'82 Executone, and 83 Speedy Blueprinting (Blue) and 83 Miss Rock KISW Build Thread

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
This is a build thread for:

'82 Executone

'83 Speedy Blueprinting

'83 Miss Rock KISW

I took the plans and redrew them on CAD, fixed the errors in fitment, sent them to a Laser cutter, and in less than a week, all my framing plans came back ready to start. I did have some frames come back the wrong thickness, once that is resolved, I will begin. It would have taken me a month to do this by hand for 3 hulls! Once I get templates for sheeting made, I will then get those laser cut as well. One thing at a time tho! Here is what the framing came back looking like. I am pretty impressed! All my future Gas Tunnels and other designs will be made this way in the future. Mike

execframing.jpg

IMGP1629Large.jpg

IMGP1630Large.jpg

IMGP1631Large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, for the price, and the top quality Koskisen plywood, it is a no brainer! Mike

What is the name of the Laser Cutter and contact info. I have plans for some boats in CAD that would be nice to have cut. Thanks

Cheers,

Kevin

I scanned in the plans as a .pdf, dropped it into Autocad, then I took the framing, drew it piece by piece, fixing all the front, rear, side to side crossing points as the Newton plan crossings do not match up. I fixed all those issues so that when you drop a cross member on the keelson, both the center former and keelson heights will match spot on. If I just copied the plans line for line, I would have a mess as there were variations of 3/16" or more in some spots. I lined all the areas that you drop in 3/16" spruce strips so that they run square front to back as they should. I do have 3D capability, but don't use it that much so I these are still in a 2D format, but every possible thing that needed squaring up, reshaping, or fixing was done. Once I have all the framing together, I will start sheeting templates, and get those laser cut. I really want this to be a nice kit when I am done with it. Mike

I will begin framing Thursday evening, so that will be the next update, hopefully!

Well, I got the corrected framing for the 8255 hulls today, and the framing for the '55 Miss Thriftway (1/10th scale framing, but I have 1/8th scale done as well on CAD). I spent 3.5 hours tonight working on the 8255 and got most all the framing complete, and 5 minutes on the Thriftway at my office just checking framing before I send it to its owner as he is going to do the sheeting templates. The framing all fit about perfect, if there is such a thing with wood! The only change I might make is to the kit I end up selling is to reduce the basswood sheeting batten from 1/4" sticks to 1/8" or 3/16". I may leave it 1/4" and use Balsa as the extra width will make gluing framing easy, and it will have enough thickness to be strong, and still extremely light weight. We will see. It was extremely easy to CA. I also measured from right front sponson tip to left rear transom tip, and vise versa..both diagonal measurements came in at 44.75", so the squareness of the framing is dead on. Anyways, enjoy the pics! Mike

IMGP1709.jpg

IMGP1708.jpg

IMGP1707.jpg

IMGP1710.jpg

IMGP1705.jpg

Well, I got the corrected framing for the 8255 hulls today, and the framing for the '55 Miss Thriftway (1/10th scale framing, but I have 1/8th scale done as well on CAD). I spent 3.5 hours tonight working on the 8255 and got most all the framing complete, and 5 minutes on the Thriftway at my office just checking framing before I send it to its owner as he is going to do the sheeting templates. The framing all fit about perfect, if there is such a thing with wood! The only change I might make is to the kit I end up selling is to reduce the basswood sheeting batten from 1/4" sticks to 1/8" or 3/16". I may leave it 1/4" and use Balsa as the extra width will make gluing framing easy, and it will have enough thickness to be strong, and still extremely light weight. We will see. It was extremely easy to CA. I also measured from right front sponson tip to left rear transom tip, and vise versa..both diagonal measurements came in at 44.75", so the squareness of the framing is dead on. Anyways, enjoy the pics! Mike

IMGP1709.jpg

IMGP1708.jpg

IMGP1707.jpg

IMGP1710.jpg

IMGP1705.jpg
Nice Work!!

Wish i had access to laser cutters.

Phil.

Mike, when you get ready to sell these kits, let me know. I would luv to build one.

cheers

Mike, the "Price is Right" for me.....and I'll look through my stash of plans and if I see anything good, I'll let you know.... they are yours for free if it will help. This idea you got going is the best thing I've seen in years.... I think I have a great set for the turbine lite all star and various others.....

Duck, That sounds great about having some plans laying around. I enjoy drawing them up, and preserving history as well! I will keep you updated once I have the sheeting done and ready to cut.

Hydro, I see exactly what you are saying. I think what you are saying can be done very simply!

On another note I am guessing from picking it up in its current form last night, I doubt it weights more than 2 pounds in its present state!

Back