46" Gas F1 tunnel build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
getting there slowly,finished all the filling on the hull and gonna start final sand down ready for sealing it,just the canopy left to do now and make sure it all lines etc.

DSC01551.jpg

DSC01552.jpg

Also while awaiting for filler to dry i decided to have a play around with some foam & FG matting and make a false OB cowl to cover the exhaust for looks more than anything

DSC01550.jpg

DSC01549.jpg

once fully cured ill dig out the foam and join it together make a bracket for it and see how it looks before doing final finish on it

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks really great Darren.

When zipp boat is back from painter and it is ready to run.

Next project synthar,ran it with a outboard i think it run better with a inboard.

synthar tunnel hull.JPG

hi mart

Thanks

youll have to post some pics

nice looking F1 in your pic

couldnt comment on the synthar hull never run 1,but maybe worth a try theres some inboards synthar out there and seem to run well.

Hi all

been working on the false cowl,got it joined and rough trimed

drill the hole out the back for it to slide over exhaust and a quick test with rudder,exhaust,exhaust bracket just to make sure it doesnt fowl anything

see what you think.

DSC01555.jpg

DSC01556.jpg

DSC01557.jpg

DSC01553.jpg

Hi Darren,

Your outboard cowl looks great,f1 tunnel need a outboard motor thats just my opinion.

The synthar tunnel is a good boat, i bought the centersection part and build the sponsen.

Last week sent my zenoah cylinder to a tuner saturday get it back show some pics.

I like nitro outboards K&b Nova rossi Thunder tiger

hornet tunnel.JPG

Cheers

yeah i agree it needs the cowl for more scale looks + it hides the exhaust LOL

1 day ill get an outboard but my new project comes tomorrow so will be mega busy working on them all LOL

Hehehe have the same problem mega busy.

My nitro boats are ready to go,let the summer begin lol.

Weather is not good here in the netherlands rain rain and rain

Quick update

finished final sanding yesterday and applied 1st coat of sealer and rubbed down this morning.

Also decided to apply 0.6 oz glasscloth aswell,1 side of top deck done will do other side shortly and get some pics.

The false outboard cowl is coming along nicely and my water outlets have arrived so will install them aswell pics of that to follow aswell.

Rgds F1

Both sides of top deck covered in 0.6 glass cloth,just gotta leave it now to fully cure and trim and sand back the edges.

DSC01566.jpg

DSC01567.jpg

DSC01568.jpg

DSC01569.jpg

Been playing around with the false cowl,got it all sanded,drilled some holes and cut a slot which will be meshed in alloy,also made mounting bracket (actually pinched a of meccano of the kids LOL)

Inserted large bore water outlets.

DSC01570.jpg

DSC01571.jpg

DSC01572.jpg

Also just about to start laying the 0.6oz glasscloth on the bottom of hull.

DSC01573.jpg

Great glass work man! Thats very very smooth! I dont have the patience or skill to get glass to lay out like that.

The sponsons are done now.

DSC01576.jpg

DSC01577.jpg

DSC01578.jpg

DSC01579.jpg

DSC01580.jpg

next job is trim edges when cured and lightly sand the whole hull and give a 2nd coat,also finish the internal sealing then she ready for primer.

i assume your using standard resin eh? Not epoxy? As fast as it is setting, would almost have to be.

nope i use deluxe EZE COTE its brill,waterproof,no odour and when used with the glasscloth leaves a good finish

about 20-30 mins

cos is waterbased what i do is thin some down for 1st coat only need a drop of water for 1st coat leave it to fully cure then give it a light sanding down.

then lay the glass cloth over the hull,i use 0.6 oz as its goes down well and really workable into or round the corners or awkward areas, use quality nylon brush then start brushing the sealer on ( but i dont thin it this time) leave the edges make sure you get all the edges,any internal corners use an old credit or bank card and press it in to the corners.

Once done a cured the edges that are over hanging use a wooden block with some 320 grit and gently rub edge,this removes the over hanging material but remember you dont need to do it to much.just literally 1-2 light rubs in 1 direction.

then once all the excess material removed repeat process till the whole hull is covered.

once the whole hull is done i leave it over nite then give i a light rub down all over ready for final coat,this way youve got enough on to completely fill the grain and a nice smooth finish to primer to.

more pics soon

Left it over nite and sanded down all edges to remove excess cloth,need to give a light sanding down now ready for final coat of sealer.

DSC01585.jpg

DSC01582.jpg

DSC01584.jpg

DSC01583.jpg

Latest posts

Back