.45 outboard "stock" class?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the nice thing about the mod class is they welcome you to run your stock boat with the mods. This does not mean the boats are of equal abilities. Like most racers, I’ve won a few and lost a few more. I too have placed in the top three…in a few nationals and world championships with a stock boat in a few mod classes. Over the years, when I have been beaten in a class, my solution for the next race isn’t “maybe my stock boat will get them next time” it sounds more like “where can get a Nova Rossi with a Cooper pipe, can we spike that Otto hot and to hell with how long the motor lives”.

For those of you reading here to get accurate information that might make them a better racer, please understand that in a group of good competition, well running mod (tune pipes) set ups are usually going to mop the floor with the best stock boats (can mufflers). I do like the idea of having a stock (can muffler set up) class and a separate mod class where you can run your tune pipe or can muffler. A can muffler (stock) class gives the average or beginning racer a better chance at being competitive. It also allows one to focus on the most important thing in racing, “propeller, propeller, propeller” as quoted by Grim Racer. Looking at 40 stock/Outlaw, the speed difference between the fastest to the slowest boat is much closer, and as state before, much more reliable when it counts at the race. For instance, my Outlaw boat has an extremely broad needle (Can Nelson) while my mod 40 (Pipe Nelson) has a very critical needle and set up. Mod 40 (pipe motors) are faster than a can muffler motor, but it is so much more critical to have the correct pipe length, propeller and needle setting. Having a stock/Outlaw/can muffler (call it what you will) would give the average or beginning racer a much better chance at being competitive with a chance at winning. It is more likely to finish the race. If you look at gas and electric, there is a reason why the classes are growing and it isn’t because of the cost, it’s the fact that the boat is a ready to run at the point of purchase. A beginning racer, new to the hobby can buy the right boat, motor and propeller (many options and combinations), sign up for the next race and run. He or she can purchase competitive, race-ready set-up to go out and play with the best just from purchasing the right equipment. On the other hand, a beginning racer in Nitro usually does not have the luxury of purchasing race-ready or the best equipment and then going to a race where he or she can be competitive. The OS has really helped establish the 21 class because the average, beginning racer can buy a motor, a few boat options, and have a set-up that works and can be raced. The 40 tunnel could have easily been a better class for the beginning racer with a can muffler. The 20 stock class is great, however, the boats are little. Having a 40 stock class would allow for bigger boats with the ability to get through rougher water. Personally, I think having a stock and mod class would grow the class as a whole. The key to nitro’s survival is having classes that the average beginner getting in to the hobby can easily race in. This means the access to the right equipment with easy set up and race ready.

Jay H

I'm glad for the interest in the tunnel classes, i did recently purchase an outlaw 45 in hopes of making some tunnel races with you folks in the east! I'm in liberty Texas and nitro is not doing well, we have had a pond dug 200x400 in hopes of hosting some tunnel races in the future! I have been telling the people of interest about the outlaw class and what it takes.The idea of being able to house any 45 mtr lawless lower/k&b ect and a can muffler,seem to have an interest,Thats Good. If you put them in a class with pipes and unlimited rules, that is not going to go over very well with the stock boaters, for the well being of the class to me. The idea is to promote new boaters and old boaters to come to the sport.I have all the class covered sport 20,40 mod 20/40 gas tunnel. All the boats have a purpose ! My wife has the same line up of boats, minus the gas tunnel.We usually over due, thats my bad.Point being all the classes have a place.If you combine them you will lose some racers , why drive to a race that your chances are limited of bringing home the gold!!! In the event that the "mod boat" is having a perfect day, its not going to be fun. You know what the conversation is going to be about on the way home,now i have to buy this or that to compete! To me the intent is to give a racer the option of choosing the class that he or she wants to spend their time and money perfecting there boat in hopes of going to the races and having fun on an even playing field. Right or wrong we will have the outlaw class here in Texas. "the only way to fly, tunnels rule" rick lindow

Last edited by a moderator:
ILL leave this at this I agree with Don Ferrette but at the same time i love tunnel boats also just like i can drive a Twin rigger it also makes me happy to drive a tunnel. When i started racing it was a tunnel 40 stock i still have it to this day.. The WTC has the best tunnel boat racing anywhere but the problem is you don't see those same results anywhere else.

Take the Atlanta spring Nationals as a example where there was only 4 D Tunnels and 3 B Tunnels and 3 Open Tunnels. In B Tunnel 2 out of the 3 that where racing where my boats and the open tunnel class was not going to happen because they did not have the boats but we came together got the boats and ran the class anyways. thats a example of the low turn outs of tunnels in ATL. if you look in the Huntsville entries there's more Sport B tunnels and open tunnel that B Mod Tunnel 3 of the B Mod tunnels are entered are my boats interesting.

Tunnels are very strong in at the WTC and in Florida but its not the same everywhere. i like running my Twin hydro but if i see there's tunnel racing to be done i would not hesitate to enter them in a class especially if the class does not have the boats to Make it i will always support the tunnels in any way i can trust me.

ohh just so you know Ron Shaw had a Rocket D Tunnel and it was a K&B with a Pipe.

i mean no disrespect to anyone but i would still support anything tunnel even if i run the class or not because its not about me its about the hobbie. With that being said MIC You have my full SUPPORT ;)

Julian

Julian,

The reason that the tunnels were not at Huntsville and the Spring Nats was they were at the WTC race, pure and simple, which is the big tunnel draw. If the races were spaced out more I am sure more tunnels would have been at both races. Hopefully in time it willl get sorted out. The Fall Nats in October still has a very large tunnel showing for a race.

Julian,

The reason that the tunnels were not at Huntsville and the Spring Nats was they were at the WTC race, pure and simple, which is the big tunnel draw. If the races were spaced out more I am sure more tunnels would have been at both races. Hopefully in time it willl get sorted out. The Fall Nats in October still has a very large tunnel showing for a race.
i agree with you 100% on that John lets make theses next National Events a good Tunnel turn outs the Huntsville race in July, Nitro Nats and Hobart are going to be great great places for some good Tunnel Racing..

julian

Last edited by a moderator:
Back