94 Miss Exide Rebuild

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well....i had to take break for a couple of days for my son's graduation and my daughter's Kindergarten celebration but I have put in some major hours on her this weekend and she;s almost ready for hardware. I have a couple small runs in the clear I need to wet sand out and re-shoot but I suspect she'll be ready for the water by next weekend. Not perfect but for me being so NOT a painter I think she turned out pretty good. I don't recommend taking on this paint job as a rookie that's for sure....

Hey Mike,

Man, she looks beautiful!!! Great job resurrecting an old Scale boat. I don't believe old Scale boats ever die - they just get new owners!!! And the TLC starts new with that owner. Graphics look GREAT too, Mike. Who did those?? Har di Har !!! It pays to advertise, Mate.

That hull has more graphics than "Carter has little farter starters". A proverbial floating Billboard. Good for sponsor dollars, bad for those of us trying to recreate some of these liveries. Now I know why I race what I do. I'm not a painter either.

Ding, Ding - - do you hear your phone RB??? CHEERS !!! Bob

Actually, old scales do die. It's just a matter of whether or not someone can reserect the boat from the dead. My Elam is starting to die, stress cracking all over the deck and no real way to repair it without adding a ton of weight
default_unsure.png

It's white........... No, it's Black. " Whatever " - as my Grand Daughter would say.

So today was the big day the Exide was to get back on the water. It's been since 2006 and I must say I've been a bit anxious to run it again. Only thing is my son was going to be driving instead of me. Either way it was nice to get her back on the water again. I met up with Lennard Cuenco at Fremont at about 9:30am. It was going to be too hot run at home and it turned out that it wasn't much better in Fremont but any day at the pond is better then being at home.

I've added some more detail since I last posted. Someone that shall remain nameless once told me it's not a scale boat unless it has lift hooks so here ya go.

I also added some detail around the windshield

The started off well as she took off from the beach and was tracking well up the back straight. I got lucky putting her back together...kind of. I had recorded all my setting on it before I took it apart to the hardware went back on almost exactly where it was when it came off. She ran good before she started surging. I figured maybe the prop was too much load for weather. After some rethinking about it and a prop change that should have fixed it....it turned out it wasn't that at all. It turns out the pipe I had put back in it was not the one I had taken out. I used to run a MACS 13cc in it and for whatever reason i decided to put a Muck in it. Turns out that the pressure fitting on this pipe was too small and causing it to lean out after a few laps. Bummer but an easy fix. The good news is the boat rides and turns exceptionally well first run out. I replaced the the pressure fittign whe I got homme annd we'll be ready to test again in a couple of days. Here's a quick vid Lennard shot of the last run. Only got a lap and half this time and I put her away only to find the issue. Normally I drill out the fittings to about .113 or more if I can. Forgot to do this one. That'll never happen again.

I had hoped my cameraman got the fiurst run because it was longer and she was much faster with the other prop but you get the idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC1qqYCtfrc

We'll try again on Thursday

Glad your back to racing Mike. I have enjoyed spending a few weekends at the lake with Len this year. I'm still a month or more off before getting the Velasco hull done. See you guys at the 17th of Aug. at Minden.

Very nice!

I'll have to make sure my pipe pressure fitting is large enough. I usually use MACS fittings.

Boat looked good, Mike. At least yours was about to corner at speed. Mine, for some reason, wouldn't turn unless I backed off, giving me no more than three or so laps at Rocky Hollow on the 21st.

Back