46" Gas F1 tunnel build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren Elson

Hi guys,been working on this for awhile.wasnt sure where else to post it

Iv designed it from scratch with the help of a special friend who took the time out to help me with this,giving me pointers along the way.

Still got alot of work to do but the main construction is all finished now.

Powered by an RCMK 26cc,5.3hp,2 stroke she should move quite well and hopefully handle what ever i throw at it in terms of handling etc.alot of time and research has gone into this design and build but will find how good she once she hits the wetstuff.

All the hardware is HOR strut,rudder,servo mounts.

The servo is a 20kg,high torque 1/5 for steering,6kg standard MG servo for throttle

5amp UBEC powered by 11.1v,2100,25c Lipo

Iv 1ltr fuel bag

Prop is 7016 /3blade but am going to get some more props to test with

Still got to modify the strut & bracket then mount the stuffing tube in to the hull.

Still got to get some bits and pieces as i go along to complete the build once painted,which for now is what im concentrating on.

Hope you like :

DSC01450.jpg

DSC01434.jpg

DSC01435.jpg

DSC01442.jpg

DSC01444.jpg

DSC01446.jpg

Thought id post it here as normally F1's are outboards,but there really hard to get hold of and too expensive for me at mo aswell.

But hope you like and look forward to reading your comments and pointers as this is my 1st gas ill be running LOL

Looks great man. I'd love to put an outboard on it and see how she runs. My gas outboard aeromarine runs great, but it's design is a little behind the times. I'm glad to see someone else investing some R&D into hull design for this class because it's a lot of fun and they're getting faster an more competitive each race here. Just a little suggesstion, I'd go with a Prather 270 to try as a prop first. Thus far it's the best all around prop I've found as far as speed and stability. The 3 blades are fast but inconsistent and tend to make the hull touchy in the corners. At least that's been my experience with them. Set the 270 as a base because most of the gas guys agree that it's guaranteed to work on most everything.

Hi Jax

Id love and outboard myself,but my funds dont allow it,so had to go second best LOL

Theres no F1 racing here in the UK yet,so i will run with the cat guys then hopefully this will start over to F1's and have an F1 class,but who knows

Cheers for the prop advice theres a UK seller here aswell so will order 1 at a later date.

Rgds Daz

I thought my hotshot 45 was a big tunnel. That things a beast...i bet it will rip too Nice job so far.

Darren, Just wanted you to know I think you might be one of the most talented boat builders I have seen on here or OSE. Your tunnel builds are so realistic its insane. I just wish a good lower unit would come out for the gas outboards. Breaking cables all the time gets old. Keep us posted! Mike

WOW thanks mike,wasnt expecting that,especially from a fellow builder such as yourself i got alot of respect for LOL

I just wish the lowers wasnt so expensive thats my killer

I will defo keep you posted on progress

Rgds Daz

Darren thats a pretty nice hull there. I built a 48'' gas tunnel hull that turned out pretty good runs really good to. I got a G morty drive its a pretty good unit but takes forever to get parts.

Hi Eric

thanks bud,have you got some pics of your tunnel???

Thats my biggest worry about importing an outboard would be the spares,no 1 here in the UK supplies an outboard full stop,beleive iv tried LOL

But when i looked at importing 1,by the time iv paid for instance £300 gbp for the lower,i could pay another £100 in VAT,duty tax and carriage charges,currency fees etc so that £400 just for a lower.

1 of them things just at the moment nothing i can do about it and have to run with what funds and parts are available.

Cheers Daz

Last edited by a moderator:
Just started trimming the canopy and thought id double check the clearnces,holy hell how lucky am i,theres about 4mm between spark cap and canopy and about 8mm either side of the head LOL

I need some practice at fibreglassing but not bad for 1st attemp LOL

Close fit or what
wink_smile.gif

DSC01451.jpg

DSC01452.jpg

DSC01453.jpg

Hey guys,thinking of doing somthing like this to allow air flow into the hull,just done a quick sketch of screen,if i cut the middle piece out ,mesh it then add the CF vinyl round it once painted

DSC01455.jpg

DSC01454.jpg

Hi guys,a concern has arised with the engine reguarding excessive piston wear even after running a couple of hrs.

Im now looking at new topkit for it with liner installed so this should reduce/solve this problem BUT it will also take it up to 28.8cc in a 46" tunnel could get very interesting i think,being my 1st gas build and playing around with 2 strokes im a little unsure how much difference this will make,i will probably run as is to start with to see the difference

I will keep you posted on what iv decided but any help or reguarding this issue would be appreciated

Daz

Hi guys

finished all the fibreglassing now,removed the foam from inside cockpit, cut the screen out and drilled out some big holes in the back of cockpit and in the front of the canopy to allow the air through.

Im pretty happy now all the main construction is done just gotta get it trimmed here and there,abit of filling and final sanded so i can get her sealed up and ready for paint

Im gonna modify the strut and bracket so i can get the stuffing in and lined,also make a support for the stuffing.

DSC01456.jpg

DSC01457.jpg

DSC01458.jpg

DSC01459.jpg

DSC01460.jpg

Hi Guys

Weighed just the hull 10.6 lbs

not sure now whether thats a little on heavy side.

On another note,im made some enquires regarding the the RE engine and there new top kit for it and this is what i got back

Dear Daz,

Thanks for your mail.

We will supply the K30 Top End kit for Side Exhaust engine and Rear exhaust engine(R254, RX254, RZ254) to our all customers in the world at soon.

And, the K30 piston and K30 cylinder is really perfect and excellent performance for Rear Exhaust engines.

So, if you use the K30RZ Top End kit in your RZ254Evo, you will be very good pleasure for excellent performance and without any problems.

feild testing on the water

48 inch mono with 7020 mod prop ------------- 67 mph

Dyno testing

7.2 HP at 14,000 rpm with 2.8 foot ponds of toque.

Peak RPM : 19,000

This above K30S on stock engine.

The K30 cylinder, K30 Top End Kit and K30 engines will become a best seller for RC Gas boat.

Thank you.

Yours truly,

RCMK

From Mr.Park

Hopefully i will have the money saved and can order 1 of these kits in the next 2 wks and the pipe from zippkits
biggrin.gif

Back