World Tunnel Champs - Classes & local rules?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTV Boats

As entry does not open until May I cannot see exactly what classes are running though I assume they will what has run in the past. My family has been involved with the WTC since they ran at Walterboro before Charleston. I was one of the initial promoters for a exclusive tunnel race at the Sowega site and tri-oval racing in Brandon.
I am posting here from an FE racers perspective. In the past the P/limited class had to follow local district rules for motor and ESC. Since they have opened up the ESC issue. Since this is a "World" race I feel a local motor limit at 56.5mm length does not promote Fe tunnel racers supporting this race. NAMBA has a 36X60 official P/l class which does not exist in IMPBA. We have several P/l tunnels next door in Florida and I know of a couple in the past that won't go to Sowega and have to buy a 56.5 motor (very limited availability) and more expensive than the 60mm motor that are plentiful. OSE sells two 56.5 motors the Promarine 2000kv $70 and an SSS 3650 2030 Kv $80. The AQ 2030 is not sold anymore. The SSS 3660 2030 kv $55 and Leopard 3660 2050kv $50. I will take the $50 Leopard all day long over any of those motors. (We set the NAMBA P/L Cat record with what at that time was the legal motor a Aqua Craft 2030 and now run the Leopard which is 4 mph faster)
I hope the power to be will consider making the P/L motor a 60mm limit for a "World" race.
Next is the Full "P" and "Q" classes. Either are not going to have a lot of entries. I have run both in the past and will again. There are now in Florida 8 45 size tunnels running our local Q/Limited rules. That limiting a Q to 40X75mm. Performance in the high 50 to low 60mph range with $50 Flycolor ESC's and $80 motors. I would suggest making a class for Full "P" and Q/Limited combined. A Q/L tunnel could run that class plus full "Q" and open which would promote entries that. I know a couple local FE guys who would make the race with one boat and multiple options.
I will support Tunnel races either way but hope we can be a little progressive and promote new racers.
Mic

I have to agree with mic on both of these classes. It would really be nice to see everyone have the same rules to make it easier to go race.
im hoping to build a q-limited this coming year if possible and the races are offered.
from what I have seen, the q-limited class is a great step up from p-limited and looks to have potential to be a great class
Hopefully after guys from some other districts see how well the boats run, we will start to see other areas join in

This race at the Gilleyland for the World Tunnel Championship is a blast. Lots of good folks and some good racing. Hope you all come!

Back