a good thing, but if its copyright infringement, I want none of that! Anyone with comments, please post as I would like to hear your opinions. You are right tho, a lot of guys make boats built from these plans, then make plugs, molds, and sell kits. Heck, My Smokin Joes epoxy hull is a prime example! Mike
Mike, I don't really see what the issue could be. Your not selling the plans. The plans are mainly a starting point. Possibly an email or call to David Newton would clear things up? The way I see it, your building the boat kit may encourage more people to buy the 3-view plans for the color schemes from David Newton (Newton Marine) and everyone wins. When I do a boat, even if its a glass version like a muck (my Miss US) or Mcintyre hull (Bardahl) like I have done or am doing, I always get the 3-view plans from Newton.....

Mike, I don't really see what the issue could be. Your not selling the plans. The plans are mainly a starting point. Possibly an email or call to David Newton would clear things up? The way I see it, your building the boat kit may encourage more people to buy the 3-view plans for the color schemes from David Newton (Newton Marine) and everyone wins. When I do a boat, even if its a glass version like a muck (my Miss US) or Mcintyre hull (Bardahl) like I have done or am doing, I always get the 3-view plans from Newton.....
There is no infringement! You are not selling the plans you are selling frame kits. This is just like many kit cutters in the rc airplane hobby. People will still need to purchase plans for assembly and painting. As stated above, there are several boats available as fiberglass hulls that are built directly from Newton plans including Mr Thomas' new Joe's hull and Mr Guilitieri's T-6 hull that is soon to arrive. Moreover, if anyone has attempted to use Newton plans one would recognize that they serve a a starting point and that modifications need to be made to make the boats square and to make the parts fit. We also must remember that Mr. Newton goal in designing the plans was to help the rest of us enjoy the wonderful hobby of racing scale hydro's. What Mike is doing is allowing others to experience Mr Newton's passion, by making the build up of these boats easier and in turn lowering one of the barriers to entry in the class.

My last little point is that almost anyone who builds a scale boat has made an infringement, including the gentleman who brought this arguement up, when a decal representing a company is slapped on the sides of the hull. Some of the folks selling graphics do have approval from the companies to reproduce their signage but not everyone gets that permission. Case in point would be "home made" Budweiser decals as an example.

My two cents.

Excellent argument Kevin! I am actually having to modify the plans quite a bit just to get the correct fitment as well. Probably modifying them over 25%. Mike

There is no infringement! You are not selling the plans you are selling frame kits. This is just like many kit cutters in the rc airplane hobby. People will still need to purchase plans for assembly and painting. As stated above, there are several boats available as fiberglass hulls that are built directly from Newton plans including Mr Thomas' new Joe's hull and Mr Guilitieri's T-6 hull that is soon to arrive.
Yup Spot on, the copyright protects the work of another individual. The thing that is being sold here is a boat kit not plans. Now if somebody copies the bolat kit as opposed to the plans, for sale to the public then the copyright battle is back on again.

Cheers

Bob

and some like me that dont need color sheets because they painted a particular boat they got it down pat or have pics to go by and they have the eye for it.. Duck I was going to name those guys who'd used/built newtons boat to make fuberglass hulls to sell them to the public that some cant build or dont have the time to build. I see no copiewright infrigments hear. Like I said before the T-5 and T-6 would be a big ticket selling hull kit for you.

I may talk to David. I just don't know him, so its tough to come out of the woodwork and ask ya know. Anyways, here is the Executone hull. Got my servo area boxed out, strut mounted, and aluminum plate added to the transom. I included some pictures of my good friends Lauterbach Blazer marine gas boat I am building right now as well. Enjoy, Mike

IMGP1732Large.jpg

IMGP1733Large.jpg

IMGP1735Large.jpg

IMGP1734Large.jpg

Is that hunk of aluminum your transom doubler? Holy Heck!!! That's a beafy set up! The boats look great Mike you have a great talent for the woodwork!!!!!

Yeah, I was discussing the transom with Dick Loeb, who is getting one of the three boats, and we were both a little worried that there is not much transom height, so the rudder load would be very great. Transom is only 1-1/16" tall! I am sure 1/8" thick would have been fine, but I had the 1/4" laying around, so I added it. Should hurt anything! It is a bit overkill I am sure, lol. Thanks for the kind words tho. Mike

Latest posts

Back